Apple TV or Roku?

Hello all! I, along with a lot of other people, am stricken with a question - Roku or Apple TV? After comcast decided to kick me off of most of my channels, I have been searching for an easy way to watch tv via the internet (without having to repeatedly plug in my laptop or buy an htpc). I love the price of the cheapest Roku - only $59! I'm also a big fan of all the channels and the sdk (although no youtube :wacko: ). And I like the fact that Apple TV works off itunes. In terms of functionality, I really don't need/want the ability to stream music/pics to my tv. My network is not the greatest streaming network, but I'm fine with the wait of a slow internet. My largest question is: How is the video choice of Amazon VOD vs. iTunes?? What do you guys think?

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Not including baseball, I watch maybe 5-10 hours of scripted TV per month and I am paying $76/mo for DirecTV.

I'd like to drop my satellite TV service in favor of either a Roku or Apple TV, yet I am undecided on which. I am not sure how frequently Roku or Apple TV updates their software to allow more content, but as of now, Roku seems to have the edge with Hulu, MLB.TV, and Amazon VOD. Yet, a software update could easily give Apple TV the edge. Streaming content from my computer or TV is a nice plus, but not a requirement for me (just like what the original poster said). And, just like the person above me, I'd like to know the quality/quantity of the offerings of iTunes vs Amazon VOD.

I figure, based on what I pay now for TV, a Roku or Apple TV could pay for itself in less than 2 months time.

Can anyone help nudge me in the right direction here? If anyone has any experience with either product, that'd be great.

Thanks!

I can't offer help on either because it will ultimately be a preference thing, but check out Revision 3's show HD Nation. They did reviews of the new AppleTV and Roku XD recently, so it might help you get a better idea of which will work better for you. Also keep in mind that while the Roku XD can't do DLNA right now, they've stated they're going to bring it to the XD via firmware update. Who knows when that will happen but it will certainly make it easier to get content to the device without needing iTunes which I believe the AppleTV needs in order to stream content stored on another computer. I also think that the AppleTV can only stream stored content if it's from the iTunes store, not 100% sure on this though.

We have a Roku so we can use it with Netflix. Love it! Does anyone know if Apple TV can be used with Netflix?

I wonder when TVs will have streaming capability built-in. For all I know, some may already have it.

Anyway, 1 vote here for Roku.

• 2 months later...

We have a Roku so we can use it with Netflix. Love it! Does anyone know if Apple TV can be used with Netflix?

I wonder when TVs will have streaming capability built-in. For all I know, some may already have it.

Anyway, 1 vote here for Roku.

The new Apple TV has Netflix streaming built in, and the old Apple TV does not. There are Sony TVs now that have streaming built in already, I'm not sure about the others.

• 3 months later...

i have a apple tv 2 that i just got and LOVE it! comes with netflix built in! and if you jailbrake it you get XBMC!! plays mkv's 720p and some 1080p content divx, mp4s and lots more features! I LOVE IT!!!