Canon Sx130is Point & Click - Any good?

My wife and I have been looking at cameras lately since we have a baby on the way and we want to be able to capture all the moments. I also thought it'd be the perfect time to use the excuse "but think of all the moments we can capture with a Canon Rebel Ti2!"....Unfortunately that didn't fly and the misses wants to budget in the 200-250 range. I came across the Canon Sx130is today for 249.99 and was wondering what you all thought of it. I can't really seem to find much on the interwebs series of tubes in regards to reviews just yet. Thought I'd ask the real experts ;). I want to take really nice photos not just of our family but a lot of nature and architecture. I've always wanted to get into photography and was hoping this might be a decent entry level point and click that gives great picture quality.

Yeah it looks like a nice camera. If you did want to read some reviews, there are some up on amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX130IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNG8/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285426629&sr=8-1

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the canon point and shoots. If you did want something a bit smaller, you could look for something without the 12x zoom. You might like the larger size though too. Overall it seems like a pretty stocked camera. It uses canon's newest DIGIC4 image processor that is supposedly faster and will let you use things like 1080p video. If you are after some decent photos without getting into the whole DSLR thing, this camera will probably do the trick.

It does use AA batteries, so that might be a bit of a turn off. Although, some people prefer them as they are easily replaceable if you don't have time to recharge the batteries.

Congratulations and good luck!

While the S95 is a very nice camera it is over his stated budget @ $399...

yeah but its probably within reach stretching it slightly :p plus its smaller and more pocketable and has a faster lens on the wide end and does 720p as well probably more bang for the buck. :D

I appreciate the replies. It looks like it may just be that particular Canon we settle on. The S95 seems very nice indeed but adding another 150 dollars to the purchase really isn't in the cards.

I've come across two other cameras well: The Canon SD1499IS and the Fuji Finepix S1800.

After reading this and reading it got me curios. What makes the S95 better than say the Canon Sx130is ?

Just the wide angle lense? Or what?

Also does that Canon Sx130is have the HS or whatever its called as well?

I appreciate the replies. It looks like it may just be that particular Canon we settle on. The S95 seems very nice indeed but adding another 150 dollars to the purchase really isn't in the cards.

I've come across two other cameras well: The Canon SD1499IS and the Fuji Finepix S1800.

I wouldn't really consider the S1800, it would be between the SD1400IS or the SX130IS

After reading this and reading it got me curios. What makes the S95 better than say the Canon Sx130is ?

Just the wide angle lense? Or what?

Also does that Canon Sx130is have the HS or whatever its called as well?

The aperture of the lens is also bigger.

I really wish I could afford an entry level DSLR. I read one guy's comment somewhere else saying they can be had for 100 dollars but what kind of quality could you expect from a 100 dollar DSLR? I'm really unsure of what I should be looking for in the sx130is Vs the 1400IS. (Didn't proof read and accidentally typed 1499 earlier. Oops.)

Apparently though the SX130IS is a pretty solid camera. It seems more and more comments are popping up about it.

I really wish I could afford an entry level DSLR. I read one guy's comment somewhere else saying they can be had for 100 dollars but what kind of quality could you expect from a 100 dollar DSLR? I'm really unsure of what I should be looking for in the sx130is Vs the 1400IS. (Didn't proof read and accidentally typed 1499 earlier. Oops.)

Apparently though the SX130IS is a pretty solid camera. It seems more and more comments are popping up about it.

I've never heard of a $100 DSLR (though you may be able to find a used one from a friend of something for that much).

The cheapest new DSLRs are older entry level models and go for about $350 with a kit lens.

What you should look for is difference in the lens and the size/handling.

Yeah, one thing I found about the SX130 is the optical zoom is better than that on the 1400. The 1400 uses a lithium ion battery so it'd have better battery life....But really, the optical zoom and low light optimization on the SX130 make it the winner for me. I think I'll go with that and then save up for a Nikon D3000 or something equivalent to that.

The vivid colours feature on the SX130IS is pretty neat haha. :p....

...But I'm seriously tempted to apply for a credit card just to get a T1i, Rebel EOS XS or a Nikon D5000.

The vivid colours feature on the SX130IS is pretty neat haha. :p....

You can basically get that same effect using photoshop or a similar program :p