Sucker Punch: Half a PS3 is better than a whole 360

I'm still on DVDs and Zune, and I probably will be until Blu-Ray has more to offer me than movies.

Since I don't intend to buy a PS3, that will take a while.

So you think it's ok to still watch movies in low resolution in an HD age? Even tho they look like crap on LCD screens?

lol ps3 gets one crappy jungle adventure game and the fanboys treat it like the holy grail and use it for every argument. Is that what happens when your console has one good game?

Sounds like a fanboy arguing against a fanboy argument. You are clearly talking from your backside if you think the PS3 has just one good game. Dear oh dear. You're no better than Sucker Punch.

Both consoles are flooded with triple A games. And who cares how powerful the PS3 is VS the Xbox. Both consoles are powerful in many respects but they both have various advantages. The PS3 is more powerful in some respects than the 360. But the 360 is better in others.

Netflix Instant, Cable, Xbox Live, PSN

Non of those offer the quality that a true 1080p bluray will offer. If you have ever tried one, you would know. Netflix is not HD, but more of a upscaled DVD, if that. Cable is still hovering at very compressed 1080i, with only Direct TV giving compressed 1080p, and the same with live and psn movies, being compressed. Also, the type of audio format that bluray offers is way above what you will get through any service as well.

Most bluray movies hover around 15gigs with great audio, and no service has the bandwidth to shell that out at the moment. And those with capped internet will run out of whatever they get with just a few movies.

Yup, I too stopped getting Blu-ray movies as well. I have been buying and renting the full download 1080p 10gb movies over XBL and PSN, as well as my DirecTV is giving me 1080p.

No need for the archaic optical disks, FTW!

I dont' think he's saying BR is bad, He's saying they wouldn't last as long as DVD has (13 years, also CD's are 25 years old and now BR see the pattern). The main reason is that there are other formats available that make more sence, one of the main reason is the the form factor.

Non of those offer the quality that a true 1080p bluray will offer. If you have ever tried one, you would know. Netflix is not HD, but more of a upscaled DVD, if that. Cable is still hovering at very compressed 1080i, with only Direct TV giving compressed 1080p, and the same with live and psn movies, being compressed. Also, the type of audio format that bluray offers is way above what you will get through any service as well.

Most bluray movies hover around 15gigs with great audio, and no service has the bandwidth to shell that out at the moment. And those with capped internet will run out of whatever they get with just a few movies.

the quality of cable/satelite depend on the bitrate a lot more than the type of signal used. quality movie channels like Canal Digital over here run excellent bi rate and quality HD content.

1080i or 1080p is rather irrelevant. 1080p is transferred at 25 or 30 fps, or 1080p30. Satellite and thus cable however rarely use progressive because it is easier to transfer, though I don't understand the technicals behind why. 1080i however, is transferred as 1080i60 (50) and is created from the 30(25) fps progressive image. The tuner, or TV will put the interlaced 60 fps frames back into the proper 30fps full frames.

1080i and p on satellite will give you the same quality image, in fact i may in fact give better image because it allows you to run higher bitrate/lower compression.

Yup, I too stopped getting Blu-ray movies as well. I have been buying and renting the full download 1080p 10gb movies over XBL and PSN, as well as my DirecTV is giving me 1080p.

No need for the archaic optical disks, FTW!

Their quality is still nothing compared to what a real bluray will offer you. They are decent, but still not the best. For what I paid for my set up, I want to get the best I can for it. And having a hard copy is hardly archaic. But more on the lines of smart investment in case the other means breaks or goes out of service.

the quality of cable/satelite depend on the bitrate a lot more than the type of signal used. quality movie channels like Canal Digital over here run excellent bi rate and quality HD content.

1080i or 1080p is rather irrelevant. 1080p is transferred at 25 or 30 fps, or 1080p30. Satellite and thus cable however rarely use progressive because it is easier to transfer, though I don't understand the technicals behind why. 1080i however, is transferred as 1080i60 (50) and is created from the 30(25) fps progressive image. The tuner, or TV will put the interlaced 60 fps frames back into the proper 30fps full frames.

