Board stats for September 2010

Board Stats for September 2010

SEP '10: 1,191 registrations, 3,928 new topics, 58,512 replies, 0,758 conversations and 1,933,064 topic views.

Top 5 forums for September

position, (last month) name (*) = new entry

1. (2) Back Page News

2. (1) General Discussion

3. (3) Jokes & Funny Stuff

4. (5) Hardware Hangout

5. (*) Software Discussion & Support

Software Discussion & Support makes a rare appearance in the top 5 due to the Firefox 4 & IE9 Beta builds.

However, apart from topic replies (the 10M thread) stats continue to fall below previous months. Hopefully this is temporary and we can pick it up again.

Ouch. I would have expected September to be fully green.

The numbers can only go up from here. Here's to a green October.

Someone normally has a series of graphs going back further, but here are some graphs going from January 2010 to September 2010:

neo1.png

neo2.png

neo3.png

neo4.png

neo5.png

EDIT: And yes, I realise I appear to have cropped part of the border on the Registrations graph :pinch:

Has Neowin figured out why the numbers keep going down? I mean Im not expert at leading forums but there must be a reason why. :p

Has Neowin figured out why the numbers keep going down? I mean Im not expert at leading forums but there must be a reason why. :p

I think there are quite a few reasons.

1. More competition from tech sites, there are many many tech related sites and more crop up all the time, many serving high quality reviews aswell as packed forums.

2. More competition from non-tech sites like Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Social Media sites etc.

3. Lack of diversity here at Neowin. I'm not saying that the site has stayed completely the same as it hasnt it has grown more usable the community less hostile and the main page has improved in quality and quantity of posts. But I think that other sites have done perhaps a better job in delivering what Neowin has. I feel looking at Neowin now that to much time was spent on redesigns and themes and not enough on where to take the site next.

A few years ago there were a lot of tech forums and as they were fighting for users (I'm talking 2002-2005 date wise) they started to add main pages with news. Now pretty much every forum that caters to anything has a main news page that is manned by staff of the forum who post interesting content. But where other sites continued this trend of innovations Neowin just sort of stopped there and stood with that concept. Other sites have evolved to offer product reviews. And even these sites are still changing.

Right now Review sites are going through the transition from Text & Images to Video. Some sites have already taken the leap and are doing Video only reviews whilst other sites are supplementing their Text & Image reviews with Video walk-throughs or product function videos. Such sites include HardOCP, Guru3D, Toms Hardware, Overclock3D and more. And all these sites have forums and all of these sites have growing forums.

Neowin is setting their hook in a tough pond. Tech geeks like us love technology and we aren't afraid to be early adopters and jump on the newest thing. A few years ago it was sites that had tech news, then it was sites that had good Text reviews, then reviews with images now its sites with Video. If Neowin wants to compete with the other tech sites you need to roll your sleeves up and start courting reviewers, some of the members on this very site have there own review sites where they often review tech related products. Hire some of them and get in the game I say.

Hire some of them and get in the game I say.

That literally made me nod. Yes, we need to get some talent from elsewhere so we can diversify our content and member base somehow. Sadly that means we might have to offer some more competitive pay, which might be out of our league right now. Time for a round of capital? :p

I don't think strictly video reviews is the future. Most people don't bother playing half the videos we embed in news posts. A lot of people like a mix which is what we have been doing recently in our reviews

I don't think strictly video reviews is the future. Most people don't bother playing half the videos we embed in news posts. A lot of people like a mix which is what we have been doing recently in our reviews

Because they have seen those videos else where a few days before they hit neowin's FP? Or because the videos are terrible?

There should be originality in the video reviews (Andrew's video on the Torch was a success) and a bit of professionalism (not shooting a 10mins of yourself in your room).

Nothing beats videos when it comes to reviews, they just need to be done right. ;)

I agree that Video only reviews are not strictly the future. I personally prefer Text + Images with Video rounding out the review. This is how all the best sites are doing it (Engadget, Gizmodo, and the other sites I mentioned).

Now personally I don't play videos in the reviews here on Neowin, nor do I read the reviews on Neowin actually because they are usually very outdated (reviews of these products have been floating around for weeks or months) and the videos inside the reviews are not to a high standard.

Another thing is that the reviews on the main page are text heavy (not that many images) and very short. The length of reviews featured on Neowin are smaller than what other sites use as Previews for forthcoming reviews of products that are still under NDA. And I'm not kidding.

Neowin has a great site design and it has a nice sized userbase. Adding proper reviews would take it to the next level and it wouldn't be a terribly difficult thing to accomplish with the reputation the site has it would be easy to get review parts from manufacturers.

For me it is the dominance of the forums with general discussion and non technology related news that has stopped me contributing even a quarter of what I used to. I mean, if you ask a tech related question here these days the people just aren't that knowledgeable or you don't get a response. I have facebook to talk rubbish about the 6pm news and the latest celebrity scandal.

I do like the front page though. Even though some of it is just regurgitated stuff that other sites posted days before, there is a lot of good reading and different perspectives still to be had.

+1

I hate videos, I'd much rather read the review and see the pictures myself