• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

Malisk    142

I love this app! :) Sparrow for Mail and Reeder for RSS with all its Readability goodness built-in is a quite powerful and slick duo.

.Neo    1,834
Like every other place we can format text (website forums, Office, iWork), there is a formatting bar, which makes sense.

You're not very likely to apply advanced formatting to an email message though. Anyway, those keyboard shortcuts are all I ever needed.

piehouserat    0

Why anyone is still using POP3 or anything other than Gmail is beyond me but each to their own. Looks like Sparrow is designed for users like me, if you don't use Gmail or IMAP then just ignore this thread. Simple as.

Southern Patriot    962
(by the way you just taught me a way to do basic formatting on text using keyboard shortcuts, I believe I’m not the only one who don’t use or know them...)

Wow! Are there really that many people who don't know such basic keyboard shortcuts? They are the same in Windows as well, other than replacing cmd with ctrl. I'm really starting to think that the dumbing down of computers has gone a little too far when people have gotten to the point where they don't even learn basic keyboard shortcuts, relying instead on clicking on menus and toolbars for everything.

Why anyone is still using POP3 or anything other than Gmail is beyond me but each to their own. Looks like Sparrow is designed for users like me, if you don't use Gmail or IMAP then just ignore this thread. Simple as.

There are a whole world of e-mail servers out there that use IMAP and POP3 (as in most ISP servers and businesses). Sparrow is trumpeted as an alternative for Mail, but until it supports common e-mail standards (other than just supporting specific servers such as Gmail) then it cannot remotely be considered as an actual replacement for Mail. Until people stop claiming that Sparrow is something that it is not, then people will keep coming to this thread expecting it to be a full fledged e-mail program, then complaining when it doesn't actually support common e-mail protocols. It would certainly help if a mod would change the totally misleading title of the thread to something more accurate, such as "Sparrow (e-mail app for Gmail)".

I just did some reading on the about page for Sparrow, and it is based on an e-mail engine that started development 10 years ago called Etpan. The funny thing is that the engine DOES support POP3, IMAP, and other protocols!!! So why exacatly doesn't the Sparrow app support them??? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Shadrack    601

Wait, so Sparrow does support IMAP? I was under the impression it was a Gmail only client... How well does it support multiple email accounts?

I wish they would release a trial of it...

Rudy    457

Gmail? :laugh: Isn't it possible these days to use Hotmail in whatever mail client you want? I thought Microsoft enabled that years ago. Some ISPs around here provide the option to keep your email account live even after you switched to another company for a minimal fee per month or year. My ISP provides it for 5 euros a month, which is next to nothing really. Obviously I have no idea if Canadian ISP do the same.

I have a gmail account but I don't like it enough to switch from Hotmail to gmail :/ Plus as I said earlier I'm not really interested in changing email...I've been using it for 14 years... pretty much every account I've created uses it and everyone I know has been given that email address

enigma-penguin    17

I just did some reading on the about page for Sparrow, and it is based on an e-mail engine that started development 10 years ago called Etpan. The funny thing is that the engine DOES support POP3, IMAP, and other protocols!!! So why exacatly doesn't the Sparrow app support them??? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Now that is interesting roadwarrior! I'm imagining they're trying to make the gmail style things "work" with generic imap implementations, maybe using some local tricks. I'll post some news about how it's all working, if they ever start this private beta.

Xtreme $niper    51

Wow! Are there really that many people who don't know such basic keyboard shortcuts? They are the same in Windows as well, other than replacing cmd with ctrl. I'm really starting to think that the dumbing down of computers has gone a little too far when people have gotten to the point where they don't even learn basic keyboard shortcuts, relying instead on clicking on menus and toolbars for everything.

Honestly, it hurts me inside every time I see someone constantly switching between applications by moving their mouse down to the task bar and clicking on the other window. Even simple things like Alt+Tab (or Cmd+Tab) are foreign concepts to most computer users these days.

If it were up to me, I'd make it mandatory to take a basic computing test before being allowed to buy a computer for the first time. But that'll never happen because people hate being forced to learn things, even if it means the end result is a bunch of dimwits using a complex system in the least efficient way possible.

But I digress, I think the reason why Sparrow is being touted as the alternative to Mail is because most people use Mail with Gmail, and so for those users, it IS an alternative to Mail.

I honestly can't believe how hung up people are getting over the temporary lack of IMAP support. It's kind of edging on a bit of hilarious, while teetering on infuriating.

Southern Patriot    962
I honestly can't believe how hung up people are getting over the temporary lack of IMAP support. It's kind of edging on a bit of hilarious, while teetering on infuriating.

That "temporary" lack of support sure is taking a long time to get corrected, especially since the engine they are using for the program already supports it (as well as POP3, SMTP and even NNTP), as I pointed out earlier. According to enigma-penguin above, they still haven't released that private beta yet.

PyX    140

It's like saying I am dumb because I don't know how to create a folder in the Terminal. Why would I ever want to learn this when I can just open the Finder and create one with the GUI?

Only geeks use keyboard shortcuts other than copy/paste. As for myself, I use a lot of them for window shortcuts and editing, but never formatted anything with keyboard shortcuts.

The modernity is to have a nice GUI where everything is streamlined and as easy to attain as a simple keyboard shortcut, like the ribbon interface for instance. It's not a question about being dumb or not. You know an interface is awesome when it's almost as fast keyboard shortcuts.

Elliott    235

Sparrow will never knock off Mail for me, since I'm assuming it will never get Exchange support.