1080i and p on satellite will give you the same quality image, in fact i may in fact give better image because it allows you to run higher bitrate/lower compression.

Actually, no, they wont. 1080i works great for still and slow moving images, but can blur and artifact during fast paces ones, and 1080p will not. The services such as cable and sat still compress the image a ton compared to what a bluray offers, as their bitrate would not handle what a bluray offers. You actually get a better more uncompressed ( or less compressed is better worded ) picture if you don't use sat or cable, and get local channels over the air through the tv tuner. But there is a huge difference between i and p, and between bluray and compressed media. There is a reason why most tv hd movies get blocky or show artifacts, due to the compression they must use. Even Direct TV's 1080p is compressed too much for my liking, though I like it a lot more than what Time Warner offers. They are still all below what a bluray will offer, and when I get the chance, I go bluray every time I can for my watching.

I don't think the general public really cares about this. Neither do I. Because digital is more convenient. And my dusty, mostly untouched DVD and VHS library tells me otherwise.

My current viewing distance from the TV is about 15 feet, and any differences with compression and bitrate is minimal. And I don't plan on sitting 5 feet away from my TV.

The same argument has been made with CDs and music. Why would anyone want to compromise sound quality with an mp3?

Their quality is still nothing compared to what a real bluray will offer you. They are decent, but still not the best. For what I paid for my set up, I want to get the best I can for it. And having a hard copy is hardly archaic. But more on the lines of smart investment in case the other means breaks or goes out of service.

I have Blu-ray movies, and I have a crap load of 10gb movies from PSN and XBL, and they are easily comparable to the Blu-ray quality. I have a home theater with a 55 incher designed around this. The only thing we are missing with the digital movies right now (but is going to change) is the 7.1 surround. Digital movies don't have it yet, but it's coming (visit us at avsforum, tons of info on the upcoming 7.1 surround coming to digital). Picture quality is almost identical. I too am a fanatic, but I have moved on to digital.

Not sure how BD would be a smarter investment. I own the 10gb movies that I have, even if the service were to discontinue.

I don't think the general public really cares about this. Neither do I. Because digital is more convenient. And my dusty, mostly untouched DVD and VHS library tells me otherwise.

My current viewing distance from the TV is about 15 feet, and any differences with compression and bitrate is minimal. And I don't plan on sitting 5 feet away from my TV.

The same argument has been made with CDs and music. Why would anyone want to compromise sound quality with an mp3?

There is a reason audiophiles go for high bitrate mp3's and leave out the 128 ones....

I have a 55', so I can see the difference in quality. And to those of us who do care, it is why we are posting. If you don't care, you really are voicing a moot point huh....

http://www.ehow.com/about_5412697_blu-ray-vs-hdtv.html

But it is not just the picture quality you lose out of by not going bluray, it is the sound. TV cable/sat services do not offer even full 5.1 at the moment, but are close. Bluray offers 7.1, while some say is not needed, is still far better than non 5.1. For those of us, like I said before, who spent a good amount of money on a home theater system, bluray is your best bet, unless you really want to put it all to waste and not use it to its full potential.

There will always be a market for the "philes" but we're talking about the lifespan of the medium vs. DVD. Which is reflected in the consumer market.

DVDs are STILL the highest purchased video medium, but they're consistently dropping in sales

With the market push to digital distribution, I really can't see how Blu Ray will be as mainstream as DVDs ever were

Actually, no, they wont. 1080i works great for still and slow moving images, but can blur and artifact during fast paces ones, and 1080p will not. The services such as cable and sat still compress the image a ton compared to what a bluray offers, as their bitrate would not handle what a bluray offers. You actually get a better more uncompressed ( or less compressed is better worded ) picture if you don't use sat or cable, and get local channels over the air through the tv tuner. But there is a huge difference between i and p, and between bluray and compressed media. There is a reason why most tv hd movies get blocky or show artifacts, due to the compression they must use. Even Direct TV's 1080p is compressed too much for my liking, though I like it a lot more than what Time Warner offers. They are still all below what a bluray will offer, and when I get the chance, I go bluray every time I can for my watching.

