Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

Move over Mail.app.. Sparrow Beta is here!

What-is-Sparrow2.png

What is sparrow ?

Sparrow is a minimalist mail application for Mac. It was designed to keep things simple and efficient. No fancy stuff here... just your mail and nothing else.

Thread-S-Full2.png

Threads

Quickly flick through threaded conversations on your mac like never before.

Thread-S-Full2.png

Not so minimal...

See your mails the way you want. Quickly glance at the preview. Read it in a new window or open the right pane to enjoy Sparrow's full potential.

growl.png

Notifications

Growl is integrated for notifications addicts

Grab it here

Yeah, I used it quite some time now and I like it! Thing is, though, that it feels a little buggy atm, which is okay, considering it's beta. But still... Sometimes, the animations are cut off, fetching new mail takes ages and I think the MenuBar icon still needs some work.

But other than that, it's a nice little App with an interesting approach. I love the iPad-like interface and the sweet little animations (when they work) but I'd love an option for hiding the Dock icon, like I loved to have with Tweetie.

IMHO it's more like an alternative for Notify2 than Mail.app but hell, I still have it installed and as soon as I prefare something other than the amazing GMail web interface, I will use it as my main client for sure. =)

Doesn't seem ready for primetime to me. Also, Mail is pretty lightweight as it is and already features a minimal interface.

Looks like they'll be planning to ask money for this in the future. I see no reason to pay for something like this, considering it doesn't seem to have a real advantage over Mail. In fact it seems to have more disadvantages. This seems like yet another application project that will soon see development crawl to a stop after the initial version is released (AppZapper, Disco, Headline etc.).

That said it's always good to have options.

I really like the App, looks a lot like the Twitter Client app, but I cant see any support for GMail labels at the moment, so it's a dealbreaker for me as I have NO e-mails in my inbox.

Hotmail has POP3 support, so why wouldn't it?

Really? When did that happen? I thought it was still all heavily integrated with the WebUI and all. Still, IMAP or GTFO. :D

Really? When did that happen? I thought it was still all heavily integrated with the WebUI and all. Still, IMAP or GTFO. :D

Hotmails had POP3 support since like... forever. Originally you had to pay for it but a few years ago they allowed it on free accounts too.

Heard about it a few days ago. I hope Apple is watching, minimal is where things are going, and that's really really minimal.

yeah, because Mail.app and everything Apple does is oh so cluttered. :D Nah, you are right. This might've come from Apple themselves, indeed. Or could, in the future.

It looks like it could have some nice uses, but the limit to Gmail perturbs me. I've run my own mail server for near on 10 years now to avoid issues with third party providers and I don't see how it would be difficult to add support unless they're pulling the html directly from google to produce threaded conversation. I hope they add pop3/imap support in at some point because I'd like to try this client.

It looks like it could have some nice uses, but the limit to Gmail perturbs me. I've run my own mail server for near on 10 years now to avoid issues with third party providers and I don't see how it would be difficult to add support unless they're pulling the html directly from google to produce threaded conversation. I hope they add pop3/imap support in at some point because I'd like to try this client.

They've already stated that IMAP support is coming.

I honesty don't see how Mail is cluttered... It's the best email client I ever used.

I understand you are being sarcastic, instant.human. ;)

haha yeah I was. :p Sorry for not making it clear.

I have to agree with you, I was a thunderbird-user for ages, old windows-habits, didn't drop it until very late but then never went back from Mail. Until I found out that I love web apps and with HTML5 and CSS3, the GMail web app experience is unrivaled, IMHO. I only use GMail anyways, the power of freelance and not being forced to rely on corporate mail, so it's more than enough for me. Paired with Notify2 it's just perfect for me.

However, Mail is indeed the best mail client out there. Clean and sweet.

Sparrow doesn't support POP3. Only gmail for now, and IMAP eventually.

Ah, I didn't notice that. What the **** are they thinking releasing an e-mail client that doesn't support POP3 and IMAP???? You can't really consider it a "Mail alternative" if it doesn't support basic features like that.