Dear Windows 7, what a long strange trip it's been

Hm. Lots of replies already. I don't really know why exactly I'm reverting, it might just be nostalgia, but at this moment it feels right to go back to Vista.

What I never liked about 7: Libraries, the new tray, the overall brightness of everything, and the superbar that I have been using since the leaked beta builds had it. I just don't feel like I'm using my Pc as efficient as I could with Vista, almost as if 7 is trying to dumb me down.

And about the part that 'everyone uses 7 now': I'm not a goth. I guess I wanted to say that the greatest noobs in the world are using 7 and bashing Vista without having used it even once. Most people know I'm a Pc pro, and by using Windows Vista I'm trying to make a statement. But I still don't like using the standard thing, and with the current lack of Windows betas, Vista is suddenly very tempting.

And before everyone starts about tweaking 7 to behave like Vista: it doesn't feel the same in my mind. That, and for me it's just much easier and faster to install Vista :)

(And this must have been the longest thing I ever typed from my mobile phone using the number keys...)

I know what you mean about nostalgia... occasionally it fools me into wanting to install other older OS's

I have VMWare for those moments, to remind me why I left them behind in the first place

I say once you are back with Vista, you will see just how much better 7 really is and want to reinstall it again

Absolutely nothing wrong with Vista, it was, and is, a very solid operating system. Its only problem was undue and misguided media attention - the mojave project kind of showed how stupid most of the Vista hating was. It would be preferable to use 7 if you can, it's got a couple more features and so on, but if you have to use Vista, don't feel too bad. It's great.

Vista RTM(Issues like copy/Paste) was not a solid OS but Vista sp2 is a solid OS. Media was true and i realized it after using 7

Dont you think the UAC was a bit annoying in Vista???

I'll see tomorrow! I'm open for discussion and if Vista turns out to be evil I will probably instantly revert to 7 again.

About VMWare: that ain't really 'using' an OS eh...

And about UAC: I liked it, made me feel in control. The default setting on 7 is a bit random in my opinion.

Never had much trouble with Vista, but that's because I was a latecomer to it when it had proper driver support and such.

Windows 7 actually feels a lot snappier to me than Vista. I like the wireless network system tray popup. I used a laptop with Vista lately and was clicking on it and forgot that such a feature didn't exist on that OS!

Some things I can agree on like having to jump through hoops just to get to a certain window just for the sake of organization, but there's always the option to prevent stacking of the windows in the superbar.

Sorry to hear your experiences weren't so great with Windows 7. Use whatever is comfortable for you. :yes:

I'll see tomorrow! I'm open for discussion and if Vista turns out to be evil I will probably instantly revert to 7 again.

About VMWare: that ain't really 'using' an OS eh...

And about UAC: I liked it, made me feel in control. The default setting on 7 is a bit random in my opinion.

Everything apart from the graphics is just like using an OS if you give it enough resources - but its really just to remind you, and get the idea out of your head that it is somehow going to be amazing this time round, when it was not the last time

do not go back to windows vista it will be a mistake on your part. just keep using windows 7 and get used to the little things it offers cause i find myself doing things faster in 7 then i did in windows vista . plus windows 7 is far more aware of your hardware then vista is when it comes ot multi-core usage and better ram management

Vista RTM(Issues like copy/Paste) was not a solid OS but Vista sp2 is a solid OS. Media was true and i realized it after using 7

The copy paste / file transfer issue was fixed with 2 performance and reliability patches released within the first 2 weeks of Vista RTMing. So please..

At least the OP isn't moving to XP. I did a similar thing when XP came out, downgraded as fast as I could to 2000. XP was a load of crap. Windows 2000 + Linux OpenSuse. Now its just plain old Windows 7, mainly thanks to Vista since that got me to upgrade/replace Windows 2000.

