Sucker Punch: Half a PS3 is better than a whole 360

Funny that seeing as the cpu's are "related" and the GPU in the 360 is far more superior.

Blu ray? Who the f cares about that. MS certainly doesn't or they'd have backed it. Instead they watched Sony throw money away and laughed their ass off.

bluray=50+ GB with potential for 400GB

dual-layer dvd= ~8gb

oh, yeah. blueray definitely loses. /sarcasm

doesn't matter anyway, the 360 couldn't process the uncompressed textures that can be stored on a bluray disc.

lol, touche then. i'm just trying not to stoop down to the immature level that some of the post are getting to. staying respectful to all viewpoints goes a long way. You can debate and not be childish, though some clearly can not. GOW has a great story and great elements to it, just like UC2. But I , in my opinion, have not seen a game as detailed with great story, voice acting, and mechanics, as UC2 on the xbox.

Maybe because you're a fan of that gametype.

if you where into RPG's however, you'd be hard pressed to say that the story and voice acting and mechanics in that wasn't as great, not to mention ME2, which throws the graphics into the mix as well (though fables loses ont he graphics because of the stylism).

UC2 is simply a triple A game, the majority of them with a few exceptions are excellent production value. as long as you're into the game type.

I mean, you'd have to be pretty anti Xbox or Halo, or really hate FPS' to find anything negative to say about Reach as far as production values go.

oh yeah???? We 360 owners have one thing you PS3 pukes don't have!!!!!

the ability to heat gun our motherboards every few weeks...so suck on that!!!!! :yes:

Maybe because you're a fan of that gametype.

if you where into RPG's however, you'd be hard pressed to say that the story and voice acting and mechanics in that wasn't as great, not to mention ME2, which throws the graphics into the mix as well (though fables loses ont he graphics because of the stylism).

UC2 is simply a triple A game, the majority of them with a few exceptions are excellent production value. as long as you're into the game type.

I mean, you'd have to be pretty anti Xbox or Halo, or really hate FPS' to find anything negative to say about Reach as far as production values go.

I have yet to play Reach, so no comment. ME2 will be coming to ps3, so it really isn't a exclusive. I love RPG's, and can not wait for the spirited away one that is on ps3 :) But right now, the ps3 is lacking a good/great RPG. I have only played ME2 on the pc, which it was great, better than the first I think, but since it will be on both platforms shortly, we will be able to see how well it is on the ps3, and I'm hoping for a decent port. Saying that, Ported games are not the best to judge upon as well, due to the fact that both systems are vastly different in terms of coding. But I would love to see a team that knows the ins and outs of both systems, to make a game to showcase the better qualities of both systems.

Any game can be dummed down... Uncharted is just swinging around in a jungle. Halo is just walking around and shooting, Gears is just doing a barrel roll and shooting...

And no offence to 360 owners, but the only games I ever hear about on 360 is Halo and Gears of war. I find it hard to play the same types of games over and over again.

Who gives a crap, I admit I still like PS3 more, for the fact it has blu-ray and that it has 3D Support I believe and also that it's free internet use. Uncharted 2 graphics were amazing, I mean some of the shots I used as my wallpaper for ages.

Both are good at things which the opposite isnt. Maybe 360 could play the high end games, but might need more discs etc for the lack of diskspace that blu-ray has.

Ah well, who gives a ****.

dual-layer dvd= ~8gb

doesn't matter anyway, the 360 couldn't process the uncompressed textures that can be stored on a bluray disc.

ProTip. the 360 has by far the better Graphics card

ProTip2. no, and i mean NO game uses uncompressed textures on the disk. if they do, they also store compressed textures they actually use, and they only have the uncompressed ones there's so they can brag about the space used on the disk.

you need to understand the technology. consoles have low video memory. but even on PC'e with gigabyte video memory, they use compressed textures. fact is large textures are HUGE. and you can't fit uncompressed textures in video memory.

Now you could comrpess the textures on load. there's a few bad thigns abotu that though:

1: requires 10 times as much storage space.

2: requires significantly more CPU time to actually live compress the textures every time a new texture is loaded

3: makes loading textures slower since, they're 10 times the size

4: the developers have no control of the quality of the compressed texture, whereas DX pre compressed texture files. the artist can control and adjust the texture when he saves it.

There's a few more points, but suffice it to say. NOONE uses uncompressed textures. If they say they do, they're lying. if they have them on disk they're either stupid, or they're using them for padding to make the game seem bigger so they can use bluRay as a selling point.

Is there a game in XBOX which is soo awesome like Uncharted 2,GOW 3, or Killzone 3???

Since no one played Killzone 3, I don't think we can use that to compare. And Killzone 2 was a terrible game.

Plus God of War 3 was the most overrated game this year

There's a few more points, but suffice it to say. NOONE uses uncompressed textures. If they say they do, they're lying. if they have them on disk they're either stupid, or they're using them for padding to make the game seem bigger so they can use bluRay as a selling point.

While no game really uses uncompressed textures, bluray space does have its benefits...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/carmack-id-rage-xbox-ps3/news-2254.html- might have to copy and paste it - OMG SCREW THAT LINK! lol, wont paste correctly at all, but here is what it has to say....

