Dropbox vs Syncplicity vs SugarSync vs Mediafire

There are quite a few free online backup alternatives out there. These seem to be the mostly used ones. Which one do you prefer?

1. Dropbox

2. Syncplicity

3. SugarSync

4. Mediafire

Dropbox here, in terms of functionality its the best. Sugarsync has an awesome 'web only' storage option which i like, but im not gonna pay for any of these without private keys...the idea that someone remotely being able to see my data bothers me which is a possibility with all of these. I know Mozy lets you, but it doesnt have sync. Ive never touched media fire and Syncplicity...ill look into those at a later time

I wrote simple BAT files, which use 7-zip to created encrypted backup archives of my data and send (copy) to dropbox. So, I don't care if anyone from dropbox see my files - he can't stole data. Also I have semi-automated backup solution.

I never tested other solutions, because dropbox does everything I need. But... If you can pick better service, for example with better transfers, just tell me.

Dropbox definitely. I only wish I could select specific folders to sync rather than just the Dropbox. All of my class work is in the Dropbox folder, and so I create aliases on my desktop. It works but not like I would like it to.

BTW, how about a poll?

I use drop box, I looked at many others before going with dropbox. For starters the ones you have listed

Syncplicity - 2GB limit, no ability to increase for free?? Limit 2 computers, drop box unlimited computers can get up to 10GB for FREE - I currently have 6GB, etc.

Sugarsync - no free plan = NEXT

mediafire -- not really in the same arena as dropbox.. Its a file sharing service, ie you upload each file you want to share.. Would not compare to dropbox at all.

I would grab dropbox, upgrade to the beta version (in the forums) 0.8.107 currently - has lan sync, selective sync, etc.

As to the privacy concern with files -- if your tinfoil hat is a bit tight, you can do as suggested an encrypt the files before sync -- either user something as simple a zip tool, or just sync truecrypt encrypted volume, etc.

Dropbox here, syncing on 3 machines:

Server - Windows 7 x64

Workstation @ work - Windows 7 x86

Laptop - Ubuntu 10.4 x64

WTF does dropbox have to do with that overpriced password tool? $39.95 -- your freaking kidding me!! LastPass = FREE! KeePass = FREE.. What could it possible do that the FREE tools do not that would justify $40 ???? Does it you BJ while your generating a password? ;)

WTF does dropbox have to do with that overpriced password tool? $39.95 -- your freaking kidding me!! LastPass = FREE! KeePass = FREE.. What could it possible do that the FREE tools do not that would justify $40 ???? Does it you BJ while your generating a password? ;)

WTF do you keep using "your" when it's "you're"?

I use software that I like and if there's a fee, then there's a fee. For what it's worth, I never paid $40 for it. I happened to purchase the Windows license on sale. It's either $20 for a single license or $30 for family license (5 PCs.)

PS - I don't need a BJ seeing as though it would be impossible to receive. Now move long, k?

Glad you like it -- but again WTF does that have to do with the actual topic of this thread?

I'm reminded of the old saying "You know what they say about ____'s and their money."

So you going to hit me up on improper use of your and you're -- Im a lazy typist, shoot me! Oh sorry that should be I'm -- sorry :rolleyes:

$30 for 1,000 PCs and I would still say you got taken for $30 ;)

Glad you like it -- but again WTF does that have to do with the actual topic of this thread?

I'm reminded of the old saying "You know what they say about ____'s and their money."

So you going to hit me up on improper use of your and you're -- Im a lazy typist, shoot me! Oh sorry that should be I'm -- sorry :rolleyes:

$30 for 1,000 PCs and I would still say you got taken for $30 ;)

You are the one that actually went off topic and took the time to reply to her about 1Password. All she mentioned is that she used 1P with Dropbox at the end of the post. Now just because LastPass and KeePass are free, does not mean they are better than 1Password. I have, and will always use 1Password since it was in Alpha? or Beta (I forget) on Mac. It is the best out there in my own opinion, even though there are a lot of others that will agree with that, there are some, such as yourself, that will disagree. It has further expanded and became much better than it ever was already when it went Mobile and to Windows.

