• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

That is it. I am now officially declaring war on Windows XP.

Frylock86    95

I almost had some malware sneak onto my system (Windows 7 x64) tonight after having one of my jump drives plugged into a school computer running Windows XP. The Worm:Win32/Orbina!rts (Recycler.exe) worm was detected and removed by Microsoft Security Essentials before it could run and assert itself.

I have to be honest here, I am one more 'incident' short of declaring all out war on every single XP system out there still in mainstream use. I thought I could somewhat trust that my school's IT department would be able to run an XP network without it being infected, and if it was, be able to quickly repair it, but I was wrong. Being in the Computer Information Systems program at the college I have a little intel into the affairs of the department and know that they are not planning on getting rid of XP anytime soon either. Do I now tell the staff that their machines are infected?

Either way, there are no excuses anymore.

XP NEEDS TO GO.

So, who is with me? Who else is fed-up with XP and willing to declare war on this piece of technology that has sooo outstayed it's welcome?

Silverskull    0

Ah, yeah, you should probably tell them, and if they don't do anything about it... bring a laptop and never touch those school computers again. XD

Although, thinking about it, with the average non-savvy user being so stupid... don't you think even Vista or 7 machines would've been infected?

Frylock86    95

They can. But with the right tools installed, Windows 7 + MSE + Firefox with Adblock and Noscript, and hide IE from being used, makes it is all but impossible, not to mention the user would be warned that whatever it is they are trying to do has malicious intent.

Silverskull    0

Right, but XP + MSE + Firefox with Adblock and Noscript would be nearly as effective, provided they're kept up to date.

Also hopefully they're not giving students access to the admin accounts... they're not, right?

Glassed Silver    940

Don't be so emotional, I guess you can thank them by a chance of 99% that they don't run proper security software. :)

People complain so much about Windows XP being so insecure, give Windows 7 a little more time and there goes the difference in stats.

Windows XP used to be the new guy in town too, a back then compared better OS than say 95 and 98se/ME... Get over it, schools almost ALWAYS lack behind in adoption the most...

Don't use public PCs like your own ones, ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when adding your own storage to it.

Don't they run self-resetting Hard Disks? As in, everything written to the disks gets deleted after restart?

Then I'd suggest you restart and then connect your storage.

IMHO you can build a Windows XP machine with virtually just as good security measurements and even if you add 3rd party ware.

Peace bro,

hope you'll have success convincing them to make the workstations more secure with EITHER a new OS or just regularly updated/added security software. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Frylock86    95

I guess you can thank them by a chance of 99% that they don't run proper security software. :)

Don't they run self-resetting Hard Disks? As in, everything written to the disks gets deleted after restart?

Then I'd suggest you restart and then connect your storage.

Glassed Silver:mac

No, they don't. At least not anything I would be comfortable running. They run a version of Norton. And, sadly they don't even have resetting disks that could be reset every night.

Also hopefully they're not giving students access to the admin accounts... they're not, right?

Yes, they are. Which is why Windows 7 would work so much better for locking the system down, yet still giving the user the freedom to do what they need to do.

Tech Geek Alex    26

Not to burst your XP bubble....but here is something for you to think about. If you want to get rid of XP, next time you go to your supermarket, ask them what OS runs their registers, it will be XP (or it may be w2k for some of the lower end markets), you will want to also complain to them. Then when thats done, next time in the mall, ask virtually every store what they use to run their stores, guess what the majority including many big box stores (Target, Walmart, etc) use XP to run their front line business. Then once thats done, are you going to a concert or sporting event soon, check out what they are using....wait its almost a guarantee that its XP as well. Then keep in mind that in many of these businesses the same pc that you just gave your info to (for those who keep customer lists) and if nothing else the same pc that they just swiped your credit card info, is the same XP machine that they will surf the internet and check their emails on.

I'm not trying to be mean (please dont get me wrong) but you must try and look at the bigger picture before saying XP just has to go.

Do I think XP needs to be put to rest as a 10 yr old OS - ABSOLUTELY......However I am also realistic that XP will be years before it completely goes away.

Alex

nub    181

You do realized the EXACT same thing could have just as easily happened with windows 7 right? Windows 7 doesn't have magic powers.

Silverskull    0

Yes, they are. Which is why Windows 7 would work so much better for locking the system down, yet still giving the user the freedom to do what they need to do.

Alright but if they're not even attempting to protect their machines now... what makes you think they'll be able to properly secure a Windows 7 box? Incompetent admins are incompetent.

mrp04    379

XP DOES need to go, but this can happen to any OS where users are given admin rights.

A user on a school's computer definitely does not need admin rights, and if they didn't have them, this wouldn't have happened.

Frylock86    95

I'm not trying to be mean (please dont get me wrong) but you must try and look at the bigger picture before saying XP just has to go.

Do I think XP needs to be put to rest as a 10 yr old OS - ABSOLUTELY......However I am also realistic that XP will be years before it completely goes away.

Alex

I know you're not, but XP is just so inherently insecure, and no matter the AV running on it, can be easily over come. It is very unfortunate that people still want to run it, despite this fact, only to save a couple of bucks which most likely they will spend trying to clean up an infection regardless.

Windows Vista upped the security features which made it even more difficult for malware to make it onto the system, Windows 7 upped the ante by giving admins the power to remove IE from the system completely and install a more secure browser.