Quality sat channel don't have compression like thta, cheap and often sports channels does a lot more compression though. but there's a reason why Canal Digital is expensive.

and 1080i will only be blurry if

a: you have a crappy tv that can't properly deinterlace the image. but 1080i60 from a p30 source, will recompile to the EXACT same image frame by frame as transmitting progressive.

b: the scene was filmed interlaced. doesn't happen on movies, could happen I suppose on soem TV shows. but more broadcast stuff is filmed full frame. home cams however used to be interlaced. and if it's filmed in 1080i then you can never deinterlace it. since the different half frames will be from different timecodes. quite noticeable on fat moving objects.

a decent TV. a good tuner, and a quality 1080i signal from a quality sat/cable provider will be as sharp as if it was transmitted at 1080p, and it'll have less compression than if it was transmitted at 1080p. Now don't blame me because your US cable companies use ****ty compression. over here all HD, and for terrestrial even SD, channels are in high quality h.264. Just stay away from ViaSat. they use really crappy compression for everything.

And yes, at leats over here. they offer full 5.1 AC3 sound on satelite and cable.

So you think it's ok to still watch movies in low resolution in an HD age? Even tho they look like crap on LCD screens?

Yes.

Although usually with the DVDs I play them on my HDTV, I still prefer being able to multitask.

And let's be honest here, everything looks like crap on LCD screens. LCD is crap. I was hoping it'd be replaced by now.

I have Blu-ray movies, and I have a crap load of 10gb movies from PSN and XBL, and they are easily comparable to the Blu-ray quality. I have a home theater designed around this. The only thing we are missing with the digital movies right now (but is going to change) is the 7.1 surround. Digital movies don't have it yet, but it's coming (visit us at avsforum, tons of info on the upcoming 7.1 surround coming to digital). Picture quality is almost identical. I too am a fanatic, but I have moved on to digital.

Not sure how BD would be a smarter investment. I own the 10gb movies that I have, even if the service were to discontinue.

If the service goes down, and your HDD goes out, which is far more likely to happen then breaking a disc, unless you are just careless with it. A disc can last much longer than a service or electronic component, when kept in its case and not treated badly.

How did this become about movies? Who gives a frack about movies? BD vs Digital vs DVD has nothing to do with the bs Sucker Punch is spouting.

FTR though I just download my movies and watch on PC. The quality is more than good enough for me.

If the service goes down, and your HDD goes out, which is far more likely to happen then breaking a disc, unless you are just careless with it. A disc can last much longer than a service or electronic component, when kept in its case and not treated badly.

Lot's of what ifs, indeed. However, with the move to SD/Flash type memory now, that is still a non issue.

Lot's of what ifs, indeed. However, with the move to SD/Flash type memory now, that is still a non issue.

I've heard that might happen but I've seen no evidence of it actually happening.

Anyway I agree we got pretty far off topic, seems like PS3 discussions always end up that way though.

Blockbuster is already testing it in small markets.

http://www.gigabytefan.com/2010/01/31/blockbuster-sd-card-kiosk/

You bring your SD/flash card to a kiosk and they put the rental on your card. Slick.

That would be cool, as having a hard copy of any type is better than a digital I think. But still, it would require quite a huge SD card, which are still fairly expensive.

And yes, topic was derailed lol.

Doesn't that have the same chance as something breaking your BD? At least with XBL, you can re-download everything. Good luck getting a replacement for broken BD.

Everything has pros and cons. DD is more convenient with nearly identical quality for most people.

Blockbuster just went bankrupt, so...good luck with that.

Dang, how did I just rent a movie there this past weekend. I didn't realize they went bankrupt and closed their doors. Wrong chapter my friend.