How to share sound through LAN?

aidin

Hi,

I have been having this problem for a while and no one seems to understand it and even if they do they do there doesn't seem to be any good solutions.

So what I want is:

At home we have 3 sets of computers in different rooms. Each of the computers are connected to their own set of speakers. And all of the computers are connected to the same LAN network.

Now we are going to have a party so we want all the speakers to play the same output sound.

For example:

Computer A will be the master. Computer B and C will be "connected" to computer A in some way. Computer A plays a sound, any sound from any source. Now I want this sound to play in all computers speakers at the same time.

How do I do this?

Is there a software that lets you connect the sound output of all the computers?

I am not interested in any radio solutions or any streaming solutions. I want to somehow connect to all speakers using one computer!

I did find a software a while ago that did just this (dont remember the name). But it had so many issues and didnt work properly so I got rid of it.

I would appreciate if anyone knows how to do this.

btw, this is my first post so I am not sure where to put it. If it is in the wrong section please move it where it belongs.

Mouldy Punk

Short of running speaker wire from each of the speakers to computer A, you're going to need to set up some kind of streaming solution.

You'd need some kind of media server set up on the source computer (Computer A in your example) and the other computers will need to connect to it's stream. What OSs are the computers running? Windows 7 (and maybe vista?) supports this out of the box IIRC.

aidin

Short of running speaker wire from each of the speakers to computer A, you're going to need to set up some kind of streaming solution.

You'd need some kind of media server set up on the source computer (Computer A in your example) and the other computers will need to connect to it's stream. What OSs are the computers running? Windows 7 (and maybe vista?) supports this out of the box IIRC.

We are all running Windows 7.

By using the media server it means that I need to play the music through the media servers own player right?

In our case we want to be able to use preferably Grooveshark.com on Computer A. Will that be possible in a server program?

giantsnyy

We are all running Windows 7.

By using the media server it means that I need to play the music through the media servers own player right?

In our case we want to be able to use preferably Grooveshark.com on Computer A. Will that be possible in a server program?

Yes and no. Because you're essentially converting the audio back into a data packet and sending it to the other machines you're going to have lag and no matter what you do it's going to be off by a second or two. Why don't you just rent a DJ speaker and put it in the hallway? Solves the sound issue.