Dear Windows 7, what a long strange trip it's been

Today, I've decided I'm going to ditch Windows 7. I've been using it since the betas and since it was released now, and I never really got accustomed to it. Just the new style of everything, the endless random glitches, the fact that everyone uses it now, it being installed on all school pc's, all little annoying things to me.

I've backed up all my stuff to one of my other HDD's, and am ready to wipe Windows 7 away from my life at home!

"So, what will you be using then?" I hear you ask... Well, I'm going back to Windows Vista! Oh, how I've missed that lovely black taskbar, the subtle 1px light blue line on window borders, the boot screen, the tray area, the wallpapers, the everything!

Yes, you heard me right, Windows Vista! It's a great OS if you know how to use it and if you have proper drivers for everything. I've never had problems with it, and with SP2 and the Platform Update it should be just as good, if not better than 7! That, and I still have my (legal) Ultimate keys lying around, so no activation hassle, nothing!

I'll keep you all updated on how it's going while I'm redownloading the ISO overnight over MSDN!

Good night!

- A happy and excited Ambroos

UPDATE (since nobody seems to read my other posts in this topic):

I've gone back to 7 already. Missed too many things!

Shocking! Really if you had problems with 7 just try and fix them. 7 is really more stable and nicer than Vista. And you could make the taskbar small in 7 (And make it look like Vista's) , the boot screen is better, and the wallpapers you could just get online. But goodluck on going with Vista, at least you're not going back to XP.

Today, I've decided I'm going to ditch Windows 7. I've been using it since the betas and since it was released now, and I never really got accustomed to it. Just the new style of everything, the endless random glitches, the fact that everyone uses it now, it being installed on all school pc's, all little annoying things to me.

I've backed up all my stuff to one of my other HDD's, and am ready to wipe Windows 7 away from my life at home!

"So, what will you be using then?" I hear you ask... Well, I'm going back to Windows Vista! Oh, how I've missed that lovely black taskbar, the subtle 1px light blue line on window borders, the boot screen, the tray area, the wallpapers, the everything!

Yes, you heard me right, Windows Vista! It's a great OS if you know how to use it and if you have proper drivers for everything. I've never had problems with it, and with SP2 and the Platform Update it should be just as good, if not better than 7! That, and I still have my (legal) Ultimate keys lying around, so no activation hassle, nothing!

I'll keep you all updated on how it's going while I'm redownloading the ISO overnight over MSDN!

Good night!

- A happy and excited Ambroos

Uh... I don't understand what the problem is here? You'd prefer the slowness?

The thing here is.. Windows 7 is a more mature version of Vista. I'm not sure exactly what issues the OP is talking about, since the UI stuff can be pretty much changed. And I've not seen any of these "glitches'.. Leads me to believe the OP has hardware issues, or 3rd party driver problems...

Fail post

"Yes, you heard me right, Windows Vista! It's a great OS if you know how to use it and if you have proper drivers for everything."

How can you say that about Vista, and in the same breath contradict yourself by saying Windows 7 has problems ?

Windows Vista / SP1 / SP2 has problems that even MS admit to,

Windows 7 does not "If you know how to use it and if you have the proper drivers for everything"

Vista SP1 / SP2 is about as fast as 7 on a good machine lol.

False, I can testify to the fact that I get 1/3 more FPS when gaming out of Windows 7 on my top of the line rig.

No chance, and even worse on lower end machines

Vista basic SP1 was installed on my laptop the day I bought it - I dont know how they dared ship it with that OS installed, it was literally unusable even with all the HP crap uninstalled, within 10 minutes, I wiped it, put Windows 7 Ultimate on it, and it became a normal machine

I've always thought the UI of Windows 7 is much more polished and evolved than Vista's. I can't see how anyone would prefer Vista to 7. Having used Windows 7 RTM for just over a year now, I could never go back to Vista.

No, it isn't.

It isn't.

No chance, and even worse on lower end machines

Vista basic SP1 was installed on my laptop the day I bought it - I dont know how they dared ship it with that OS installed, it was literally unusable even with all the HP crap uninstalled, within 10 minutes, I wiped it, put Windows 7 Ultimate on it, and it became a normal machine

Vista basic? Really?

I've used both Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate on my computers, and I can't really tell that much of a difference. And it's even less noticeable with SP2.

