Do you tip for pizza delivery?

252 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip for pizza delivery?

I just realised that nobody I know in the UK tips for pizza deliveries, nor do the drivers stick around to even give a hint they want one but on TV and movies they always do. Is this just a UK thing, or am I and my friends just really rude?

I do, they make crap money and only get paid enough extra to cover gas and depending on the place, mileage (in the US at least). It saves me from having to go out and get it, so I tip them like you would normally tip a waiter/waitress (not as much, but still something, usually $2-3).

But, I also live in a small town that doesn't have any large-name pizza places (no Pizza Hut, not Dominos, etc) so it helps the small guys, not the big corporation ones....

No I do not however, around here most of the places have advertisements and whatnot that state that their drivers are paid, so there is no need to tip them.

I just realised that nobody I know in the UK tips for pizza deliveries, nor do the drivers stick around to even give a hint they want one but on TV and movies they always do. Is this just a UK thing, or am I and my friends just really rude?

Dwight Shrute: "Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

Dwight Shrute: "Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

In that case, go do it yourself then.

I tip, although most pizza delivery places near me have instituted some type of delivery fee. I don't know if that goes to the driver, but it has a direct impact on how much I tip. Lower delivery fee, larger tip.

We don't tip people in Australia, they get paid.

Some professions in the US make more money via tips than they do from the actual company pay itself, not to mention tips are not taxable (at least, not when done right).

I do. I'm in the US. I used to work for a pizza joint, so I know first hand what the drivers go though. A big incentive for drivers to work would be the tip money they earned form deliveries. Sure, they COULD make earnings by advertising for the company on their vehicle, but they would need to report the amounts as tip money though their taxes and would end up almost owing more then just receiving tips from customers (wouldn't have to report, how can you prove it?).

Anyways, i only really tip if it's a lot of food and they deliver fast/present themselves alright. Had some shady deliveries before.

No more than 3 dollars. Most places already charge the tip in. A order for 15$ usually ends up around $20 after their delivery charges, so I will normally do another $2 on top of that, depending on how quickly it arrives.

Tipping in more commonplace in Canada/US than it is in UK/Aus. What one does here isn't necessarily what one should do there and vice-versa.

I usually go around the corner and pick up the slices that I want. That way I get something with meat on it, my wife gets something vegetarian and my son gets cheese. Everybody's happy.

They make terrible money ?and have to drive long distances to deal with ********ed customers. When a pizza only costs me $10 (Pizza Hut and Dominos) I feel it is my responsibility to let these delivery people know that they are indeed appreciated by the customer, if not by their own company.

Yes. I always try to tip well when getting stuff delivered or eating out... that's just how things work in USland. Besides, if you don't want to tip anybody, get off your lazy butt and make your own food. ;D

I tip every type of delivery person. Almost all places that do delivery (especially non-franchise places) don't expense delivery costs. So, you tip your delivery guy/girl for two reasons. To subsidize their cost of bringing you the food, and for the convenience of not having to go get the food yourself. If you don't tip, you're just a cheap prick.

Tho only time you don't tip is if the business you're buying from has a strict no-tip policy. But those are few and far between.

i do, even though i already pay ?1 delivery charge. i actually just had pizza delivered, it was ?9.50 so i gave him ?10 and let him keep the change. i know it's not much but in the past i've said keep the change when it's been about ?7 and i've given them ?10. i'm real generous to them because i buy from there all the time. i like to have a good rep with them.

I'm finding this thread interesting. In the UK the pizza places have mopeds parked outside so I presume the company pays for it all and it nearly always says "Free Delivery". Pretty sure it's not normal to tip here.

i used to tip pretty decently before the economy went south.

but things like going to the wrong door(ie the front door instead of the back door), forgetting the debit machine, taking a really long time during non peak hours, and so on usually i never tipped because they don't deserve it.

i also used to tip pretty good in bars, especially on a tab system, ie i pay for all my drinks at teh end of the night. would tip the waitress around $10-20 a night, and i used to go to the pub quite frequently. for bars where you have to pay by the drink, i usually go up to the bartender and tip a couple quarters depending on the price of each beer. it usually adds up over the course of a night out to around $10. but if the service is ****ty or the servers have a bad attitude i don't tip at all/very well.

i don't generally eat in fancy restaurants that you would tip the waiters at, but when i do it's usually $10-15 depending on how many people are eating with. usually if it's like 5-10 of us we all pitch in $5 for the tip.

i've gotten tips in a lot of jobs that it wasn't really expected, ranging from a $20 from a regular customers to a can of beer to a joint. one time i worked at a full service gas station and would make a bout $20 in tips per day, though the boss expected us to put it in the register for some reason. i did but i also took about $20 worth of smokes and drinks each day too, something everyone else who worked there did.