Now I know that if the user really wants to run something, regardless of what the program does, the OS will run it. But at least Vista/7 aren't as open as XP is to this stuff.

Pam14160    319

Why is it when someone complains about the age of XP and the problems associated with keeping it alive someone has to come along and start telling how important it really is in today world.

Yes we know already that there are companies, and organization out there still using XP. We know that it is going to take some time before it all gets changed over to either Windows 7 or even 8.

>Ned    77

I thought I could somewhat trust that my school's IT department....

What was that now? :laugh:

Frylock86    95

What was that now? :laugh:

:laugh: I think you guys might be right. Looking at this again, they did drop the ball big time and should take most of the blame here.

While I stand by my belief that Windows XP still equates to Swiss Cheese in terms of security, there is just no reason why these machines can not be set up better to minimize the threat.

Maybe we should add "Admins that cannot properly secure a public system" to the description of criminal negligence?

Mr aldo    0

Not to burst your XP bubble....but here is something for you to think about. If you want to get rid of XP, next time you go to your supermarket, ask them what OS runs their registers, it will be XP (or it may be w2k for some of the lower end markets), you will want to also complain to them. Then when thats done, next time in the mall, ask virtually every store what they use to run their stores, guess what the majority including many big box stores (Target, Walmart, etc) use XP to run their front line business. Then once thats done, are you going to a concert or sporting event soon, check out what they are using....wait its almost a guarantee that its XP as well. Then keep in mind that in many of these businesses the same pc that you just gave your info to (for those who keep customer lists) and if nothing else the same pc that they just swiped your credit card info, is the same XP machine that they will surf the internet and check their emails on.

Alex

Yes, I am sure he knows that. Most of the bottle return machines around here run Windows 98... I could care less about that. Those don't exactly access the Internet, as the companies don't allow them to, or at least only to access a small part of the Internet or Intranet.

I am pretty sure he means regular people, home users, computers in companies people use, not machines, registers, etc.

Lazure    52

XP needs to be destroyed. Anyone installing XP on brand new, modern hardware should be shot. Hell, XP doesn't even belong on a computer built 3 years ago. It's good that XP has an end of sale already, but there are people who've stocked up on keys, or just plain use pirated copies of XP that will continue to use it forever.

What I wanna know is, these people obsessed with using XP still, hating on anything new, what are they gonna do when their computers die and they have to get new computers, and the new hardware they get can't even install XP? This is bound to happen down the road, especially by 2014.

Just like that guy who got a recent computer, but wanted to install Windows 2000 on it and replace Windows 7. Of course that's not going to work, but the dude insisted on it anyways. Some people are just crazy and can't handle change to the point that they try to force the impossible to live in the past.

EDIT: And I don't count business machines, such as registers or cashier stations in this. I am talking mainly about computers normal everyday people use, such as your home PC, or a PC in a school that students use.

farmeunit    667

Software restriction policies can stop most malware in XP if done correctly.

xdot.tk    118

Windows 7 fanboys need to go.

Frylock86    95

Windows 7 fanboys need to go.

I am not a Windows 7 fanboy. I simply have stated that XP needs to go. There are no more excuses why it needs to remain around anymore, financial reasons included. The operating system is causing users more headaches than upgrading to a modern OS would.

It is time leaders everywhere to forcefully push ahead with upgrading, and put XP once and for all in the trash where it belongs, at all costs.

cork1958    1,676

I am not a Windows 7 fanboy. I simply have stated that XP needs to go. There are no more reasons why it needs to remain around anymore, Financial reasons included. The operating system is causing users more headaches than upgrading to a modern OS would.

It is time to push ahead with upgrading at all costs.

I know most people here don't give a rats rip about costs, as most everyone here is a keep up with the Jones' type person, but you do realize times are real hard for a lot of people and businesses, and your statement of "It is time to push ahead with upgrading at all costs" just doesn't work for everyone, and I'm sure that includes the majority of the world even!

Sure, XP is old, but it still works, and works VERY WELL!

notuptome2004    156

I know most people here don't give a rats rip about costs, as most everyone here is a keep up with the Jones' type person, but you do realize times are real hard for a lot of people and businesses, and your statement of "It is time to push ahead with upgrading at all costs" just doesn't work for everyone, and I'm sure that includes the majority of the world even!

Works well you say . so you saying it works on a Core i7 with a GTX 460 and 4gb of ram or more just like the same hardware would on windows 7 ... please give me a break on that XP wont use that hardware correct.

Frylock86    95

I know that. But the time has come where "Good enough" doesn't work anymore.

XP being "Good enough" and lousy IT staff who have settled into that "good enough" frame of mind, are continually allowing malware to propagate through our networks.

How this kind of behavior is allowed is beyond me.

Sigmatic.Minor    20

Yeah.. sorry, but students (or most users in general) with Admin accounts? Norton as the AV? Big no-no.. The EXACT same issues would happen with Win7 if it was set up the same way...

If the computers were running XP with no SPs or SP1 I'd probably agree the OS is at fault somewhere, but if its up to date and set up correctly the network admins are to blame there

DKAngel    314

death to xp yes

i cant stand it anymore

just looks liek something ficherprice brought out

Master1    11

Alex

Add the Los Angeles Metro to this list