• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HDTV Help

The Scarecrow    3

My CRT 27" TV went out this morning and I am going to have to replace it. I want to go HD with 1080. Any suggestion for a brand? refresh rate? etc. (Yes I plan to watch sports on it). Thanks.

Quattrone    19

Make sure is Sony or Samsung!

+StevoFC    22

Like usual I would say set a Samsung. Do not, i repeat, do not get a 3D one. It will be a massive waste of money.

For general use i would say getting a slightly older model will be your best bet seeing as though you are going from a 27" crt.

For the price difference, i would recommend getting one that is 120hz.

What size are you looking into getting. I personally prefer 40" or higher, but if this is for a bedroom I dont know your space limitations.

Ridlas    39

Samsung and the refresh rate should be at 120 HZ. :)

Code Name: Lockdown    9,528

Why not get a 3D one? I ask because: Assume we decide that 3D is gonna take off, why spend $$$ now and then also $$$ in the future, as opposed to spending it now on compatible hardware?

+StevoFC    22

Why not get a 3D one? I ask because: Assume we decide that 3D is gonna take off, why spend $$$ now and then also $$$ in the future, as opposed to spending it now on compatible hardware?

Because it won't be compatible with future hardware. Currently you need to buy a bunch of high priced glasses for it to even work. Manufacturers are already talking about displays that dont require glasses. Also think of different scenarios. You are watching a football game and invite 10 people over. will you have 3D glasses for everyone?

If you want to spend $1000 extra on something that will not stay in it's current form much longer is totally up to you. But I just think it's a total waste of money.

The Scarecrow    3

I am looking at getting something in the 40" plus area.

If you want to spend $1000 extra on something that will not stay in it's current form much longer is totally up to you. But I just think it's a total waste of money.

No not at all, was just asking. So al lthe 3D that's out right now idn't one global specification yet?

The Scarecrow    3

Do I have to be concerned with how many ports of this that and the other it has? (HDMI, etc)

Depends what you need to plug into it.

+StevoFC    22

Do I have to be concerned with how many ports of this that and the other it has? (HDMI, etc)

Only if you have a certain number of devices that you need to connect to it. The more hdmi the better for now. But, depending on your setup receivers now take all of the hdmi inputs and only use up one on your television.

The Scarecrow    3

Anyone have opinion about this TV SEARS

shakey    1,127

All I can recommend is this http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN55C630K1FXZA

I have it, and everyone who ever comes over just can't stop commenting on how it almost looks 3D, and how everything is so great looking, it is surreal.

The TV above this post is basically the same. Go for it man. You will be amazed by the clarity.

Ridlas    39

Looks nice. Go for it.

jerzdawg    338

looks good.. amazon has the same price so at least you know the price is on par. Good reviews... I have the earlier version of the 650 series (LN52A650) and its a great TV.

Quattrone    19

looks good.. amazon has the same price so at least you know the price is on par. Good reviews... I have the earlier version of the 650 series (LN52A650) and its a great TV.

I agree plus in amazon you dont need to pay taxes, which is wondeful! Only shipping which is more cheap.

Salty Wagyu    109

C650s have poor input lag, only an issue if you're a console gamer though. But other than that it's supposed to be a good Samsung model :)

shakey    1,127

C650s have poor input lag, only an issue if you're a console gamer though. But other than that it's supposed to be a good Samsung model :)

I've heard that, but never noticed it. but I'm not sure if the LN55C630 I have has the same issue, or if a recent firmware update that came out maybe helped alleviate it. I've read that there can be a 50-80ms input lag on them, but the people who post that, never mention if they are using it with the 120hz enabled or if they are in Game Mode. I notice horrible lag on games if I forget to turn off 120hz, but in Game Mode, everything seems spot on, from my perception.