John Carmack Explains Why Blu-ray Makes Rage Better on PS3

10:10 PM - August 7, 2008 - By Marcus Yam - Source : Tom's Guide

Every year, QuakeCon is John Carmack’s celebration of his technology and the games that the entire id Software team creates within it.

ZoomTom’s Games had the chance to sit down with Carmack for a brief chat regarding Rage, id Software’s upcoming game slated for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Console fanboys will undoubtedly find lots of firepower in what Carmack had to share, who made it clear that designing for the Xbox 360 was more of a joy than arduously optimizing for the more complicated PS3.

Developer friendliness aside, Carmack did acknowledge that the PS3 version will look slightly better due to more storage space for high-resolution textures, thanks to Blu-ray Disc’s 50GB capacity. “All of the key scenes, the things anyone is going to take a screenshot of are going to look exactly the same on both platforms. They’ll get the high quality compression,” said Carmack. “But if you go into some areas in the wasteland, like behind a fence where nobody will typically go and explore, this is where the 360 version may look a little blurry compared to the PS3.”

While spanning the game over multiple discs could solve the issue, id Software revealed that the associated royalties to Microsoft for more than two discs would become economically unfavourable. “We’re pretty much resigned to the fact that we’re going to make it fit onto two DVDs on the 360. Plus there would be a lot of disc switching if we went to three DVDs, and since the game is split between two different wasteland environments, two DVDs should work well,” he explained. “That’s the only thing the PS3 has going for it over the 360 - more gigs.”

I know, it's a rather old article, but it does give us the thought of one of the greatest producers of PC games.

If Blu-Ray drives weren't slow when the PS3 launched it would be a definitive advantage. It is certainly a worthwhile difference but the streaming capability was hobbled.

It is a selling point. It just isn't a straight '8gb to 50gb' comparison

Sony exclusive devs say crap like this every few months. We've yet to see it proven. I think it must be in the contract for working with Sony or something. At least it's always good for a laugh.

I know, it's a rather old article, but it does give us the thought of one of the greatest producers of PC games.

Carmack..... that's a LONG time since he was in that class....

Once a great, always a great. Like saying Mohammad Ali isn't one of the greatest boxers. And in reality, not many PC game developers left :p

hes in that class whenever he releases a half life game but then he gets interviewed and opens his mouth and gets kicked out of the group.

hes in that class whenever he releases a half life game but then he gets interviewed and opens his mouth and gets kicked out of the group.

omg you did not just say that....... I'll frag you for that! into tiny little giblets! :angry: lol

I'd like to see xbox pull something off like UC2... but they have not yet. Sure are fighting words, but there is tout to definitely back it up.

You mean a 720p game running at 30fps, it's done it, there are several of them actually. If you mean a game that appeal to your visual taste more than U2, then they really don't need to.

This is very immature of developers, the few fanboys that actually believe this already have the consoles and are unlikely to change anyways. Most other people simply take it for what it is, hype to sell their game. Shame really.

You mean a 720p game running at 30fps, it's done it, there are several of them actually. If you mean a game that appeal to your visual taste more than U2, then they really don't need to.

This is very immature of developers, the few fanboys that actually believe this already have the consoles and are unlikely to change anyways. Most other people simply take it for what it is, hype to sell their game. Shame really.

beats a offscale resolution that the Halo series has been using.... http://www.digitalbattle.com/2010/05/01/halo-reach-still-not-running-at-true-720p/ and still gets the same framerate.

Once a great, always a great. Like saying Mohammad Ali isn't one of the greatest boxers. And in reality, not many PC game developers left :p

He got kicked out of that class, when he whine and complained that his fans went and bought UT instead of Quake like a whiny little kid who got his lolly stolen. calling his own fans rather nasty stuff. maybe he should have made a better game :p

He got kicked out of that class, when he whine and complained that his fans went and bought UT instead of Quake like a whiny little kid who got his lolly stolen. calling his own fans rather nasty stuff. maybe he should have made a better game :p

I've always disliked UT. Doom and Quake were always my fav. I always felt UT was some generic knock off trying too hard. Never liked any of them sadly, though I did like some of their game modes, I could never stand playing it lol.

I've always disliked UT. Doom and Quake were always my fav. I always felt UT was some generic knock off trying too hard. Never liked any of them sadly, though I did like some of their game modes, I could never stand playing it lol.

reverse for me. I can't stand Quake (any version) and I've always massively enjoyed the UT series

I think I shall install UT3 again.

dual-layer dvd= ~8gb

That is a weak argument, the PS3 Blu-Ray drive is so damn slow that many PS3 games are forced to have a mandatory install regardless of all that space Blu-Ray provides, of cause MS are laughing their arses off. No I'm not a blinded 360 fanboy :p I own both consoles and like them both equally.

Also the dual layer DVD may lose out on capacity but they win on speed, the 360 can stream the media faster off the DL-DVD then the PS3 can off a BD, equaling longer load times on the PS3 (which more and more game companies have to counter with mandatory installs).