Need advice - post office refuses to deliver license

I'm really desperate for any advice I can get.

I got a drivers license renewal back in the beginning of the year, and it only took 5 days to arrive at my apartment.

About a month after that, I lost my drivers license, and I had the DMV issue me a replacement to my address, which is an apartment. I have double and triple checked my address multiple times to make sure they have it right, and they do.

It has been 4 and a half MONTHS and I still don't have my license. I have called and gone down to the DMV, called the DMV headquarters, and called and went in the local post office more times than I can remember since then. About 2 months ago I finally got a straight answer that the post office keeps sending my license BACK to the DMV headquarters, and they won't tell the DMV, or me, the reason why. About a month ago I had them place a special "warning status" on my address to deliver ALL MAIL NO MATTER WHAT. 2 weeks ago they sent it back after it arrived. This is the 5th time I've had the DMV reissue the license.

The post office has continuously jerked me around and given me the "It should have arrived I don't know why it hasn't" response for the past 4 months straight, from the same people I keep talking to. I have filed a formal complaint with the post office, and a complaint with the BBB. Nothing has changed.

Please give me advice on what to do! I've already lost a job because I don't have my license, and I haven't been able to find work since because of it.

Are you able to collect the license from the DMV instead? Like go to them and explain that the post office is not delivering mail to your address and they aren't giving me any information as to why, show them a copy of your complaint (if you have one) and ask if it can be picked up directly at your local office, instead of mailed to you.

Why can't the DMV just print your license up at the Office?.... You sure there isn't more to the story you are leaving out? Have you talked to the Post Master at the post office?

Are you able to collect the license from the DMV instead? Like go to them and explain that the post office is not delivering mail to your address and they aren't giving me any information as to why, show them a copy of your complaint (if you have one) and ask if it can be picked up directly at your local office, instead of mailed to you.

Why can't the DMV just print your license up at the Office?.... You sure there isn't more to the story you are leaving out? Have you talked to the Post Master at the post office?

The DMV does not have the capabilities and ability to do so at the local office, it is done at the headquarters and then shipped out, and I can promise you I'm not leaving out any details.

Go to a different DMV?

The problem is the post office, not the DMV, and no DMV branch in California is able to issue the license directly from the local offices.

Man, that sucks your DMVs won't physically issue them to you. All DMVs here in Illinois can issue your driver's license to you at their locations. The Express DMVs are my fav since I'm in/out rather than the full service DMVs where I'm waiting for my number to be called for FOREVER.

The thing is though also.. you never had an expired license, you just lost it... so even then you still had a valid license to drive.. why would work fire you for that?

I wasn't a driver for my job, so it had nothing to do with it. However, you do have to have a drivers license on you at all times whenever driving a vehicle in California.

No way to get it delivered somewhere else like a friend/family's place or a P.O. box? No way to pick it up straight at the HQ?

Can't you get it delivered to a different address? Perhaps try and talk to somebody senior in the DMV, and see if they can find a solution.

Can you get a P.O. box there at the post office?

The DMV will require two months for a change of address to get filed and updated, and to ship out a new drivers license with my updated address. However if the address you use isn't your home address, it can cause some nasty problems down the road.

A drivers license in California is shipped out ONLY to the address they print on your actual card, therefore PO boxes are out of the question.

As far as getting a copy of the license, are the local offices able to issue temporary licenses/notes until this is resolved? Can they send the license to you by courier/FedEx/UPS etc.?

Change your official address to that of a family member?

If this has caused you to lose your job, I would take legal action against the Post Office. Get everything they have told you in writing, and get a lawyer!

As far as getting a copy of the license, are the local offices able to issue temporary licenses/notes until this is resolved? Can they send the license to you by courier/FedEx/UPS etc.?

Change your official address to that of a family member?

If this has caused you to lose your job, I would take legal action against the Post Office. Get everything they have told you in writing, and get a lawyer!

1: They do issue temporary licenses, but with no photo. Without a photo ID you can't do a lot of things in CA, like buy smokes and liquor, take drug tests, and finalize job interviews.

2: See my above posts.

3: I have no money for a lawyer.

i just go wait for my number and i have my L's which expires next year... i would try them once more to get your license if not i would talk to the dmv then an attorney

Talk to your Post Office's Post Master and find out what the deal is, he might also be able to either get it delivered or some hold placed on that letter so that you can pick it up yourself at the office

Here's the best solution I can think of.

1. Get a P.O. Box

2. Setup mail forwarding (all post offices can do this) to your P.O. Box say you'll temporarily be out of town or something.

3. Ask DMV to resend licence to your address.

4. Once licence delivered... profit?? :p

This experience does not sound that much different from mine. My address originally was 723 Street, etc. But the Post Office sent a letter changing my official address to 773 Street, etc. When post came addressed to 773 the Post Office itself refused to deliver it and kept sending it back to who sent it.

You can't drive without a license on you. He said that on the first page...

But you can drive with the temporary license the DMV gives you when you go to renew / sign up for your driving license. Of course he should also inform the DMV of whats going on and see if theres something they can do about it.

If he needs an ID for other purposes, use something else like a passport or something.

Thing is with these people is they hold all the power, they know you need something from them. We need to reverse the situation.

Now this will take some time and involve you getting to know which members of the post office have families and which of them would do the most to see the safe return or them. Right, so the first two weeks will.... :shiftyninja:

:laugh:

Presumably the Post Office have some procedures in place for complaints and chasing things up? You're probably not the first person to have a problem like this. Are you able to get any mail at all? Can you get the Post Office to hold onto it for you?