Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

I'm not going to argue with you over Coda's price. As a developer, I think that Panic should absolutely be rewarded for their work.

As for Sparrow: $10. The price of two coffees. Can you seriously not fathom that someone might find it a fair deal? Think back about the last time a PC user argued with you over the "Apple Tax". Now put yourself in your own shoes.

Slightly off topic here, but you can only get two coffee's for $10?! That's outrageous! I can get at least 3 from Starbucks, probably 4 going on 5 on some retail outlets on campus, with 6 from the SU cafe, for ?10

@All, whatever, this little App does everything I need EXCEPT sync my address book properly and allow setup of Distribution Lists. Once it has them, it'll replace GMail for me 100%

Slightly off topic here, but you can only get two coffee's for $10?! That's outrageous! I can get at least 3 from Starbucks, probably 4 going on 5 on some retail outlets on campus, with 6 from the SU cafe, for £10

These days a $ will only get you so far... ;)

Slightly off topic here, but you can only get two coffee's for $10?! That's outrageous! I can get at least 3 from Starbucks, probably 4 going on 5 on some retail outlets on campus, with 6 from the SU cafe, for ?10

I can get 2 Starbucks coffees. My size though... before starting school... Ahhh, what a relief that is :)

See the thing is that for €8,- I get three (or more) coffees with an expected feature set... That means coffee with everything that it's supposed to have: Not a cold coffee, not mearly hot water or a cup filled with coffee beans or whatever... If that isn't the case I simply return it for a proper cup.

Geez.

$10 is 4 beer where I'm from (at a bar).

Honestly, we could do without the 4 weekday beers, and have a nice app that will last a lot longer. ;)

And at the same time allow the dev. to have a few :beer:

As far as I know it's a two man company; so yeah it's taking them a while, but it will eventually happen.

Ah "eventually"... Well, that's definitely good to know! :)

The Beta is now out and it has a few niggles, but it looks good so far. Looks like I was on the right track assuming that they were going for the gmail feel without the gmail account; I like it. Im not testing it with my every day mail email account just in case, but it is my mail server.

Stars etc seem to work okay:

Screen%20shot%202011-02-21%20at%206.53.06%20PM.png

It also looks like labels are working too:

Screen%20shot%202011-02-21%20at%207.34.15%20PM.png

Ah "eventually"... Well, that's definitely good to know! :)

They said beginning of March for the IMAP support on their blog, a few weeks ago.

Since it is on the App Store that people are aware of this, so even though I see problems with this email client (currently lack of generic POP3 and IMAP support and the $), I fail to see why this "eventually" is a problem when they actually gave us a time interval :-\

In no time it will become better than Mail (with POP3 and IMAP support soon and with the Lite version)

The titlebar-less window design is really starting to grow on me. I'm really hoping it will go system-wide in Mac OS X Lion. Looks nice and clean and it definitely sets Mac OS X apart from Windows and Linux (no doubt the latter will copy it first chance they got). (Y)

In no time it will become better than Mail (with POP3 and IMAP support soon and with the Lite version)

Beyond personal preference when it comes to the interface it's in no way "better than Mail" nor will it be anytime soon. Even with POP3 and IMAP support Sparrow's feature set is fairly limited compared to Mail's.

The titlebar-less window design is really starting to grow on me. I'm really hoping it will go system-wide in Mac OS X Lion. Looks nice and clean and it definitely sets Mac OS X apart from Windows and Linux (no doubt the latter will copy it first chance they got). (Y)

Beyond personal preference when it comes to the interface it's in no way "better than Mail" nor will it be anytime soon. Even with POP3 and IMAP support Sparrow's feature set is fairly limited compared to Mail's.

Yeah - the titlebar-less design sureis nice, us Windows users have had it for about 4 years now and it works well.

Yeah - the titlebar-less design sureis nice, us Windows users have had it for about 4 years now and it works well.

Except Windows Vista / 7 windows do all have a titlebar, it just doesn't display any text in some applications like Explorer and Internet Explorer 9 but the space is still there and being wasted. I suggest you take a harder look.

screenshot20110221at160.png

Except Windows Vista / 7 windows do all have a titlebar, it just doesn't display any text in some applications like Explorer and Internet Explorer 9 but the space is still there and being wasted. I suggest you take a harder look.

Not to mention the solution in both Reeder and Sparrow are much smaller yet.

I'm using the Sparrow Beta with both MobileMe and Gmail at the moment. I'm absolutely sold. Since I don't really use any of the advanced Mail features, I can gloat in this lovely minimalism!

Geez.

$10 is 4 beer where I'm from (at a bar).

Honestly, we could do without the 4 weekday beers, and have a nice app that will last a lot longer. ;)

And at the same time allow the dev. to have a few :beer:

I need to go drink where you go... I only get one...maybe 2 but i'd say no more than 1.5 beer for $10

screenshot20110221at160.png

I suggest you take a harder look.

897241251.png

I suggest you take a harder look.

897241251.png

The Office 2007 and 2010 applications have a titlebar as well (apparently you have an extremely hard time understanding what a titlebar is) and if you're going to do a comparison be sure to include the Ribbon.

office2007.jpg

Office 2007 and 2010 applications have a titlebar as well (apparently you have an extremely hard time understanding what a titlebar is) and if you're going to do a comparison be sure to include the Ribbon.

Sparrow still has controls outside of the titlebar and no offence, you could not fit every office control in the titlebar.

Another app with no titlebar:

447844113.png

Sparrow still has controls outside of the titlebar and no offence, you could not fit every office control in the titlebar.

And the Office 2007 applications have controls outside the titlebar and ribbon, what's your point? You still seem confused as to what a titlebar is and what Apple's new design strategy for windows is. The App Store, iTunes and Sparrow don't put their controls inside the titlebar. They got rid of the titlebar and have a toolbar at the top of the window only. The window controls that normally exist in the titlebar have been moved down inside the toolbar.

Another with no titlebar:

That's by no means a regular window.

IE 9 doesn't have text in the titlebar for one reason - It can't fit it in, if you look hard enough, you'll see the Back button is in the titlebar.

IE 9 doesn't have text in the titlebar for one reason - It can't fit it in, if you look hard enough, you'll see the Back button is in the titlebar.

That doesn't change Internet Explorer 9 has a near-regular titlbar thickness that is largely being wasted away for the sake of having an abnormally large back button.

You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing at this point and you still don't seem to understand what I'm really talking about. So far nothing you brought up has much to do with my original post.

Not to mention the solution in both Reeder and Sparrow are much smaller yet.

In the case of Sparrow I don't really understand why it needs such an over-sized bottom bar though. They should scale it down to the Finder's or iTunes' bottom bar size, probably looks better too.

In the case of Sparrow I don't really understand why it needs such a over-sized bottom bar though. They should scale it down to the Finder's or iTunes' bottom bar size, probably looks better too.

Perhaps they thought it to be a symmetric look? I don't know, really. I would prefer a smaller bottom bar as well. :)

... and even with the title bar, OS X still wastes less space than Windows does.