Suggestion: Banning the +1

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of +1?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

One of the things I love about Neowin and it's forums/comments sections are it's regard for higher thought. Most of the thoughts are absent of fanboyism or flame bashing, or just utter crap.

Recently, I've seen an influx of Digg style comments. Either one line jokes to get attention or quick attacks at starting a flame war.

If you know of Digg, and those style comments, you know what I'm talking about. Something that has recently emerged in a big way is the use of +1ing to agree with someone. In Digg, this is a way to promote certain posts in order to make them more apparent and to show that the community is behind this sort of comment. Usually they are just one line jokes, but often they are insightful.

Either way, the posting of +1 does not make any one post more apparent at Neowin, but rather hides other comments by cluttering up the comments section. I can see in the forums this is used less or, with quotes less pervasive, but on the main page, maybe we can install a system of voting, or just removing posts that small.

Just my two cents, even though no one asked. Oh, and we have all been guilty of making crap posts, that's not what I'm here for, I've been trying to make better posts in order to make the community better.

Edited by rm20010
Added in 'suggestion.'

banning the +1 would make no sense as it is still relevent for posters. i think the op just wants more attention and he wants people to actually say words instead of +1 or say +5. if you want to ban +1 then go make a forum where it is banned.

I have two things to say:

• +1 is not a Digg invention
  • The use of +1 indicates agreement - and there's no simpler way to see that lots of people agree with a post than to scroll down and see pages of +1

Beyond that, I personally don't have a problem with +1. It's a simple response, but that doesn't make it a bad response.

I disagree because sometimes you want to post that you agree with the posters comment but the original comment was everything you intended to write. Instead of cluttering up the comments with more writing you show support of the idea concisely. This way you can look through the comments and get an idea of how many people support a specific viewpoint.

-1 :p

In all seriousness though, why does it bother you so much? IIRC "+1" has been around ever since I joined Neowin. There is nothing "recent" about it. What do you want banned next, "I agree" or may be "lol", "IMO" etc. ?

Completely agree.

If you see posts of this type please report them and the staff will take care of them. :)

Put the chuffing karma stuff back in then you cant take it away then whine when people use other methods like +1.

Completely agree.

If you see posts of this type please report them and the staff will take care of them. :)

Wait, so is the whole staff on board with this or just your opinion? I (for the reasons I posted) would prefer to see people's opinions on a discussion forum, whether it's a long meandering post or a subtle agreement.

I have two things to say:

• +1 is not a Digg invention
  • The use of +1 indicates agreement - and there's no simpler way to see that lots of people agree with a post than to scroll down and see pages of +1

Beyond that, I personally don't have a problem with +1. It's a simple response, but that doesn't make it a bad response.

+1 (Honestly, this post summarizes what I want to say without saying it again)

first time i ever saw +1 was on neowin front page comments way back in 2003 before i signed up.

if i say +1 and then add some comments am i going to get a warning now? is neowin going to add other common internet phrases and such to the ban list that aren't in the site's rules?

ps. how can you clutter up a comments thread? or a discussion thread? is such a thing even possible?

Wait, so is the whole staff on board with this or just your opinion? I (for the reasons I posted) would prefer to see people's opinions on a discussion forum, whether it's a long meandering post or a subtle agreement.

I see it as coming under the "unacceptable" comments section of the rules.

Other staff may at their discretion moderate how they see fit.

Get a life people, this is the internet.

If you have a problem with "+1" or "this" then you have a problem on nearly every web forum in existence where the average age is under 40.

Get a life people, this is the internet.

If you have a problem with "+1" or "this" then you have a problem on nearly every web forum in existence where the average age is under 40.

this.

+1

seriously.

also inconsistent interpretation of the site rules is inconsistent.

+2

Don't mind the +1 so much, at least not if they post something else to, after all some of us are programmers and understand this.

but this +2, +2 and +10 and +1000 needs to stop. obviously people who don't understand how this programmers agreement joke works .... :) (fyi, you're only one person, you can only ever +1)

I see it as coming under the "unacceptable" comments section of the rules.

Other staff may at their discretion moderate how they see fit.

So where is the line drawn? Can I write "I agree"? If not, does it need to be extended to "I agree with the post I quoted above mine" or do I actually need to rewrite someones post so it's deemed acceptable? Also, should LOL posts be unacceptable? Maybe they should also be deleted unless the poster writes "Your comment has made me succumb to fits of laughter that escalated to an elevated audible level".

I think the purpose of the +1 is shorthand for "I agree with this person's opinion and they have stated it in precisely the way I would have."

What I hate is sifting through pages in a thread of...

+1

+2

+3

+100

+100000000

+9999999999

you get the Idea. If you dont have anything to say other than +1, then dont post. You are not offering ANYTHING to the post other than annoyance.

I'm a big fan of the +1000 and will sometimes even extend that to a +1000000.

Also, are we going to start banning (Y) ? What about other emoticon replies? Shouldn't moderators be following a set of guidelines rather than banning posts that they simply disagree with?

One of the things I love about Neowin and it's forums/comments sections are it's regard for higher thought. Most of the thoughts are absent of fanboyism or flame bashing, or just utter crap.

Recently, I've seen an influx of Digg style comments. Either one line jokes to get attention or quick attacks at starting a flame war.

If you know of Digg, and those style comments, you know what I'm talking about. Something that has recently emerged in a big way is the use of +1ing to agree with someone. In Digg, this is a way to promote certain posts in order to make them more apparent and to show that the community is behind this sort of comment. Usually they are just one line jokes, but often they are insightful.

Either way, the posting of +1 does not make any one post more apparent at Neowin, but rather hides other comments by cluttering up the comments section. I can see in the forums this is used less or, with quotes less pervasive, but on the main page, maybe we can install a system of voting, or just removing posts that small.

Just my two cents, even though no one asked. Oh, and we have all been guilty of making crap posts, that's not what I'm here for, I've been trying to make better posts in order to make the community better.

I'm not 100% against +1'ing but I'll agree, you do have a point, in most cases the average neowinian is capable of creating an intelligent response., and there's certainly no place for posts full of flame war fuel.

So where is the line drawn? Can I write "I agree"? If not, does it need to be extended to "I agree with the post I quoted above mine" or do I actually need to rewrite someones post so it's deemed acceptable? Also, should LOL posts be unacceptable? Maybe they should also be deleted unless the poster writes "Your comment has made me succumb to fits of laughter that escalated to an elevated audible level".

I think the purpose of the +1 is shorthand for "I agree with this person's opinion and they have stated it in precisely the way I would have."

You can always reply and say, "I agree, I think waffle sandwiches are great, too!" instead of "+1".