Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

Difference is that Pixelmator offers you a demo version which you can try out and see for yourself if it fits your need or not. I already know three people who bought Sparrow only to find out it's severely lacking.

True, I did try the trial version on day one.

However, I know "Sparrow Lite" will be out soon and it’ll be free (with an ad I think). It has been submitted 1-2 weeks ago and it’s still up to Apple to publish it...

True, I did try the trial version on day one.

However, I know "Sparrow Lite" will be out soon and it’ll be free (with an ad I think). It has been submitted 1-2 weeks ago and it’s still up to Apple to publish it...

They should have had a demo version on their website since day one it appeared in the App Store or launch the lite version first/simultaneously. Period.

Because? I'm completely baffled by the fact they're selling software that lacks the most basic of features. Even worse part is that they're selling it without offering a demo version, which I find pretty immoral considering the severe lack of functionality. No, offense but I really feel what they're doing is wrong.

Do you think they're deceiving people? You may believe the product lacks features, and indeed isn't worth its price tag, but to consider that morally wrong is bizarre.

Do you think they're deceiving people? You may believe the product lacks features, and indeed isn't worth its price tag, but to consider that morally wrong is bizarre.

I don't think it's morally wrong to ask money for a product. I think it's morally wrong they don't warn people and don't offer a way to try before you buy. Simply because it lacks very basic functionality. It's not exactly a fair way of doing business in my opinion.

I don't think it's morally wrong to ask money for a product. I think it's morally wrong they don't warn people and don't offer a way to try before you buy. Simply because it lacks very basic functionality. It's not exactly a fair way of doing business in my opinion.

You think a fair way to do business is to list areas in which your product lacks?

You think a fair way to do business is to list areas in which your product lacks?

No to offer a demo version so people can judge for themselves like I told you, what, four times by now?

No to offer a demo version so people can judge for themselves like I told you, what, four times by now?

Then what did you mean by "warn people"? I concentrated on that point because that's the part I didn't understand.

Nonetheless, I don't see why you think not offering a free trial is morally wrong. I can see why it would be a little frustrating (as was I when I wanted to try it), but not morally wrong. I can think of countless purchases I've made recently where I couldn't try the product first. I consider a free trial a mechanism to attract new customers, not a moral obligation by the developer.

I already explained it to you: The application is lacking very basic features one would expect to be part of a mail client. Next to that it isn't exactly uncommon practice to provide a demo or trial.

I already explained it to you. The application is lacking very basic features one would expect to be part of a mail client. Next to that it isn't exactly uncommon practice to provide a demo or trial.

Your expectations are your own, and I don't see why your expectations make their current method of business 'wrong'. Choosing not to offer a demo version and to release a product that lacks features isn't morally wrong, just bad business. As I originally commented: I'm completely baffled by your stance, and now even more so, and I see no reasonable explanation.

Your expectations are your own, and I don't see why your expectations make their current method of business 'wrong'. Choosing not to offer a demo version and to release a product that lacks features isn't morally wrong, just bad business. As I originally commented: I'm completely baffled by your stance, and now even more so, and I see no reasonable explanation.

I gave you my explanation and if you don't understand, want to understand of agree with it that's your right. I'm not going to stay stuck in a loop with you where we both keep repeating the same thing over and over again, which is what's happing right now. I have my point of view and you have yours regarding the subject. :)

You can simply blame Apple for not implementing a decent way for apps to have a trial version without having to submit a separate app request for a "Lite" version. It's bogus rules and makes no sense, and frankly kind of lazy on Apple's part.

As for Sparrow, from my understanding this is their first Mac app (or app in general). I'd say you should cut them some slack. They're most likely learning about these things as they go along, so for you to bash them and the application simply because you're too bothered to read the description that clearly states the current and future feature statuses of the application, that's your own problem.

Once again, for the millionth time, the application was designed for Mail users who use Gmail as their primary email source. For those users (their current target market), this is a Mail alternative. Whether that applies to you or not does not make the application any less useful to their target market. They clearly have stated that broader feature sets will be coming soon, and at that time the app's target market will expand to include you.

I simply do not see why you're being so stubborn over some simple business logistics. You have a right to your own opinion, but you have basically refused to refrain from bashing the app at every passing moment.

You can simply blame Apple for not implementing a decent way for apps to have a trial version without having to submit a separate app request for a "Lite" version. It's bogus rules and makes no sense, and frankly kind of lazy on Apple's part.

Other developers (like Pixelmator) manage to put on a demo version on their websites just fine.

Once again, for the millionth time, the application was designed for Mail users who use Gmail as their primary email source. For those users (their current target market), this is a Mail alternative. Whether that applies to you or not does not make the application any less useful to their target market. They clearly have stated that broader feature sets will be coming soon, and at that time the app's target market will expand to include you.

