That is it. I am now officially declaring war on Windows XP.

Vista/7 was developed from the server code base. Not XP's. :shiftyninja:

But getting back on topic, I wish I understood why there aren't laws from preventing technology from stagnating like it has. continuing to use an OS that has little to nothing in the way of built in security only serves to continual spread of malware, both new and old. All the while considering we have laws that prevent the stagnation of water in our communities in which that too, could spread disease if left alone for long enough periods.

Continuing to use XP on our networks is similar to swimming in a pool that has been full of standing water all summer long. It's not a matter of if you will get bitten, but when. But if we keep that water moving, it eliminates the chances of disease spreading. At most we should have laws in place from preventing an operating system from being run for more than 5 years max. Anyone not off by then should be (literally) forced off or pay the consequences.

/Facepalm. Go become a billionaire and then buy tech upgrades for every company ok?

You're like those people who seem to think just because Microsoft earns billions they can just throw money around. Grow up and realize thats not how corporations work. And schools have even lower budgets than corporations.

that doesn't make any sense

I was comparing the continual use of XP (Or any technology after a set period of time) to standing water in a pool. Both are going no where soon, and both promote the spread of disease.

Either way, there are no excuses anymore.

XP NEEDS TO GO.

So, who is with me? Who else is fed-up with XP and willing to declare war on this piece of technology that has sooo outstayed it's welcome?

I can't really agree.

I never had many virus problems with Windows XP.

I updated, used a decent virus scanner, avoided clicking on bad things, etc.

There are thousands of malware, viruses out there. Hard to cover them all, on every computer.

What will you say if your Windows 7 gets hit with some future virus ?

Probably bound to happen ... ;)

They're the same thing. 2000 -> XP -> Server 2003 (R2)/XP x64 -> Vista -> Vista SP1/Server 2008 -> 7/Server 2008 R2.

Yep. See. Windows 7 is just a GUI face-front of those technologies to make people think you need to upgrade each time a new version is released when in fact the benefits provided to "average joes" are tiny to nil. People normally get the new OS as part of a new PC. Some buy it as part of education bonus, others small number of people buy it standalone retail. To the common mums and dads, these behind-the-scenes tech means nothing to them. They think the windows GUI is part of the computer.

Remember comptuers at schools and corporations are tools, NOT enterainment units. Even windows 98 can run office 2000 and their formats are STILL supported in Office 2010. Microsoft just build upon the previious OS to make it more "modern" which means more $$ for Microsoft because of people like you who believe they should upgrade everytime a new version is released.

I'm not defending XP, it's just a OS that just works. Your problem is the situation of "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair".

Microsoft is STILL supporting XP until 2014 (only SP2) !!

I almost had some malware sneak onto my system (Windows 7 x64) tonight after having one of my jump drives plugged into a school computer running Windows XP. The Worm:Win32/Orbina!rts (Recycler.exe) worm was detected and removed by Microsoft Security Essentials before it could run and assert itself.

I have to be honest here, I am one more 'incident' short of declaring all out war on every single XP system out there still in mainstream use. I thought I could somewhat trust that my school's IT department would be able to run an XP network without it being infected, and if it was, be able to quickly repair it, but I was wrong. Being in the Computer Information Systems program at the college I have a little intel into the affairs of the department and know that they are not planning on getting rid of XP anytime soon either. Do I now tell the staff that their machines are infected?

Either way, there are no excuses anymore.

XP NEEDS TO GO.

So, who is with me? Who else is fed-up with XP and willing to declare war on this piece of technology that has sooo outstayed it's welcome?

get an astaro security gateway. software or hardware. I stopped using xp april 20th /year of vista launch... i got the upgrade dvd by mail, and my computer came back form repairs that day. I proudly installed windows vista on that machine. Now Im longing for what windows os8 will provide for the user?

I have to use Win XP for one year and half in my laptop now since I am attending flying school and I have no money to purchase a new one. I had Windows 7 before in this laptop but it has Fan problems and overheats. I must say I noticed a speed decrease with Windows XP, I know it sounds weird but it really seems to be slower!

You do realized the EXACT same thing could have just as easily happened with windows 7 right? Windows 7 doesn't have magic powers.

I was going to bring this up myself. There is nothing special about Vista or 7 that would have prevented that virus from getting on to his flash drive. Plugging your flash drive into a public computer, and then bringing it back to your own computer is always a risk, no matter what OS that public computer happens to be running. Kind of like going to visit a prostitute without a condom and then coming back home to your wife or girlfriend.

Works well you say . so you saying it works on a Core i7 with a GTX 460 and 4gb of ram or more just like the same hardware would on windows 7 ... please give me a break on that XP wont use that hardware correct.

