• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

ZoneAlarm uses Shady tactics to increase sales

maash    19

http://infoworld.com/t/firewalls/global-virus-alert-zonealarms-scare-tactics-raise-hackles-901

Check Point Software Technologies, purveyor of the popular ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, has copied a chilling page from the scum it claims to fight. Hundreds of ZoneAlarm customers report that they've been presented with a warning dialog that claims, "Global Virus Alert / Your PC may be in danger!... Threat Name: ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq ... is a new Trojan virus that steals banking passwords and financial account data. Your ZoneAlarm Free Firewall provides basic protection, but this new threat requires additional security."

In a nice extra touch, the warning dialog sports just two buttons: "See threat details" and "Get protection."

Make no mistake about it: ZeuS.Zbot is a very real threat. It's just that -- uh oh -- Check Point's product didn't actually find ZeuS.Zbot on the flagged machine. It's just warning you that you might have ZeuS.Zbot at some point in the future, and that you need to pony up to the bar and pay for protection in case ZeuS should ever darken your door and start tossing bank account information through your compromised firewall. See the difference?

More to the point, ZoneAlarm doesn't check to see if you're running an antivirus product, much less verify if the antivirus product detects ZeuS. The program doesn't care if you're infected with ZeuS.Zbot, or if you have protection in place. It just wants to sell you an upgrade to the firewall that may or may not detect future ZeuS.Zbot variants' activities -- some day.

Hot    226

Never ran it, never will.

Tim the Enchanter    0

looks like they're getting desperate

Reacon    135

Used to use this. Pretty sad.

Windows Firewall is all that is needed anymore.

djnv2010    19

everything that once was good, goes to crap eventually

Subject Delta    108

With all modern OSes having perfectly competent software firewalls built in, and with more and more ISPs shipping routers these days, sales for products like ZA are going to naturally slip, hence the reason they resort to things like this.

+Frank B.    7,151

ZoneAlarm once was a useful product. Until XP SP2 and the advent of the Windows firewall.

Shame that they have to resort to scare tactics like that these days.

Denis W.    731

Ah, Zonealarm. The good old days of free firewalls flagging just about every process, including essential Windows services, about any form of network activity and users blinding hitting 'allow' or 'block' to each prompt.

Windows Firewall's good enough, as long as it can block all incoming connections while I'm on a public network and selectively allow connections when I'm on my home network, seeing how my router already denies unwanted incoming connections without forwarding or a UPnP entry.

+Mystic    10

Love all the nostalgia reading about ZoneAlarm. Years ago, I didn't know somebody who didn't use it but once XP came along and brought a decent firewall, things changed quickly.

bjoswald    210

I can't believe this is still around. But after reading this post, I think I can safely say it won't be around much longer. Why would anyone want their company to commit career suicide like this? Scaring people into using your product AND buying upgrades? That's not any better than those fake AV popups you get around the web! Anything to make a buck, I guess. Sheesh.

+LogicalApex    1,747

Ah, Zonealarm. The good old days of free firewalls flagging just about every process, including essential Windows services, about any form of network activity and users blinding hitting 'allow' or 'block' to each prompt.

Windows Firewall's good enough, as long as it can block all incoming connections while I'm on a public network and selectively allow connections when I'm on my home network, seeing how my router already denies unwanted incoming connections without forwarding or a UPnP entry.

haha Yea I remember those days all too well. People ruining their computers with products like ZoneAlarm as they had no clue whatsoever as to what needed access and what didn't.

Ever since we left dialup and direct connections to your ISP shared network (aka Cable) there has been no need for a firewall. Routers with SPI and NAT block anything you haven't explicitly requested so why waste clock cycles on something like ZoneAlarm? Let alone hard earned cash.

Maybe that is why they have resorted to this. They are at the end of their ropes and on their way out.

thealexweb    204

I noticed this the over day, one more thing from ZoneAlarm and its gone from my PC.

.Neo    1,834

Whoa that takes me back. :laugh:

Buendia    33

I used it a long? time ago. In the XP era.

Nowadays, it's just not needed; in fact, there are better software firewalls available for free.

.Neo    1,834
Shame that they have to resort to scare tactics like that these days.

It happens all the time. Same story with companies trying to sell anti-spyware applications for Mac OS X. Obviously every OS has its vulnerability but the best cure for that is common sense.

MikeChipshop    3,458

What a shame. Horrible tactics.

LiquidSolstice    115

I loved Comodo until it got too big.? ?

Phenom II    104

Im trying out Kapersky Pure free trial, feels very light on resources, does not slow the machine down, and seems to have a lot a decent features.

soldier1st    40

zonealarm used to be good but now zonealarm is using stupid tactics to make a quick buck because thier apps are garbage now. another product is now dead which used to be good but now it is pure garbage. a hardware firewall is all you need.

Quattrone    19

MSE is what you need guys, don't bother with the crap of zone alarm.

Phenom II    104

MSE is what you need guys, don't bother with the crap of zone alarm.

MSE is not a firewall

billyea    198

Internet Suites in general are on their way out, as the defaults bundled with Windows get better, and the freebies from Microsoft just get more appealing.

That has companies like Norton shaking in their boots.

Growled    3,880

I've always found Zonealarm to be a terrible product anyway. I've always had problems with any computer it was on. Thank goodness those days are over.

It's a bit sad they've been reduced to doing shady things like this.

Xoligy    78

Use to use and like ZA then it went down hill :/

ozgeek    157

Ah remembered using this on my first computer. Remembered the yellow theme and the red "STOP the internet" button.

Now use kaspersky IS. I got my parents over to MSE from AVG.

The Windows Firewall is really all you need nowadays.