what is a blog?

Question

i've noticed lately that sites have this "blog" or "weblog" going on..

i can't figure out what they mean by this.

as far as i can tell this "blog/weblog" links just take you to the index page..

if anyone can elaborate that would be cool

oh..girly thing..

thought i was some new net thing that caught on...damn i was getting excited that i could make websites with this cool new web word...

guess 133T is still in eh? also getting old tho.

oh well

Wait, wait, what the hell? Blogging, sir, is definitely not "girly." I blog and I love it. There are personally blogs, which are pretty much like OPaul said. A journal for everyone to read, comment on, etc. Then there are some that are just strictly news. All they do is link articles that other people wrote on the net and sometimes give a short commentary on it. I'm not particularly fond of the latter kind, but it seems to be really popular, although a bit pointless.

The personal kind are more popular along the personal website crowd. Some are really short and stupid, some are fairly well written. The news kind are a whole separate genre of website completely. 'Blog' sites are usually all the same, though. I haven't seen but a few that caught my interest for more than a couple minutes.

And I should also probably add that plenty of people of BOTH genders have blogs. It's not just for girls.

You can also use blogs and integrate them into your website. The first page of my site is a blog... It's so easy to type my news/journal that way instead of normal ways. So yeah, there are multiple uses for it. I love it ;)

Dont mind opaul he's wrong about blogs... I have a blog myself at the site in my profile. Its the thing to do these days. Its just so cool to have all your friends around commenting and being able to write whatever you want about anything. Its really a great thing on the internet.

They are in no way 'girly'. Idiots shouldn't jump to conclusions about them.

I've designed my blog from scratch and don't need to be called girly :p, I find mine to be very easy and helpful to me. Writing = love.

Even the word 'blog' sounds feminine. And then the entire idea and writing down what's on your mind for your friends to read, showing your emotions to them and such is completely feminine. It is in no way a manly thing to do.

Even the word 'blog' sounds feminine. And then the entire idea and writing down what's on your mind for your friends to read, showing your emotions to them and such is completely feminine. It is in no way a manly thing to do.

wow, showing your emotions to the world is not a manly thing...

I REALLY feel sorry for you and for your macho attitude :no:

Wait, wait, what the hell? Blogging, sir, is definitely not "girly." I blog and I love it. There are personally blogs, which are pretty much like OPaul said. A journal for everyone to read, comment on, etc. Then there are some that are just strictly news. All they do is link articles that other people wrote on the net and sometimes give a short commentary on it. I'm not particularly fond of the latter kind, but it seems to be really popular, although a bit pointless.

The personal kind are more popular along the personal website crowd. Some are really short and stupid, some are fairly well written. The news kind are a whole separate genre of website completely. 'Blog' sites are usually all the same, though. I haven't seen but a few that caught my interest for more than a couple minutes.

And I should also probably add that plenty of people of BOTH genders have blogs. It's not just for girls.

Agree!

So everytime you smile at a friend (and show your emotions to them) you're being 'girly'?

Good luck making any you sure as HELL are gonna need it :/

/me books you a shrink session

So everytime you smile at a friend (and show your emotions to them) you're being 'girly'?

That is completely not related to what I said. I said posting your feeling on a website for the entire world to see is feminine. The entire concept is feminine. Smiling at a friend isn't even remotely similar to that, talking to a friend in a private manner about what's on your mind isn't feminine. But creating a website about YOU, about what YOU do, about what's on YOUR mind so the ENTIRE WORLD can view is completely unnecessary.

That is completely not related to what I said. I said posting your feeling on a website for the entire world to see is feminine. The entire concept is feminine. Smiling at a friend isn't even remotely similar to that, talking to a friend in a private manner about what's on your mind isn't feminine. But creating a website about YOU, about what YOU do, about what's on YOUR mind so the ENTIRE WORLD can view is completely unnecessary.

[sarcasm] oh, creating a website with a lyrics is so unnecesary and SO girly too [/sarcarsm]

:rolleyes:

,Jul 26 2003, 13:55]

[sarcasm] oh, creating a website with a lyrics is so unnecesary and SO girly too [/sarcarsm]

Yes it is a feminine thing to do. But it is for my girlfriend, when your in love you do a lot of feminine things.

Ok, I know the Internet was first developed so that people in college could share things on a small network, but NOW isn't it's purpose to communicate and link the whole world together? So if I was write this (which is true):

"I'm happy because Rambo is on later"

That makes me girly? :ninja:

Ok, I know the Internet was first developed so that people in college could share things on a small network, but NOW isn't it's purpose to communicate and link the whole world together? So if I was write this (which is true):

No, you commenting in on forum is not "blog". You have to dedicate an entire website to you that provides nothing to anyone else.

,Jul 26 2003, 13:55]

Yes it is a feminine thing to do. But it is for my girlfriend, when your in love you do a lot of feminine things.

cut your macho attitude, there's not such thing as girly things just human emotions and if I feel the need to show them wherever I want Im going to show them.

Damn, is for people like you that I am like the way I am

No, you commenting in on forum is not "blog". You have to dedicate an entire website to you that provides nothing to anyone else.

So if I made a website about something else, say, emm, lyrics for example :whistle: and then I decided to write a blog AS WELL as the lyrics ... does that make me girly or do I now negate your rule and become manly?

So if I made a website about something else, say, emm, lyrics for example :whistle: and then I decided to write a blog AS WELL as the lyrics ... does that make me girly or do I now negate your rule and become manly?

I never said my website with lyrics wasn't feminine, it is.

Manliness and feminines are based on the norm, I didn't create the norm, these aren't my rules. But everyone needs both sides, a yin and a yang. Men need to get a little feminine sometimes and women need to get a little manly sometimes. Traditionally showing emotions has been attributed to women just as burping is traditionally attributed to men. These are norms in American society.

Manliness and feminines are based on the norm, I didn't create the norm, these aren't my rules. But everyone needs both sides, a yin and a yang. Men need to get a little feminine sometimes and women need to get a little manly sometimes. Traditionally showing emotions has been attributed to women just as burping is traditionally attributed to men. These are norms in American society.

no, thats the "norms" of a chauvinist society.

btw, we all are not americans, ok?

,Jul 26 2003, 14:43]

I'm not American either, but I am living in America and for me these are the norms that I live with on a day to day bases.

,Jul 26 2003, 14:43]

I'm not American either, but I am living in America and for me these are the norms that I live with on a day to day bases.

so you always follow the norms, even when you do not agree with them?

so you always follow the norms, even when you do not agree with them?

It has nothing to do with following anything, it has to do with understanding the norm. You can't follow manly and feminine attributes.

It has nothing to do with following anything, it has to do with understanding the norm. You can't follow manly and feminine attributes.

of course you cant, thats my bloody point, there are no norms, you do what you feel, IF I WANT TO EXPRESS MY FEELING WHEREVER I WANT IS OKAY.

what a norm, "if you are a manly man you cant express your feelings in a website"

how ridiculous

about the girly thing..

I am a writer myself.. I like to write my thoughts and if that makes me girly.. then your definition has got some problems man.

Think before you speak.

,Jul 26 2003, 12:55] i just find the whole idea that writing thoughts down is girly..

I am a writer myself.. I like to write my thoughts and if that makes me girly.. then your definition has got some problems man.

Think before you speak.

my point exactly, thanks

yes sd, i mean cmon.. some of the greatest writers start out from writing their own views, their own thoughts. It never made any of us any different or girly. We all enjoy different things. Just because one person doesn't enjoy it doesn't mean its girly.. or no fun. etc.