Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

.Neo

You really have no faith at all in Sparrow, do you? Wait until it?s mature, seriously.

Here, I will leave you a few mature apps to criticize meanwhile : Adium, Disco, Microsoft Messenger, Handbrake, ... :)

You do realize Adium is only at version 1.4, Disco version 1.0.3 (hasn't seen active development after early 2008) and Handbrake at 0.9.5? What's your logic here?

• Like 1
OOOOOOOO

You do realize Adium is only at version 1.4, Disco version 1.0.3 (hasn't seen active development after early 2008) and Handbrake at 0.9.5? What's your logic here?

Version numbers mean nothing. Chome's an example of that.

Maturity of product and version number aren't related in reality.

• Like 1
.Neo

Version numbers mean nothing. Chome's an example of that.

Maturity of product and version number aren't related in reality.

Well, according to PyX I specifically have to wait until v1.3 so apparently he puts a lot of faith in version numbering. Obviously I know version numbers don't mean anything (Mac OS X is an example of that as well), I just found the list of "mature" applications he gave to me funny. Especially Disco which never made it past v1.0.3 (in that case the version number does says it all) and hasn't been updated in three years.

• Like 1
Xtreme $niper

I think his point is that you're pointlessly hating on a piece of software over and over again... You already made it known that you have no actual use for Sparrow and we all know you don't like it.

I think the real issue is that you seem to be trying to get everyone else to hate it too, for no reason. We get it. You don't like it... How about letting people discuss the program without hounding them for giving it a chance?

• Like 1
PyX

Well, according to PyX I specifically have to wait until v1.3 so apparently he puts a lot of faith in version numbering. Obviously I know version numbers don't mean anything (Mac OS X is an example of that as well), I just found the list of "mature" applications he gave to me funny. Especially Disco which never made it past v1.0.3 (in that case the version number does says it all) and hasn't been updated in three years.

I care about versions and the time intervals between them, not version numbers themselves.

Based on my quick prediction, if Sparrow 1.3 is released in September and STILL has problems after that, I will agree that it sucks. It gives plenty of time to developers to fix it.

It shows you have never worked on application or web development .Neo, or did you?

• Like 1
Lucas

If the new mail on Lion wasn't coming I'd probably consider purchasing this. :p

Xtreme $niper

People are hyping up the new Mail, but we know almost nothing about it except that it has a UI change and support for threaded conversations... I need more info before jumping on the bandwagon.

.Neo

People are hyping up the new Mail, but we know almost nothing about it except that it has a UI change and support for threaded conversations... I need more info before jumping on the bandwagon.

"We"? I've been using Mail 5 intensively for two weeks. If you can give it a shot, I definitely would by installing Mac OS X Lion DP1 or maybe you know someone with access to the beta. :)

It shows you have never worked on application or web development .Neo, or did you?

Actually I have. After the whole discussion we had about the Xcode update process I think you're about the last one to judge really.

PyX

Actually I have. After the whole discussion we had about the Xcode update process I think you're about the last one to judge really.

Based on your whole discussion about Sparrow, you would waste about 2 years of part-time coding with a friend to develop the perfect top-notch and state-of-the-art Mail application + promoting website before making a single cent, and before knowing if your product is a hit or miss. Maybe you need to rethink this for a bit.

Lunfai

Based on your whole discussion about Sparrow, you would waste about 2 years of part-time coding with a friend to develop the perfect top-notch and state-of-the-art Mail application + promoting website before making a single cent, and before knowing if your product is a hit or miss. Maybe you need to rethink this for a bit.

I think Sparrow is BEAUTIFULLY designed, I can't express how much I like the user interface design, and the simpleness in the application proves a winner to me. It's very simple to set up, and the learning curve isn't too astray compared to some email clients I've used in the past. Everything was just THERE!, and could be setup within minutes after installation. I'm still wondering what else they're going to add in the future.

For some reason, I think the minimal mode, is too wide. I'm sure the email preview could be collapsed a little further to create a more sleeker model. But then again, that's probably a personal preference. I'll give it a 4/5, because it was quite expensive, ?5.99, I wouldn't of mind paying a fiver though, but I'm sure it's worth it's money for the price I've paid, now that I've jumped ship.

.Neo

Apparently you never heard of the concept open-source software. Does "Transmission" ring a bell?

rafaqueque

I've been using Sparrow Lite like for an hour and when I have my inbox empty, the app keeps refreshing like a dozen times per second and wel.. it's really annoying. It was the main reason to go back to gmail.com.

.Neo

I've been using Sparrow Lite like for an hour and when I have my inbox empty, the app keeps refreshing like a dozen times per second and wel.. it's really annoying. It was the main reason to go back to gmail.com.

Isn't the light version still at 1.0.x instead of 1.1?

PyX

Does Adium ring a bell to you? Did it support everything on day 1? And now?

And how much do you gain with open source?

.Neo

Does Adium ring a bell to you? Did it support everything on day 1? And now?

And how much do you gain with open source?

I don't need to gain anything by helping out in software development. It's a hobby. You should be grateful otherwise you wouldn't have access to one of the best torrent clients on the platform for free. Beyond that there's always such a thing as testing your software before putting a price on it. A fair share of currently paid software titles started off being free because they were unstable, lacking in features and/or extremely buggy. In the case of Sparrow it would have been the most decent thing to do. Of course they finally put up a "lite" version, so all the issues I had with Sparrow are over and done now as far as I'm concerned.

Beyond that you don't seem to have a very positive attitude towards Adium so I have no idea why you're bringing that up.

