Which are better tv's overall, LCD, LED, or Plasma?

My TV went out last night so I will be buying one this weekend...my price cap is around $1000.00. My question is what are the best tv's in terms of longevity and reliability....LCD, LED, or plasma? I've heard that plasma's go out rather quickly, any truth to this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LED, but I just bought a LCD. Waiting to see if 3d takes off before I invest in an LED Tv.

You can get a good LG/Samsung LCD 42in or 46in for around $1k. LEDs you will end up paying 2 to 3 times that.

LED, but I just bought a LCD. Waiting to see if 3d takes off before I invest in an LED Tv.

You can get a good LG/Samsung LCD 42in or 46in for around $1k. LEDs you will end up paying 2 to 3 times that.

55" LED 120hz for 1300 canadian that's a nicetoshiba...

Im personally a bigger fan of plasma, but thats only if you are going for the 42" or larger tv's. Plasma costs more but there are no lights to go out and it gives you next to true black as possible compared to the current generation of tv's. Comparing a 1080p plasma vs a 1080p LCD/LED the plasma wins side by side for color reproduction, ghosting and just plain image quality at the larger sizes.

LED and LCD use the same technology. The only difference is the backlighting method. LED uses LEDs and LCD uses a florescent bulb. Both use an LCD panel to display the image.

Agreed. but since LED's are known for long life they are probably a better investment in the long run (since they probably will last a very long time) since LCD's florescent bulb will probably fail much sooner as to my knowledge LCD's ain't really been out long enough to really test there longevity.

Agreed. but since LED's are known for long life they are probably a better investment in the long run (since they probably will last a very long time) since LCD's florescent bulb will probably fail much sooner as to my knowledge LCD's ain't really been out long enough to really test there longevity.

..why invest into a 100 year technology span when within 10 years it will be outdated?

Unless you need a 5mm thick TV, or think that extra 30w power its saving is worth it...

..why invest into a 100 year technology span when within 10 years it will be outdated?

Unless you need a 5mm thick TV, or think that extra 30w power its saving is worth it...

you make a fair point but for me i don't want to be buying TV's every handful of years or so.

i want the TV to be able to last a EASY 5 + years. because i don't see a decent HDTV 1080p set actually being 'dated' in 5+ years even if it's a little old as it will still look good with HD etc. so basically until they get something better than 1080p, which i don't see happening in the foreseeable future, then a good 1080p TV should last quite a while.

in general though i don't see most people buying a TV more than 1 time per 5 years at most especially if they invest in a decent quality one for say around $1,000 today.

which is why when i get a TV i want it to last like how the older TV's generally do where they go many years without fail.

p.s. i am still on a 27" older style TV from 2001. (my PC has a 24" 1080p 16:9 LCD though. which is what i use for HD movies). but if i ever get around 1k to spend i am definitely going to upgrade since i am way over due as it will be a big leap in image quality/size vs what i got now.

I find Plasma having a better quality when it comes to image reproduction. I am sure some people are going to cry about the latest generation of LCDs taking care of that which is not true. For those who buys big TVs for the quality, not for the sack of buying the TV would say the same thing.

They all have their advantages.

The contrast and colors of a plasma are second to none in my opinion, but allegedly they dont last nearly as long as an LCD/LED, use more power, and create more heat.

An LED-lit LCD will last the longest and generally have better contrast than a typical CCFL-lit LCD while using the least power and are typically the thinnest, but they cost the most.

CCFL-lit LCD has good all around performance. As some people say, its a jack of all trades, but a master of none. The color, contrast, response, power use, life, is all good but never great.

I prefer regular CCFL-lit LCD. All things considered, it has the best all around performance, and tends to be the most cost effective. If your main concerns are longevity and reliability, I would go LED if you can find a good deal on one, otherwise regular LCD should be fine.

Most bulbs are rated for 100,000 or more hours. That is 11.4 years using it 24 hours a day which nobody does. These bulbs will last a long time.

Most bulbs are rated for 100,000 or more hours. That is 11.4 years using it 24 hours a day which nobody does. These bulbs will last a long time.

sounds good but i wonder really how long they last.

because they are rated to last that long as i am sure that's just the average as it could be noticeably less than that if you get a slightly faulty one. but if i could even get around 5-7 years with 24/7 use that would be great because i don't think anyone has there monitors on 24/7 even the heavy users of PC like myself. so in a way that 5-7 could double if your only using it for 12 hours ;)

p.s. but i guess ill just have to wait and see how long my current PC's LCD (i.e. ASUS VW246H (24"). comes with 3 year warranty) will last ;)

Turning on and off the TV sharply degrades the life span. That's why they say to never turn on the TV and turn it off right away. It's probably impossible to test, but if you go back and forth to the TV multiple times a day, I'm sure the life span of the bulb will be much much less than the 100k hours it's rated for.

I couldn't wait and went out and bought my TV tonight. I had the choice of a smaller LED or a larger LCD and chose the latter. I went with a 50" LG LCD and so far am very pleased with the picture quality (xbox looks amazing on it). Looking at the LED's I found the picture quality to be only a fraction better than the LCD's and no where near worth the expensive price tag.

Thanks for the responses, they really helped with making my decision and I'm very pleased with the TV I bought. Oh btw, it set me back $900.00 at Best Buy.

I prefer picture quality. If your going for picture quality, Plasma is hands down the best way to go, especially if your into gaming via video game consoles or like watching sports. I'm picky about black levels as well and most LED tvs are only edgelit, not backlit, which causes black levels to be not as great. Plasma is also cheaper, and more bang for the buck.