What has that to do with not including basic functionality like Smart Folders and a Junk Mail filter? We're long past the fact Sparrow doesn't support regular IMAP and POP3 so I have no idea why you keep coming back to that. I also fail to see why I should give them some slack just because this is their first application. In that case just offer the thing for a few euros and up the price later when it's actually worth it. ;)

You have a right to your own opinion, but you have basically refused to refrain from bashing the app at every passing moment.

And for some reason you won't refrain from making excuses for the app every single time.

Guys - stop arguing, everyone agrees it's slacking some options, but it's a "Pretty app", it's a new type of app in which what it lacks in features it makes up in looks.

Guys - stop arguing, everyone agrees it's slacking some options, but it's a "Pretty app", it's a new type of app in which what it lacks in features it makes up in looks.

In the Mac world we call them the "Delicious Generation" of applications. It translates to: Great interface, almost no features, poor way of doing business. :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicious_Generation

I'm not making excuses. I don't have the app, nor do I plan on owning the app. My point is that it's your choice whether you want to buy it or not, but all you seem to be doing at every turn is trashing it which is just going to make others look at it more negatively even if it would be fine for their uses. Also, I did not bring up IMAP support again. I said their target market was Gmail users.

Anyway, hopefully they continue their development and make something for more end users. It makes no difference to me since I am a web interface kind of guy.

In the Mac world we call them the "Delicious Generation" of applications. It translates to: Great interface, almost no features, poor way of doing business. :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicious_Generation

But they sure do look sexy - sadly I see this as the future of App development for both Mac/Windows - but still, we can now dribble whilst we work.

• 4 weeks later...

So, 1.1 is released and with it comes general IMAP support among other things...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/sparrow-for-mac-finally-gets-general-imap-support-multitouch.ars

There's more to Sparrow 1.1 than just better IMAP support. The release also includes a few feature and UI enhancements. Sparrow now supports a number of multitouch gestures when using a trackpad for faster navigation of the message list and switching accounts. A new formatting bar aids in composing rich text e-mails. Sparrow also supports contact groups and Gmail's priority inbox, plus you can create a custom signature for every account.

Sparrow's message view now has an option for viewing Gmail's priority inbox, which can be set to only view unread mail in any account, making it easier to see what messages are new or haven't yet been dealt with in some way. A new "minimal" mode leaves out the message preview, too, showing only the sender and the subject. This makes it easier to view more messages in the the message list at once and scan for important items.

The release includes a revamped database under the hood which Leca said makes Sparrow "less CPU intensive and snappier," though we found the difference hard to notice on a new MacBook Air. A number of bug fixes are also included.

It needs POP3 now. Unfortunately, I still rely on my Hotmail account a lot.

But things look promising. When it gets it, I?m sure loads of people will switch. It?s very nice.

I still don?t know if I will end up using this or the new Mail in Lion. Both are very cool.

Having been in the beta, I can say they left a lot of issues with imap support open and unresolved. A lot of the testers were quite angry that they didn't see to some glaring problems before going to release. Sure it might have promise, but by the time they get it going the new Mail app will be here and will probably bring a very similar aesthetic.

I'm using the full version right now. Not sure if I'll stick with it when Lion comes out with its revamped Mail application, but for right now I'm liking it. My primary e-mail account is a GMail account, and my University recently switched to the GMail system, and since I'm such a heavy user of labels, it made a lot of sense for me. Now I have both of my accounts going through Sparrow, and I can easily attach tags and stars to my messages in a desktop application, which is pretty neat in my humble opinion.

It's definitely not for everyone, and depending on how you organize and think about your e-mail, this could be a really poor application for your specific needs. That said, for somebody like me who uses two GMail accounts and is a pretty heavy user of GMail's features, it's good. :)

Having been in the beta, I can say they left a lot of issues with imap support open and unresolved. A lot of the testers were quite angry that they didn't see to some glaring problems before going to release. Sure it might have promise, but by the time they get it going the new Mail app will be here and will probably bring a very similar aesthetic.

I hate to say "I told you so"...

I hate to say "I told you so"...

Wait until 1.3 before criticizing Sparrow again.

Every Mail application we know now had its version 1 back then with their lot of problems and now have years of development behind them.

Wait until 1.3 before criticizing Sparrow again.

Every Mail application we know now had its version 1 back then with their lot of problems and now have years of development behind them.

Before I had to wait until v1.1, because it was the release that would address all of criticism. Now v1.1 is released I have to wait until v1.3. I see a pattern developing here. Anyway, pretty much everything I expected to happen happened. :)

I see a pattern developing here. Anyway, pretty much everything I expected to happen happened. :)

You really have no faith at all in Sparrow, do you? Wait until it?s mature, seriously.

Here, I will leave you a few mature apps to criticize meanwhile : Adium, Disco, Microsoft Messenger, Handbrake, ... :)