Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick out NOW!

I don't ever use Hibernate or whatever myself. I just shut down and restart when needed. But I can see mouldypunk's point. In this case it seems you'd want to have a swap file equal to the size of your RAM, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I am not really sure what holds true for Linux as opposed to what works in Windows as regards memory! Looking at my memory usage I see I am using about 42% of my actual RAM and a whopping 0.2% of the swap file! This is with 20 tabs open in Chromium, Banshee playing and a few other things as well. I see that a few places talk about this: "High RAM and high disk space With 2 GB RAM and 100 GB hard disk, use 2 GB for swap since hard disk space is plentiful." High RAM = 2 GIg: This is not really that high now days but I suppose it's aimed at the average user and not at some of the nut cases out there with PC's that have server capabilities! :)

I like it. Replaced Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop with this new Ubuntu version. Looks and performs nicely.

Glad to hear you are happy, I must say I am loving 10.10, I used the RC for my installation! One or two things that needed to be sorted out but I'm pretty happy overall!

Ubuntu is getting better and better with each new release. Apple and MS better watch out.

Ha ha, I am sure the hard core Linux guys agree with you but I am pretty sure the "Windows Boys" will have something to say about that! :laugh: BTW I totally agree with what you say! At this rate of improvement and new innovation that comes with each new release, I cannot wait for the next one to arrive!

I was thinking the same thing!

What I find amusing about people who make comments like this, quite clearly, demonstrate their lack of understanding about how Linux works! From a command line perspective all Linux distributions are the same, Linux is Linux! The veneer on top is just that, veneer! Take it away and then everyone moans about how ugly Linux is or that it is unrefined and so on and so on!!

because distros like noobuntu preinstall everything while distros like gentoo and arch start you with nothing and you install what you want to run.

Ubuntu is getting better and better with each new release. Apple and MS better watch out.

Ya. MS better watch out. the OS with the 0.2% userbase might one day hit 0.3 and all hell will break loose.

^^ Yup was waiting for this sort of response! Don't worry I won't take the bait! Your statistics as regards the user base is completely wrong btw!

because distros like noobuntu preinstall everything while distros like gentoo and arch start you with nothing and you install what you want to run.

Ya. MS better watch out. the OS with the 0.2% userbase might one day hit 0.3 and all hell will break loose.

And another day it'll hit 0.4, and another 0.5, and another 0.6, and oh you get the point. I don't see the point in your statement tho, so by it hitting a mere 0.1% increase are we not supposed to get excited. Are the other OS developers not supposed to care? By your logic many companies would've been out for the count by now. To some (me included) it doesn't matter how much the Linux user base increases as long as the Distros keep improving the way they are.

Back on topic, this release is great just like the previous ones, is not perfect due to a couple of bugs, but i for one am enjoying it. Not really looking forward to the switch over to Gnome Shell, but i really have not tried it so i can complain about it. Been kind of lazy getting around to installing it and trying it out. Has anyone tried it their Maverick installation yet? Any feedback...

I feel like this is (sadly) a step back.....

2 bugs

1: Auth has a huge bug right now that you enter your password and you click OK nothing happens. You have to click OK and then the X in the left upper corner. Very disappointing.

2: On my side, Ubuntu froze on me. Had to hold the power button and turn off manually. When I turned it back on, the .disk couldnt be found and the grub.conf either. This is on a wubi install.

2 updates were released when it was RTW but it didnt fix this.

10 hours later I have yet to install this. I'm having problems with the installer not being able to find my CD drive, I guess this is what I get for buying 8 year old hardware to run one blush.gif

USB drive?

Here is some help for new users. :)

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat Post Installation Guide

Nice guide :)

Thanks to NullHead @ Ubuntu forum,

If you want the Wubi installer click here -> Ubuntu 10.10 Wubi

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users. It can install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application. It's simple and safe.

Wubi is included in the Ubuntu ISO.

Sadly, I feel like 10.10 is a step back. Ive had 2 big issues with a Wubi install.........

1: Sudo GUI doesnt work and is a huge bug Ive been reading. You enter your password and nothing happens when you click OK. The workaround is enter your password, hit OK, then click on the X in the left upper corner

2: Feels a bit unstable

3: Problably a personal error but Ubuntu froze up, I had to hit/hold the power button to turn off my PC and when I turned it back on, Ubuntu complained that .disk was missing and grub.conf was missing and now my Ubuntu install is broken. Ill just install and reinstall since it is Wubi.