But anyways, this is not the time or place to bother talking further to you on it. You already are set on other software and ignore discounts, etc anyways and do not believe in having to pay for software. Either way, you were the one to actually go off topic first.

As far as the topic goes, I personally use and love Dropbox. Not just because it is free and starts you off with 2GB. But out of all of those choices, I think it is the best but it would also depend on how you plan on using it. If you used it differently, than maybe a service like Mediafire (or Hotfile, Rapidshare, etc) would be better for you. I do not know your situtation though.

"does not mean they are better than 1Password."

And just because you layout $40 for something you can do for free does not mean its better either. Still wanting to know WTF that has to do with using dropbox in the first place.

As to paying for software -- I have lots of little software tools like that I pay for. When there are not free options that do it better.. Currently I have faststone image capture, usb safely remove and sandboxie on this box.

Lets put this to bed, I will just jump on the bandwagon of advertising software that has nothing to do with the topic so we can all feel better.

Drop box is the greatest thing since sliced bread, oh btw it's a life saver when used with faststone capture - you can get a family lic 5 computers for $49.95 so it must be good ;)

"does not mean they are better than 1Password."

And just because you layout $40 for something you can do for free does not mean its better either. Still wanting to know WTF that has to do with using dropbox in the first place.

As to paying for software -- I have lots of little software tools like that I pay for. When there are not free options that do it better.. Currently I have faststone image capture, usb safely remove and sandboxie on this box.

Lets put this to bed, I will just jump on the bandwagon of advertising software that has nothing to do with the topic so we can all feel better.

Drop box is the greatest thing since sliced bread, oh btw it's a life saver when used with faststone capture - you can get a family lic 5 computers for $49.95 so it must be good ;)

Here, let me Google that for you: http://help.agile.ws...ox_syncing.html

If you cannot comprehend why someone uses a particular piece of software, then just don't think about it.

Also, just so you know it is actually Dropbox and not "Drop box".

I use dropbox and love it. It's incredibly fast, and always keeps my files up to date. Even a large file will upload its changes quickly, cause it uploads only what's different in the file...

Sugarsync - no free plan = NEXT

Actually, Sugarsync indeed has a free option - a 2GB plan, with 500MB extra for each referral you make.

Sugarsync is great because you can select the actual folders you want, and it has a no-nonsense interface. Also, you can sync between 2 or more computers and mirror the files - so, for example, I backup my 'Personal Documents' folder to Sugarsync (the cloud), and also have it mirror to my desktop at home - that way, I can use my files either on my laptop or my desktop and they'll be updated in realtime on the other computer. Also, it will be in the cloud.

Dropbox is good, but no selective sync. I guess they're introducing that now with beta versions, but it's a no go for me on that basis, as well being a bit too controlling over what I sync (making its own folders, etc.). Syncplicity was a resource hog when I tried it, and they only have a beta version of a Mac client.

I guess I'm so pro-Sugarsync because I've had issues with online backup in the past in having bloated clients, or slow upload/download speeds, etc. - whereas Sugarsync just gets the job done and I spend more time working on my documents than actually maintaining a backup of them - the way it should be. Supports Mac and Windows alike - my laptop (MacBook Pro) syncs to the cloud, as well as my desktop (Windows). Never had a problem.

It also has sharing options to share individual files or folders, photo albums, etc. etc.

Mediafire is a godsend for quick uploading of files and sharing them with people. But it's not an automated backup facility, so as mentioned by others, you can't compare.

Go with Sugarsync! I rate it higher than Dropbox - and this is from someone who's actually tried both and just wants to use what works best.

Dropbox as it supports Windows/Mac/Linux and sugarsync does not support Linux, Dropbox is very simple even a n00b could use it.

Dropbox is the only one I've heard of. The is the only practical use of cloud computing I've found so far, it keeps local copies in case your Internet connection goes out rather than storing everything only in the Cloud. Plus it has a Linux client :)