You all missed his real reason for not using it anymore, it's because "the fact that everyone uses it now" is somehow annoying. :rolleyes:

Must be a goth.. you know the ones who are not following a trend... are their own person / style / fashion... yet somehow all look identical

Personally I love Vista more than 7. I have Vista on my desktop at home and 7 on my laptop at school and I miss how the taskbar used to be. Everything now takes a click or two to get to on the taskbar and sometimes some programs that are pinned on the taskbar, open up with another icon making the other one just a shortcut *looks at iTunes*.

Not really complaining as they are both great OS's, but go with what you love. :)

Your choice.

But I've found the DWM in Vista to be a bit unstable. I used to have to restart the service to fix random animation slowdowns in the UI. I can't remember doing that ever for Windows 7. (also coupled with the change in WDDM 1.1 drivers to allow window contents to be kept in VRAM instead of duplicating a copy in system RAM, plus several other tweaks documented here)

2d848yo.png

294hwsz.png

Like I said...ALMOST as fast, not EXACTLY as fast. Real world difference? Almost un-noticable unless you're one of those people who just bash vista because it was the "cool thing to do"

Vista was a necessary step to reach Windows 7, nothing more

The only fond memories I have of that OS was the leaks... it was a giant step (up/down) from XP, and because of the Aero GUI it was all very exciting - but once it RTM'd it was all downhill from there

Absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, it was, and is, a very solid operating system. Its only problem was undue and misguided media attention - the mojave project kind of showed how stupid most of the Vista hating was. It would be preferable to use 7 if you can, it's got a couple more features and so on, but if you have to use Vista, don't feel too bad. It's great.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, it was, and is, a very solid operating system. Its only problem was undue and misguided media attention - the mojave project kind of showed how stupid most of the Vista hating was. It would be preferable to use 7 if you can, it's got a couple more features and so on, but if you have to use Vista, don't feel too bad. It's great.

No, Vista was horrible for a lot of people when it first came out. It's matured a TON since then, so it's not bad to use now. The thing is the OP isn't being forced to use Vista, he's reverting back to it due to some un-named issues, and the fact everyone is using it so it annoys him.

Erm no...

Personal experience and severe misery was its major problem to me

I dont think people in here are going to be discussing how bad an OS was only from hear-say of the media -

Vista basic? Really?

I've used both Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate on my computers, and I can't really tell that much of a difference. And it's even less noticeable with SP2.

His comparison is indeed flawed as a vanilla OS install is usually snappier than OEM installs, so obviously a fresh install of Ultimate or any edition will beat a OEM installation of Home Basic with all its preloaded software. (edit: ignore, he did uninstall the bloatware) Today's bloatware installs on cheap laptops you get at say Best Buy aren't that much better than 2 years ago. It's good that Windows 7 is continuing to picking up ground despite that store demo machines still display a big "Norton Antivirus not activated" message plastered across the screen.

But besides that, Ultimate is less of a necessity these days, and not just because of the removal of Ultimate Extras. It really only existed for the enthusiast customers because of the lack of Remote Desktop in Home Premium and the lack of Media Center in Business. Now with Professional filling in the void, those days are thankfully gone. With respect to the MUI Language Packs, for students they can get a MUI pack via MSDNAA in addition to copies of Windows 7 Professional.

Hm. Lots of replies already. I don't really know why exactly I'm reverting, it might just be nostalgia, but at this moment it feels right to go back to Vista.

What I never liked about 7: Libraries, the new tray, the overall brightness of everything, and the superbar that I have been using since the leaked beta builds had it. I just don't feel like I'm using my Pc as efficient as I could with Vista, almost as if 7 is trying to dumb me down.

And about the part that 'everyone uses 7 now': I'm not a goth. I guess I wanted to say that the greatest noobs in the world are using 7 and bashing Vista without having used it even once. Most people know I'm a Pc pro, and by using Windows Vista I'm trying to make a statement. But I still don't like using the standard thing, and with the current lack of Windows betas, Vista is suddenly very tempting.

And before everyone starts about tweaking 7 to behave like Vista: it doesn't feel the same in my mind. That, and for me it's just much easier and faster to install Vista :)

(And this must have been the longest thing I ever typed from my mobile phone using the number keys...)