This is quite a strange desire... but, at least it's Vista, a 3 year old OS with many of the improvements 7 came with as well... and not ancient old XP. I'm assuming this machine had Vista installed previously, and that your previous use of Vista WASN'T on another machine altogether? If it was on another machine, then buying another license just to downgrade from 7 to Vista again would just make this even weirder... oO

Actually, is Vista still being sold anyways? Since 7 is basically Vista 2.0, would MS have any reason to have that still on the shelves anyways?

Everything apart from the graphics is just like using an OS if you give it enough resources - but its really just to remind you, and get the idea out of your head that it is somehow going to be amazing this time round, when it was not the last time

Thing is, Vista actually WAS amazing for me last time. As I remember it, I just stopped using it because usable 7 beta's leaked and I started using them since they were newer. Oh well, just checked the ISO, burned it, now school first, then it's install-time ^^ !

And at the /care-people: hey, it's a forum, if it doesn't interest you don't read it.

He's going to do what he's going to do no matter what we say, you realize. He already wiped his drive and started installing Vista before we got a chance to say anything. He just did this for attention. No offense, but seriously.

Please tell me you did a clean install of Windows 7 RTM and didn't use the unofficial hacks to upgrade from beta versions. No? I thought so. There's your problem. Just do a clean install of Windows 7 and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Most of the problems people have with service packs and newer versions of Windows is from upgrades. Microsoft recommends doing a clean install every time. However, they make more money marketing upgrades.

He's going to do what he's going to do no matter what we say, you realize. He already wiped his drive and started installing Vista before we got a chance to say anything. He just did this for attention. No offense, but seriously.

Please tell me you did a clean install of Windows 7 RTM and didn't use the unofficial hacks to upgrade from beta versions. No? I thought so. There's your problem. Just do a clean install of Windows 7 and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Most of the problems people have with service packs and newer versions of Windows is from upgrades. Microsoft recommends doing a clean install every time. However, they make more money marketing upgrades.

I have never ever even tried upgrading Windows, always done clean installs.

I have never ever even tried upgrading Windows, always done clean installs.

well then why is it your having all these issues with windows 7 i mean going back to vista you will be giving up alot of stuff alot of features an the stuff that makes windows 7 so damn much faster then windows vista

I had a laptop with Vista on it and it was about due to disposed of as it was unusably slow and painful, I put windows 7 on it when it came out and suddenly it was like a new laptop, even after I reinstalled some of the horrible applications that came for the laptop.

I would give it a thumbs up on speed for that alone.

My dad likes Vista though, not sure why as I really never did get on with it

As long as you weren't running ancient crap and vendors updated their software then you wouldn't have a problem.

and sometimes some programs that are pinned on the taskbar, open up with another icon making the other one just a shortcut *looks at iTunes*.

Are you using an old version of iTunes? The current one doesn't have that problem anymore (and hasn't for a while).

The copy paste / file transfer issue was fixedimproved with 2 performance and reliability patches released within the first 2 weeks of Vista RTMing. So please..

Fixed that for you. I have a Vista machine and a 7 machine sitting side by side here (and roughly the same performance) and I can tell you that the copy/paste performance in Vista is still far below that of 7. It still spends far too much time "calculating" and not enough time actually doing what it is supposed to be doing (copying the files). Performance was improved by those patches, but it was far from being fixed.

Thing is, Vista actually WAS amazing for me last time. As I remember it, I just stopped using it because usable 7 beta's leaked and I started using them since they were newer. Oh well, just checked the ISO, burned it, now school first, then it's install-time ^^ !

And at the /care-people: hey, it's a forum, if it doesn't interest you don't read it.

Funny what your memory does to you :p

Put it like this, If Vista was really as good as all that - MS would have stuck with Vista.. but they didn't, they admitted their mistakes and fixed them, the result... Windows 7

Windows 7 is Windows Vista with the mistakes repaired, the bugs removed, the interface improved, the stability as it should have been.

You "are" downgrading by re-installing Vista... you would be better off reinstalling XP than Vista