Disappointing though :(

Anyone else think the right-click menus are screwed up? I find that it frequently selects and activates the first item after I right-click because the pointer is too close to the popup.

I've got a simple question for all the Linux / Ubuntu users (please don't flame me!) :

Is Linux still behind the curve when it come to codec, video acceleration and 2D/3D stuff?

My last attempt at using Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) left me with a bad taste because codec support and smooth playback seems to be less than impressive compared to Windows. I did install the correct video drivers, but my feeling is that the underlying X system seems to be slow.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I've got a simple question for all the Linux / Ubuntu users (please don't flame me!) :

Is Linux still behind the curve when it come to codec, video acceleration and 2D/3D stuff?

My last attempt at using Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) left me with a bad taste because codec support and smooth playback seems to be less than impressive compared to Windows. I did install the correct video drivers, but my feeling is that the underlying X system seems to be slow.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Codec support should be great as it uses libavcodec which is what ffdshow uses.

Video acceleration is from your video card. Ati and nVidia have drivers for Linux.

And 2D/3D is unknown for me on Linux.

Disabling swap is stupid thing to do. All things have many layers of caching - cpu has l1/l2/l3 for ram that is the hdd. If you have opened a program in the morning and closed it all libraries will stay in memory for a while, then they will go into the swap and when you open it again in the afternoon libs will load from swap which is faster then looking for them in all around the hdd.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that if a distro includes useful software like OpenOffice, Gimp etc, it's a noob distro? What the hell are you smoking lol, virtually every distro includes additional software, even Sabayon Linux, which is a derivative of Gentoo. So that makes every distro for noobs?, I guess so according to your logic. You sir are an idiot, and know nothing about GNU/Linux.

Windows % market share has been on the decline for a decade, and shows no signs of abating. Whereas Mac and Linux OS's are getting stronger and stronger with each iteration. And by the way, it's greater than 1% worldwide, and in some countries has a much higher percentage. The nice thing about Ubuntu is the dependable release cycle of six months. When is the next windows OS due? Who knows...

Disabling swap is stupid thing to do.

I disabled it on many machines, And the performance always improves. The only machine I do have a swap partition on is my acer aspire one, and that's only because it has 512mb of ram. In Ubuntu my ram rarely exceeds 1gb and most definitely never exceeds 2gb, so therefore the swap is superfluous. All it does is unnecessary read and write from/to the disk, reducing performance, and increasing wear and tear.

All things have many layers of caching - cpu has l1/l2/l3 for ram that is the hdd.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point here. Hard drives themselves have caches too, but this is governed by a hardware controller not the operating system.

If you have opened a program in the morning and closed it all libraries will stay in memory for a while then they will go into the swap and when you open it again in the afternoon

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever. If a shared Linux library is in use, it will remain in memory. Why would it go to the swap space?

libs will load from swap which is faster then looking for them in all around the hdd.

Loading from the swap space is just as inefficient as loading from the hard drive because they come from the same source. It might be fractionally faster, but nothing compared with the speed of ram.

In summary, I don't really understand your argument. If everything is loaded from ram, it will be significantly faster than loading from an HD, and not only that but also when the system does actually need to access the HD, it wont be competing with the swap for access, so it also improves normal HD access speeds.

Sadly, I feel like 10.10 is a step back. Ive had 2 big issues with a Wubi install.........

Disappointing though :(

Apparently, these seem to be affecting Wubi users only. If you do a regular installation (overwrite, or dual boot), or upgrade, then you'll be fine. By the way, which windows OS are you using? It might just be related to windows 7.

Upgraded from x64 10.04 to 10.10, all working ok. Nearly all my 3rd party packages are updated & working.

I'd recommend OMG Ubuntu's "10 things to install":

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

Going to play around with power based clock profiles tonight for my ATi X700, can get quite a bit extra battery life out if it by setting to Low when not gaming.

Can anyone confirm or deny if the black screen on install has been fixed or not in this release.

Rich

Wasn't that just a GFX driver/setting detection issue for Plymouth/X? If by that, it goes through the install sequence as expected on x64 based 10.10.