Going back to the reasons for using XP the person you quoted was talking about, if they don't have the money to upgrade from XP, they probably aren't running the latest and greatest hardware either.

XP needs to be destroyed. Anyone installing XP on brand new, modern hardware should be shot. Hell, XP doesn't even belong on a computer built 3 years ago. It's good that XP has an end of sale already, but there are people who've stocked up on keys, or just plain use pirated copies of XP that will continue to use it forever.

What I wanna know is, these people obsessed with using XP still, hating on anything new, what are they gonna do when their computers die and they have to get new computers, and the new hardware they get can't even install XP? This is bound to happen down the road, especially by 2014.

Just like that guy who got a recent computer, but wanted to install Windows 2000 on it and replace Windows 7. Of course that's not going to work, but the dude insisted on it anyways. Some people are just crazy and can't handle change to the point that they try to force the impossible to live in the past.

EDIT: And I don't count business machines, such as registers or cashier stations in this. I am talking mainly about computers normal everyday people use, such as your home PC, or a PC in a school that students use.

.......wow. What, did XP stab your first born in the heart or something?

Calm the hell down. It's so easy for you to sit there and say "OMG XP NEEDS TO DIE GRAWWRRRR" but excuse me, have you ever paid for enterprise licenses? Come to think of it, the way you talk about 7 and how basically anyone not using it is dumb, did you even PAY for your own copy? XP + Deep Freeze has been suiting enterprise computers for a long time now. Might want to Google Deep Freeze if you don't know what it does.

Sorry to say this thread is stupid.

The OP is blaming an Os for his misfortune and not the lack of security on the machines? Its a public computer and even if it had Windows 7 the same would happen with the same lack of security you even went and mentioned added extras the admins of the network could add and there all xp compatible! Sorry but blaming an os because you used a public computer which lacks decent security is your own fault NOT the os's! LOL

The OP is blaming an Os for his misfortune and not the lack of security on the machines? Its a public computer and even if it had Windows 7 the same would happen with the same lack of security you even went and mentioned added extras the admins of the network could add and there all xp compatible! Sorry but blaming an os because you used a public computer which lacks decent security is your own fault NOT the os's! LOL

I agree. Quit blaming the Os and start blaming the IT department.

Grow a set of balls and go talk to them instead of crying like a baby to us.

Not to burst your XP bubble....but here is something for you to think about. If you want to get rid of XP, next time you go to your supermarket, ask them what OS runs their registers, it will be XP (or it may be w2k for some of the lower end markets), you will want to also complain to them. Then when thats done, next time in the mall, ask virtually every store what they use to run their stores, guess what the majority including many big box stores (Target, Walmart, etc) use XP to run their front line business. Then once thats done, are you going to a concert or sporting event soon, check out what they are using....wait its almost a guarantee that its XP as well. Then keep in mind that in many of these businesses the same pc that you just gave your info to (for those who keep customer lists) and if nothing else the same pc that they just swiped your credit card info, is the same XP machine that they will surf the internet and check their emails on.

I'm not trying to be mean (please dont get me wrong) but you must try and look at the bigger picture before saying XP just has to go.

Do I think XP needs to be put to rest as a 10 yr old OS - ABSOLUTELY......However I am also realistic that XP will be years before it completely goes away.

Alex

The registers at 99% of stores I've visited are still running 3.1. Not a good comparison though as they are reliant on the software they originally had written by developers that likely no longer exist.

I was comparing the continual use of XP (Or any technology after a set period of time) to standing water in a pool. Both are going no where soon, and both promote the spread of disease.

well , Microsoft support there OS for ten years , why limit it for five years?

and they are going to provide security patch for XP till 2014

and how are you going to enforce the 'five year only ' law anyway?

what i can see they can mandate that you can only connect to the internet with supported platform or they limit your access

or just outlaw selling outdated/unsupported OS ??

Microsoft is STILL supporting XP until 2014 (only SP2) !!

XP SP2 is no longer supported , expired since last July

to get support you should install SP3

XP will die in 3 1/2 years or so. We can all celebrate then.

By then, Vista, despite being a good OS, will be an afterthought, the majority of the world will be on Windows 7, and Windows 8 will have its enthusiast user base akin to how 7 is now.

Well, businesses will always lag. This is a constant. They use computers often outside of the ways the computers were designed to be used. You're using a specialized keyboard with a specialized display set up for basically one app. You're not using a regular keyboard, mouse, navigating the desktop or clicking icons. For this, it's hard to tell they're actually using XP, or 2000, or any of that.. outside of maybe the look of the old grey classic theme buttons all over the friggin place.

