Need advice - post office refuses to deliver license

ozgeek

I wasn't a driver for my job, so it had nothing to do with it. However, you do have to have a drivers license on you at all times whenever driving a vehicle in California.

What??!! Here in QLD Australia, I can drive without my licence with me (only open licences, I think). If I gets pulled over by police get asked for my licence, they issue me a notice to appear at the nearest police station with the licence within the next 24hours.

I understand your in USA, but a small city (80 000 pop) here have the ability to generate a licence card under 5 minutes

Have you made arrangements to have it shipped to another address? I don't know how "DMV" works.

TAZMINATOR

While you do not have a license, you can get a ride on a bus or taxi to your workplace. Or have one of your relatives or friends give you a ride to work. Until then, you get your license then you can start driving. No problem.

If you are not a truck/bus driver, then you don't need a license for work. Unless you need it for traveling... Of course you need a license for buying beer/cigs, etc.

It doesn't make sense that you lost your job with no license, because you have a way to get to your workplace without a license, your friend/relative/girlfriend give you a ride.

Best way to do is ask your friend/relative to drive you to the closest DMV office to get your license back. Or use another method of transportation.

It shouldn't take long to get replacement/renewal if you go to one of the DMV offices. If you can't go, then you can renew your license online and have it mailed to you at one of the alternative addresses such as your parents, friends, etc.

If this doesn't work, sadly, you will have to wait until you have moved to new location which DMV can mail your license to your new address. So you can forget apartment address that mailman refuses to deliver.

Anibal P

What??!! Here in QLD Australia, I can drive without my licence with me (only open licences, I think). If I gets pulled over by police get asked for my licence, they issue me a notice to appear at the nearest police station with the licence within the next 24hours.

I understand your in USA, but a small city (80 000 pop) here have the ability to generate a licence card under 5 minutes

Have you made arrangements to have it shipped to another address? I don't know how "DMV" works.

Here in the US and especially in the more liberal States, you need to have your papers on you constantly, if you get pulled over without a license and you do have on you have to go to court and hope the Judge throws out the charge

COKid

This may sound like an obvious question...but have you talked directly with your mail carrier? I would be interested in knowing the exact point at which your mail is getting rejected. Is it when the carrier is 'casing' (sorting/ordering) his/her mail for the day or is it happening before that point? Is it even getting to your local PO or is it being rejected at another facility? For instance, our mail goes through Denver before being sent on to the town north of Denver where I live.

No offense, but millions of these are mailed out every year without any issue, so I too have to wonder if something else is going on here. I thought the PO stamped returned mail explaining why it was returned to the sender. My guess is that the DMV has an invalid address for you on file.

Are you receiving other mail ok? Did you neglect to give you carrier a Christmas card/tip last year? Mail carriers have been known to hold a grudge. :angry:

Anyway, I hope you get things straightened out.

• 4 months later...
DragonRider

This similar event has happened to me! The post offce has not deleived my licence 3 times, even though DMV states that it was delived and not returned to their office.

The difference is that I renewed my licence in December 2010 and DMV has mailed it out 3 times. With me going to DMV twice to get it remailed. I have since contacted the post office and they are "PUTTING A SEARCH ON IT" . So now I am waiting for the USPS to call me back, with my trusty confirmation number that they gave me! Will let you know what happens.

If this has happened to anyone else can they please step forward!!!!!!

Yes I've talked to my mail carrier, and am reciveing other mail.

ninja502

will the headquarters send it to the local branch and let you pick it up from them directly ?

fill out a form on the U.S. Postal Inspection site for mail theft since your not getting it and its not being returned

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/mlntrcvd.aspx

and here for the Office of Inspector General http://www.uspsoig.gov/

post master wont do much as he wants his post office to look good and productive and doesnt want any bad marks

the 2 links go above his head so something will get done

• 2 weeks later...
DragonRider

OK I filed a report and will wait to see what happens in the mean time I will go to another DMV branch and refile for my license.

• 4 years later...
pinky_baby

The same thing is happening to me. It's not the DMV. The DMV does not produce photo licences at the branch. Only temps. I went to the Post Office and spoke with the manager. He said he would have to see what is on the envelope of what the DMV is sending out, but then he said he would talk to the carrier to see why he is not delivering the mail. I will find out tomorrow. He said to make sure there is a name on the mailbox. Always talk to the manager and ask him to ask the carrier and to leave a note with that carrier. If need be wait for the carrier to come to your apartment and ask him yourself. I may do that today!

• Nick H. locked this topic