Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick out NOW!

They actually released it on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10.

Amazing.

EDIT: The announcement at https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-October/000139.html

Some time ago a group of hyper-intelligent pan dimensional beings

decided to finally answer the great question of Life, The Universe and

Everything. To this end, a small band of these Debians built an

incredibly powerful distribution, Ubuntu. After this great computer

programme had run (a very quick 3 million minutes...or 6 years) the

answer was announced. The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and

Everything is...42, and in its' purest form 101010. Which suggests that

what you really need to know is 'What was the Question?'. The great

distribution kindly pointed out that what the problem really was that

no-one knew the question. Accordingly, the distribution designed a set

of successors, marked by a circle of friends...to ultimately bring Unity

to all things living...Ubuntu 10.10, to find the question to the

ultimate answer.

And with that, the Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 10.10.

Codenamed "Maverick Meerkat", 10.10 continues Ubuntu's proud tradition

of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a

high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution.

Read more about the features of Ubuntu 10.10 in the following press

releases:

Desktop and Netbook editions

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-edition

Server edition

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-10.10-server-edition

Canonical has also launched the ‘Ubuntu Server on Cloud 10’ program.

Anyone will be able to try out Ubuntu 10.10 Server Edition on Amazon EC2

for free for one hour. Visitors to the download pages will now be able

to choose to experience the ease and speed of public cloud computing and

Ubuntu. For a direct link to the trial, please go to

http://10.cloud.ubuntu.com

Ubuntu 10.10 will be supported for 18 months on desktops, netbooks, and

servers.

:)

Trying it in Virtualbox (3.2MB/s download ftw!) right now! Gotta say, I'm very impressed with the new setup experience, the new look and the new font!

Codenamed ?Maverick Meerkat?, the worlds most popular Linux operating system gains many notable improvements and upgrades since the release of Ubuntu 10.04 Long Term Support back in April this year.

More info here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-released/

Download here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

I installed the netbook version and had performance problems with their new unity interface. I've switched it over to the regular gnome desktop now and haven't had any problems - even with compiz enabled. Hopefully they fix unity's problems sometime soon. I quite liked the interface.

As much as I think Ubuntu is bloatware, it is a decent Linux distro for noobs!

I would prefer the LTS version myself though. ????

What are you actually saying here? 10.04 is LTS!! 10.10 is effectively still beta! The next LTS version of Ubuntu Linux will be 12.04

Eager to try it out through WUBI , just a question beforehand: I know when it comes to Windows x64 is the way to go, does this also apply for Linux? I ask because my main purpose of installing Ubuntu is to mod it visually to the max and play around with it so I don't know if x64 will be as compatible with tweaks and mods as x86-64 is.

Eager to try it out through WUBI , just a question beforehand: I know when it comes to Windows x64 is the way to go, does this also apply for Linux? I ask because my main purpose of installing Ubuntu is to mod it visually to the max and play around with it so I don't know if x64 will be as compatible with tweaks and mods as x86-64 is.

I think you'd definitely want to try the x64 version of Ubuntu. :)

its not X64 and X86-64 the same thing?

I think cork1958 was saying that he'd rather use 10.04LTS on a day to day basis than 10.10.

Sorry Mouldy Punk, but why? 10.10 is basically a progression of 10.04 with very little in it that is experimental! I presume he knows that all LTS stands for is Long Term Support! Ubuntu basically tell you not to use non LTS versions on production machines. I not really sure if most in the Linux community actually worry about that!

64bit Ubuntu is fine, works just as well as 32bit.

Well so far I have had:

Trouble installing with Wubi

A crash on boot

Can not fetch drivers from restricted drivers app

Constant freezing trying to install drivers

I think the LTS versions are for business users and people who want a stable system they don't have to think about. Or maybe it's what you put your grandmother on to minimise your support calls.

Other versions are stable, but more up to date. Frankly I like keeping up to date and haven't yet had any problems since I first started using Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn).

As much as I think Ubuntu is bloatware,

Huh?

it is a decent Linux distro for noobs!

So what is the preferred distro for experts such as yourself?

On the original post. Maverick looks sweet. Not too many new features, because this is clearly a spit and polish version focusing on stability.

I installed the netbook version and had performance problems with their new unity interface. I've switched it over to the regular gnome desktop now and haven't had any problems - even with compiz enabled. Hopefully they fix unity's problems sometime soon. I quite liked the interface.

It's still pretty experimental from what I hear. I'm looking forward to testing it on my acer aspire one.

Huh?

So what is the preferred distro for experts such as yourself?

I was thinking the same thing!

What I find amusing about people who make comments like this, quite clearly, demonstrate their lack of understanding about how Linux works! From a command line perspective all Linux distributions are the same, Linux is Linux! The veneer on top is just that, veneer! Take it away and then everyone moans about how ugly Linux is or that it is unrefined and so on and so on!!

They actually released it on 10/10/10 at 10:10:10.

There must be some kind of celestial significance to it ;-)

Well so far I have had:

Trouble installing with Wubi

A crash on boot

Can not fetch drivers from restricted drivers app

Constant freezing trying to install drivers

Perhaps you should trying doing a clean install without windows xD. By the way which drivers were causing an install problem/freeze?

If you just want to try it out, wouldn't it be easier to just boot from a live cd? You only use 64bit versions if you have more than 4 gig of memory. There are no real benefits to using it otherwise.

There must be some kind of celestial significance to it ;-)

Perhaps you should trying doing a clean install without windows xD. By the way which drivers were causing an install problem/freeze?

If you just want to try it out, wouldn't it be easier to just boot from a live cd? You only use 64bit versions if you have more than 4 gig of memory. There are no real benefits to using it otherwise.

Not formatting windows, Im using Wubi

nVidia drivers - but also I am experiencing hanging when authenticating things, such as setting default power options, and having to enter the password, the password box hangs and doesnt work until hitting the X and trying again