However, for home and other standard computer use... the only computers XP should rightfully belong on, are old computers. Aging computers that don't have proper drivers or HDD/RAM capacity to handle Windows 7's features fluidly, and there's the fact that paying for a new OS to waste it on an old, slow computer sounds ridiculous too.

THAT SAID, XP should never ever ever ever EVER be put on a modern day machine. Never on a core 2 machine, an AMD Phenom II machine, and DEFINITELY not a core i3/i5/i7 machine. That's just ridiculously stupid. The modern computers would only be burdened by its limitations.

There are seriously people out there who built these top of the line systems... overclocked i7 9xx, with 6GB DDR3 RAM with good timings and triple channel speeds, high end video cards with lots of VRAM. They go and put XP on it, cuz they think it's better than Vista/7 even for that machine, not even CARING that they lost 3-4GB of usable RAM to the 32-bit limitation as well as the extra addressing for their awesome video card's VRAM. On top of that, they even go and use the CLASSIC theme and turn all the visual settings to "Performance" in system settings, to disable the desktop icon shadows and showing window contents when dragging, etc. Why? Why ruin such an expensively built machine with an old OS with it totally stripped down the way an old P3 would be? Windows 7 64-bit would not only give them all their RAM, their hardware would actually be used correctly, they'd have better drivers for their video card and thus games will run better, they'd have Aero which would run mega smooth on such a beastly machine, and everything would run very snappy and very fast. People like that, are so ignorant you won't believe it.

Well, businesses will always lag. This is a constant. They use computers often outside of the ways the computers were designed to be used. You're using a specialized keyboard with a specialized display set up for basically one app. You're not using a regular keyboard, mouse, navigating the desktop or clicking icons. For this, it's hard to tell they're actually using XP, or 2000, or any of that.. outside of maybe the look of the old grey classic theme buttons all over the friggin place.

However, for home and other standard computer use... the only computers XP should rightfully belong on, are old computers. Aging computers that don't have proper drivers or HDD/RAM capacity to handle Windows 7's features fluidly, and there's the fact that paying for a new OS to waste it on an old, slow computer sounds ridiculous too.

THAT SAID, XP should never ever ever ever EVER be put on a modern day machine. Never on a core 2 machine, an AMD Phenom II machine, and DEFINITELY not a core i3/i5/i7 machine. That's just ridiculously stupid. The modern computers would only be burdened by its limitations.

There are seriously people out there who built these top of the line systems... overclocked i7 9xx, with 6GB DDR3 RAM with good timings and triple channel speeds, high end video cards with lots of VRAM. They go and put XP on it, cuz they think it's better than Vista/7 even for that machine, not even CARING that they lost 3-4GB of usable RAM to the 32-bit limitation as well as the extra addressing for their awesome video card's VRAM. On top of that, they even go and use the CLASSIC theme and turn all the visual settings to "Performance" in system settings, to disable the desktop icon shadows and showing window contents when dragging, etc. Why? Why ruin such an expensively built machine with an old OS with it totally stripped down the way an old P3 would be? Windows 7 64-bit would not only give them all their RAM, their hardware would actually be used correctly, they'd have better drivers for their video card and thus games will run better, they'd have Aero which would run mega smooth on such a beastly machine, and everything would run very snappy and very fast. People like that, are so ignorant you won't believe it.

.......ok, I'm sure that took you a lot of gusto and passion to write, but the OP is talking about businesses and the educational sector, so you can stow your pent up anger for all things not Windows 7 (or 64-bit) and empty said rage into the other thread instead, ok?

Besides, what you keep whining about (which, I might add, affects you in no way whatsoever) doesn't happen nearly as often as you think. I'm sure you'd like to think it does, otherwise all your pent up fury would have no substance and you'd feel pretty foolish.

People like that, are so ignorant you won't believe it.

People can do what they want with their computers last time I heard. Didn't realize you were the OS police. Why do you keep putting people down?

LS was definitely right about you.

People can do what they want with their computers last time I heard. Didn't realize you were the OS police. Why do you keep putting people down?

LS was definitely right about you.

I'm telling you, it's as if Windows XP and 32-bit software users have stabbed his first born child in the heart and took a dump in the casket. The amount of rage he emits at a concept that is just so casual is just astonishing. I ask you, does it not make sense that the change between XP users to Windows 7 will both be forced and gradual? The same with 32-bit to 64-bit. Either way, the future is 64-bit, and current 32-bit users aren't exactly hindering that progress.

Windows XP is the new 3.1, where people were afraid of a major OS change like 95, they kept 3.1. Same thing with Vista/7. Not to mention why upgrade to something that isn't broke (for the task it needs to perform)

I still had to deal with 3.1 installs up until several years ago, until the hardware it was running on finally died. I'm sure IT will have to deal with XP for many more years to come.