Suggestion: Banning the +1

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of +1?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

OK so we have to reply in a certain format now?

Dont think so...just be smart and provide content in your posts. Otherwise it is just spam and clutters up a thread. I would rather sift through 5 pages of content instead of 15 pages and 10 being +something.

I disagree because sometimes you want to post that you agree with the posters comment but the original comment was everything you intended to write. Instead of cluttering up the comments with more writing you show support of the idea concisely. This way you can look through the comments and get an idea of how many people support a specific viewpoint.

I concur with your disagreement. I find it easier to just scroll through the posts that say "+1" than I would having to read everyone's individual posts that outline the exact same train of thought and ultimate viewpoint.

That's a long way of saying "+1" I guess...

Put the chuffing karma stuff back in then you cant take it away then whine when people use other methods like +1.

Now there is an idea. Rather than have a rep system apply to a user, why not create a rep system solely tied to the individual post? If people agree, it will have higher points. I don't agree with this idea, I think it would be ridiculous and abused just as much as the old karma system was, but hey it's an idea...

Neowin needs a "like" feature that is posted at the top of a thread. That way it is in one area and people can see how much others like a thread. That way its visible, out of the way, and doesnt clutter up a post.

Dont think so...just be smart and provide content in your posts. Otherwise it is just spam and clutters up a thread. I would rather sift through 5 pages of content instead of 15 pages and 10 being +something.

can you link to a thread with 5 pages of +x, let alone 10?

What I hate is sifting through pages in a thread of...

+1

+2

+3

+100

+100000000

+9999999999

you get the Idea. If you dont have anything to say other than +1, then dont post. You are not offering ANYTHING to the post other than annoyance.

I can not agree with this. If I ask for opinion I would rather see pages of +1 then just one opinion stated. You offer your opinion that matches someone elses and that should also count for something.

Sure it is much better if there is +1 and opinion backing it up, but hey, you can't ask for everything.

On the other hand I agree that it can be annoying and add nothing, like when someone states a fact i.e. "fish live in water" and seeing +1 after that is useless, but it is all down to a topic and the stated fact.

Neowin needs a "like" feature that is posted at the top of a thread. That way it is in one area and people can see how much others like a thread. That way its visible, out of the way, and doesnt clutter up a post.

Never mind, basically already has one. You can RATE a thread. Maybe people should start using that instead.

can you link to a thread with 5 pages of +x, let alone 10?

I was exaggerating but thats what it feels like sometimes.

Maybe people should just quote the post they agree with. At least then it shows what they agree with.

I go to Neowin for a better class of response, when i go to Digg, every post ends up with the same thing. I could play Digg Bingo and win everytime.

I guess you could always make a greasemonkey script that would filter out posts that just contained "+1." In fact, if there are enough of you bothered by it in the World, it might already be available.

If Digg had pages, that would be easy. I'm saying we shouldn't go in that direction.

i assume he was referring to neowin, which is the site we're on, and not digg, which is not the site we're on.

if all digg is is +1's, then that's digg, but i have yet to see extreme amounts of +1 spam.

i might see a chain of +x in a rare comment thread on the front page get to maybe +10, but it's incredibly rare.

not 5 or 10 full pages of +1 or +2 or +10 or +1000000000000000000.

so if such aa thread exists on NEOWIN, please link it.

reminded everyone that the first time i ever saw +1 to begin with was way back in 03 on NEOWIN.

Never mind, basically already has one. You can RATE a thread. Maybe people should start using that instead.

I was exaggerating but thats what it feels like sometimes.

Rating a thread has nothing to do with agreeing with a comment and I can honestly say that I've never thought threads were being overtaken with +1.

Maybe an "I agree" button.

And for those of you saying I am trying to say how you should post, i'm not. The internet is free. I think we just reach points where vice's of one part of the internet extend to other parts.

How'd you like it if Neowin just copy and pasted news stories from other sites? I like that they have original writers.

One of the things I love about Neowin and it's forums/comments sections are it's regard for higher thought. Most of the thoughts are absent of fanboyism or flame bashing, or just utter crap.

Recently, I've seen an influx of Digg style comments. Either one line jokes to get attention or quick attacks at starting a flame war.

If you know of Digg, and those style comments, you know what I'm talking about. Something that has recently emerged in a big way is the use of +1ing to agree with someone. In Digg, this is a way to promote certain posts in order to make them more apparent and to show that the community is behind this sort of comment. Usually they are just one line jokes, but often they are insightful.

Either way, the posting of +1 does not make any one post more apparent at Neowin, but rather hides other comments by cluttering up the comments section. I can see in the forums this is used less or, with quotes less pervasive, but on the main page, maybe we can install a system of voting, or just removing posts that small.

Just my two cents, even though no one asked. Oh, and we have all been guilty of making crap posts, that's not what I'm here for, I've been trying to make better posts in order to make the community better.

+65535

How's that for ya!!!

i assume he was referring to neowin, which is the site we're on, and not digg, which is not the site we're on.

if all digg is is +1's, then that's digg, but i have yet to see extreme amounts of +1 spam.

i might see a chain of +x in a rare comment thread on the front page get to maybe +10, but it's incredibly rare.

not 5 or 10 full pages of +1 or +2 or +10 or +1000000000000000000.

so if such aa thread exists on NEOWIN, please link it.

reminded everyone that the first time i ever saw +1 to begin with was way back in 03 on NEOWIN.

I was saying that is the direction we are headed. You didn't ask for a thread from Neowin. Wherever it was invented, Digg has used it as part of their system (thumbs up). And someone people still want to thumbs up AND post +1. Crazy.

Maybe an "I agree" button.

And for those of you saying I am trying to say how you should post, i'm not. The internet is free. I think we just reach points where vice's of one part of the internet extend to other parts.

How'd you like it if Neowin just copy and pasted news stories from other sites? I like that they have original writers.

umm alot of articles on the front page are copypasta, or quickly paraphrased, but otherwise both have source links to articles written days before hand.

and yeah you are telling us how to post.

i don't mean to be rude, but you've been here since last year, i've been seeing +1 on neowin for 7 years. think about it.

While we're at it can we ban people quoting long replies, ban stealing news articles from other sites and posting them into the forums, ban all the hateful posts, ban the milestones and the introductions...

This new era of authoritarianism is exhilarating.

Rating a thread has nothing to do with agreeing with a comment and I can honestly say that I've never thought threads were being overtaken with +1.

I concur... rating the thread itself isn't equivalent to the "+x" comments. Sometimes, I think a thread is relatively boring, but there is often a poster who says something intelligent and thoughtful. And right now there is no quick way to say "My neowin name is ______ and I approve this post"

Maybe a link to the thread that pushed you over the edge to post this thread?

haha, Just an accumulation. I'm don't hate it, I just hate how I see more "jokes" like "you are holding it wrong" in every thread. Or a variation of it. I know that's the internet way, to kill a dead horse, and then the new people find it, renew it, and kill it again, but still, it's mindless. Subtle jokes they are not.

umm alot of articles on the front page are copypasta, or quickly paraphrased, but otherwise both have source links to articles written days before hand.

and yeah you are telling us how to post.

i don't mean to be rude, but you've been here since last year, i've been seeing +1 on neowin for 7 years. think about it.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000