PyX

I don't need to gain anything by helping out in software development. It's a hobby. You should be grateful otherwise you wouldn't have access to one of the best torrent clients on the platform for free. Beyond that there's always such a thing as testing your software before putting a price on it. A fair share of currently paid software titles started off being free because they were unstable, lacking in features and/or extremely buggy. In the case of Sparrow it would have been the most decent thing to do. Of course they finally put up a "lite" version, so all the issues I had with Sparrow are over and done now as far as I'm concerned.

Beyond that you don't seem to have a very positive attitude towards Adium so I have no idea why you're bringing that up.

It?s not that I don?t have a positive attitude towards Adium, it?s bcause you?re pointing me out Transmission, an open source project that works flawlessly in my book. I brought one up to show you that it?s not always greener on such terrain.

I understand what you mean by programming being "a hobby", but we?re living in a world of glory and money also known as capitalism and I can understand that at some point, when you become a great coder and can do wonderful things, it?s great that you also get a little bit of money to reward all this work.

It?s true that it lacked a free version at first and I totally agree with that. But you seemed to say it was the worst application in the world, etc. when it was a work in progress in fact (even at version 1.0). Anyways, I?m glad the Lite version fixed your main concern about it.

.Neo

It?s not that I don?t have a positive attitude towards Adium, it?s bcause you?re pointing me out Transmission, an open source project that works flawlessly in my book. I brought one up to show you that it?s not always greener on such terrain.

You're missing my point entirely. I'm not saying the grass is greener over there, I'm saying at least it's free instead of paying for a product that is of subpar quality when looking beyond its "Delicious" interface.

I understand what you mean by programming being "a hobby", but we?re living in a world of glory and money also known as capitalism and I can understand that at some point, when you become a great coder and can do wonderful things, it?s great that you also get a little bit of money to reward all this work.

And you're fully entitled to ask money for software. That is if it works properly, has a proper feature set upon release and isn't filled with apparently fairly severe bugs without giving so much as the ability for people to test the product in advance. However, again, this was my issue with Sparrow before they released the free light version. Now at least potential buyers can see for themselves how the application performs before making the purchase.

It?s true that it lacked a free version at first and I totally agree with that. But you seemed to say it was the worst application in the world, etc. when it was a work in progress in fact (even at version 1.0). Anyways, I?m glad the Lite version fixed your main concern about it.

While I never said Sparrow is the worst application in the world, I think the developers are one of the worst for allowing customers to buy beta software without giving them the ability to demo it first. The latter has been resolved now, so I guess that's something...

Timan

App store has made me so cheap, I'm afraid to buy apps incase they go on sale now. So hope he does a weekend deal or something for 4.99 etc.

.Neo

App store has made me so cheap, I'm afraid to buy apps incase they go on sale now. So hope he does a weekend deal or something for 4.99 etc.

:laugh:

Bloodwork

Almost purchased this but .Neo's good talk of Mail 5 is going to make me wait to test it out first.

.Neo

Almost purchased this but .Neo's good talk of Mail 5 is going to make me wait to test it out first.

Yeah give it a shot, you can always purchase Sparrow at a later time if Mail 5 doesn't suit you. :) Perhaps by that time Sparrow has matured a little bit more as well. It's a win-win situation if you plan on upgrading to Mac OS X Lion anyway.

Refinements include:

? iPad view. Messages and content are stacked horizontally rather than vertically to make better use of your widescreen display.

? Much improved threaded view: When selecting a thread all messages are numbered and displayed in the content area.

? Hide the sidebar and have a favorites bar for your mailboxes instead (reduces UI clutter). Similar to Safari's bookmarks bar.

? You can hide both the sidebar and favorites bar at the same time for a minimal look. The sidebar icons are grey now.

? Search suggestions similar to Safari's search suggestions based on subjects.

? Full screen view.

? Delete / Reply / Reply All / Forward buttons inside the content area upon mouse-over.

? Junk Mail seems to work better.

? Overall Mac OS X Lion's new Aqua look gives Mail a much cleaner appearance than on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

? New smooth window animations when replying and sending messages (doesn't add functionality, but cool nonetheless)

Overall Mail 5 has a very modern look to it compared to Mail 4. In the current Developer Preview the option also exists to revert most of the layout changes back to Mail 4's appearance, in case you would want to.

PyX

Will the revert feature even stay? Imagine if they included such feature for every app that gets a GUI overhaul, that would be bloat for real. At this point I really don't know why someone would want Mail 4's look over Mail 5. Most email clients have this 3 columns look now, except that compared to a few other email clients (Thunderbird, Outlook), Mail 5's new look is absoltely stunning.

All it lacks is a nice and simple formatting bar... Like Sparrow :p Plus I believe Apple could universalize this across the entire OS, rather than their Fonts pane...

.Neo

kvaughan, in case you're interested I made some screen shots for you:

Column view

screenshot20110328at101.png

Search suggestions

screenshot20110328at101r.png

Improved thread view

Compose email window

Imagine if they included such feature for every app that gets a GUI overhaul, that would be bloat for real.

Yeah adding one extra checkbox in Preferences sure makes Mail 5, or any application for that matter, bloated... What the hell is Apple thinking?!

PyX

Yeah adding one extra checkbox in Preferences sure makes Mail 5, or any application for that matter, bloated... What the hell is Apple thinking?!

The checkbox? No. All the extra coding necessary for this, yes. Actually this has me more concerned by Mail?s developers than by the users.

If, for every single application, we had a checkbox to revert to the old style interface, they would never be done with it. Plus, if we have it for one specific application only, doesn?t it break the OS? consistency a bit ?

Why not add a checkbox in System Preferences to reenable Snow Leopard?s Aqua elements, while we?re at it?

OOOOOOOO

Sparrow is beautiful and works 100% perfectly for my needs ...

but Mail 5 is slick and I will be moving to it when I get the final release of Lion :)