PyX    140

That "temporary" lack of [iMAP] support sure is taking a long time to get corrected

It'll be there in the beginning of March according to their blog and the application will only be at version 1.1...

Do you really count the beta stages in the "long time" it's taking?

.Neo    1,834
The modernity is to have a nice GUI where everything is streamlined and as easy to attain as a simple keyboard shortcut, like the ribbon interface for instance. It's not a question about being dumb or not. You know an interface is awesome when it's almost as fast keyboard shortcuts.

Except you're forgetting Mac OS has a history of relying heavily on keyboard shortcuts as well, more so than Windows and Linux. In an application like Mail it makes perfect sense that the quick way to access low-level formatting options is through keyboard shortcuts, rather than having a formatting bar.

And yeah, cmd + B/U/I is pretty basic knowledge.

vhane    94

That "temporary" lack of support sure is taking a long time to get corrected, especially since the engine they are using for the program already supports it (as well as POP3, SMTP and even NNTP), as I pointed out earlier. According to enigma-penguin above, they still haven't released that private beta yet.

So let's say that you have an engine that can be used to drive wheels, an airplane propeller or a ship propeller. You decide to build an airplane first. Some people say "cool, this plane flies pretty well". Others ask "why can't it float yet? Isn't it just a matter of making sure that the bodywork has no holes?" Well... not quite.

Software development is hard. In the grand scheme of things, Sparrow's development and progress has been pretty good so far. Why all the hate? If you don't like it, don't use it. There are many other email clients out there.

Miuku.    364
Software development is hard. In the grand scheme of things, Sparrow's development and progress has been pretty good so far. Why all the hate? If you don't like it, don't use it. There are many other email clients out there.

When you charge 10$ for an application that does less than my text-only-mail-application from 1991, I'd say people are entitled to complain just a little.

Also, there seems to be no trial anymore - which is hilarious, or sad - depending on how you look at it.

.Neo    1,834

When you charge 10$ for an application that does less than my text-only-mail-application from 1991, I'd say people are entitled to complain just a little.

Also, there seems to be no trial anymore - which is hilarious, or sad - depending on how you look at it.

We've seen this happening for quite some time now. During the Mac OS X Tiger days it became known as the Delicious Generation of applications. These (in most cases) one-trick ponies were famous for their well put together interfaces and eye candy. At the same time the majority of applications became infamous for their extremely lacking feature set, slow update pace, poor support and disproportional pricing. Their developers were often criticized for focussing way too heavily on form at the expense of functionality and releasing software before it was ready. Development of many Delicious applications would slow down immensely or die down altogether after a fairly short time, leaving their users hang to dry.

Sounds in any way familiar? (Except for the last part, it's too early to tell)

vhane    94

Wow, $10.

What about Panic charging $99 for Coda then? As a Vim user, should I go and troll Coda threads?

How much did your last Apple computer cost? Do we seriously need to discuss perceived value on an Apple forum? Are people really unable to think outside of their own needs and situations?

PyX    140

Wow, $10.

What about Panic charging $99 for Coda then? As a Vim user, should I go and troll Coda threads?

Well technically, Coda required a LOT and a LOT of development to become what it is now. Much more than 10x the work done for Sparrow.

Oh, and you can sell websites once you own it, which will bring you much more money than the $99 you spent.

So that isn't really a valuable argument, or is it?

vhane    94

Well technically, Coda required a LOT and a LOT of development to become what it is now. Much more than 10x the work done for Sparrow.

Oh, and you can sell websites once you own it, which will bring you much more money than the $99 you spent.

I'm not going to argue with you over Coda's price. As a developer, I think that Panic should absolutely be rewarded for their work.

As for Sparrow: $10. The price of two coffees. Can you seriously not fathom that someone might find it a fair deal? Think back about the last time a PC user argued with you over the "Apple Tax". Now put yourself in your own shoes.

.Neo    1,834

You're bringing up two things (Apple Tax and the Coda thing) that have very little relevance regarding Sparrow.

Shadrack    601

Do you have any idea how much development it took for VIM to become what it is now? He has a valid point. Never-mind other software packages on Windows that are freeware and feature rich (Paint.NET, Notepad++ for instance).

Developers charge what they think the market can bare. If you can't bare it then you are probably not in their market.

Xtreme $niper    51

Yeah, I think people are forgetting that in the end it's your choice if you want to buy it or not.

When the feature set is appropriate for you, buy it. Until then, if you feel that it is not worth it, then don't. It's pretty simple. Like I said before, there are hundreds/thousands of Gmail users who use Mail as their primary email client. I'm sure they would find Sparrow's current feature set to be worth the cost, and when it is updated in the future to include more protocol support, then they'll (hopefully/probably) get a free upgrade as a thanks for being an early adopter.

Southern Patriot    962
Only geeks use keyboard shortcuts other than copy/paste.

LOL!!!

And 15 years ago, lots of people lots of people said "only geeks use the internet", and 10 or 15 years before that, lots of people said "only geeks use computers".

Southern Patriot    962
Do you really count the beta stages in the "long time" it's taking?

Yes, I do. That's like saying that the long wait between XP and Vista shouldn't be counted because Vista was in beta.

PyX    140

Yes, I do. That's like saying that the long wait between XP and Vista shouldn't be counted because Vista was in beta.

But Sparrow was just born like a few weeks ago or so. Windows was born a long time ago and upgrade again and again.

You’re comparing a product overhaul to a fresh, newly born product.