Dear Windows 7, what a long strange trip it's been

You will be back!

LOL

I've been using vista for about three months after switching from xp, by the end of the period it got annoyingly slow. Switched to 7RC and never looked back.

Sounds like someone just wants a little change, just set yourself up with a new theme and background that's what I do, I get bored of the look sometimes and I just need a little change.

Oh dear, you do know you can change Windows 7 to act like Windows Vista?

I hate the superbar, i dont need Microsoft to tell me how they think i should be using my PC so ive re-enabled quicklaunch and set it so the taskbar buttons never combine.

Funny what your memory does to you :p

Put it like this, If Vista was really as good as all that - MS would have stuck with Vista.. but they didn't, they admitted their mistakes and fixed them, the result... Windows 7

Windows 7 is Windows Vista with the mistakes repaired, the bugs removed, the interface improved, the stability as it should have been.

You "are" downgrading by re-installing Vista... you would be better off reinstalling XP than Vista

Downgrading feature wise: true. On my home system, there was little difference performance wise between Vista SP2 and 7 RTM.

Fixed that for you. I have a Vista machine and a 7 machine sitting side by side here (and roughly the same performance) and I can tell you that the copy/paste performance in Vista is still far below that of 7. It still spends far too much time "calculating" and not enough time actually doing what it is supposed to be doing (copying the files). Performance was improved by those patches, but it was far from being fixed.

And it was further improved with SP1 and SP2. So no its no longer "far below that of 7"

With SP2 its almost identical to 7 when running on a relatively modern computer, read: not one from 2000.

Personally I love Vista more than 7. I have Vista on my desktop at home and 7 on my laptop at school and I miss how the taskbar used to be. Everything now takes a click or two to get to on the taskbar and sometimes some programs that are pinned on the taskbar, open up with another icon making the other one just a shortcut *looks at iTunes*.

Not really complaining as they are both great OS's, but go with what you love. :)

Dunno if anyone else responded to you already, but simple hint here I picked up on real quick:

Run the program. Right click its icon on the superbar and pin THAT. Don't pin from the Start menu, or you'll see the weird double-icon issue. Shake your fist at the program's developers, not Windows, for using unconventional shortcuts in the Start menu.

And it was further improved with SP1 and SP2. So no its no longer "far below that of 7"

With SP2 its almost identical to 7 when running on a relatively modern computer, read: not one from 2000.

I have the two machines I described sitting next to each other, so don't try to convince me that I'm not seeing a huge difference between the two. Both of these machines are from late 2005 or early 2006. Both have 2.5GB of RAM and 64-bit processors. The one running Vista even has a 3 drive RAID-0 array while the one running 7 has a single large hard drive. The one running 7 wipes the floor with the Vista one when it comes to copying files (either locally or over the network).

I have the two machines I described sitting next to each other, so don't try to convince me that I'm not seeing a huge difference between the two. Both of these machines are from late 2005 or early 2006. Both have 2.5GB of RAM and 64-bit processors. The one running Vista even has a 3 drive RAID-0 array while the one running 7 has a single large hard drive. The one running 7 wipes the floor with the Vista one when it comes to copying files (either locally or over the network).

And I have 2 IDENTICAL laptops, both Dell Vostros (2.4ghz core 2 duos, 4gb ram (with the exact same timings), 8600m gt 256mb, and both have 250gb hardrives at 7200). Both were purchased in 2008, and the only difference is ones is 15in and the other 17in. One is still on Vista Ultimate x64 (all latest updates) and one is on Windows 7 x64 (all installed updates).

In an ideal world both will be on 7, but I only have one license so didn't feel the need to buy another. So yeh please go on.

What`s with everyone badgering the lad, he`s only young (well still attends school anyway, could be a mature student) and therefore impetuous and likes the thrills and spills of installing and using a different OS. Boredom sets in a lot quicker when you`re younger...

It`s his computer let him do with it what he want`s, i`m sure he will come to his own conclusion :cool:

No offense meant Ambroos, sounds like you`ll do what you wan`t no matter what anyone says, i`m sure Windows 8 Beta will be along soon :)

Vista got a lot of bad press, and deservedly so, but now it's a solid OS. Yes, it is a bit "heavy", and on it's release you needed a fairly decent PC to run it smoothly. But let's not forget that the same criticism was levelled at XP when it was first released. 7 built on Vista's foundations, and IMO is better in many subtle ways, but Vista isn't bad by any means. If it works for you, I couldn't easily find many reasons to persuade you to upgrade.

I noticed that vista ultimate has more thing then windows 7 ultimate has, the dreamscape thing(different name though) bonus game and some other things, they have not included these thing into windows 7 yet

• Like 1

Hm, turns out all of you were right. There are nice things in Vista (the really dark and slim taskbar makes my screen feel a lot bigger), but I'm missing a lot of stuff from Windows 7 aswell, like Aero Snap. So I'm installing a clean 7 again! Most of my 7 issues were probably just random things that happen when you don't reinstall for almost a year.

I don't really know, it's pretty much a double feeling. Windows 7 almost feels too easy :s

Hm, turns out all of you were right. There are nice things in Vista (the really dark and slim taskbar makes my screen feel a lot bigger), but I'm missing a lot of stuff from Windows 7 aswell, like Aero Snap. So I'm installing a clean 7 again! Most of my 7 issues were probably just random things that happen when you don't reinstall for almost a year.

I don't really know, it's pretty much a double feeling. Windows 7 almost feels too easy :s

I have had my 7 installation up and running since July 2009. And to this day, it still continues to fly along, and behave just fine. I'd say personally that the likelihood is that there was something specific causing your issues, if you continue to receive them looking through the event log is usually a good idea. Never had that kind of stability with XP, and even Vista started to act flaky after being installed for that long.

Personally I have found 7 to be the most complete, stable, and easy to use version of Windows that Microsoft have ever produced. On any hardware capable of running it, I personally wouldn't want to use anything else.

I am glad you came back real soon. :rolleyes:

FAIL! EPIC FAILZ! :p

Windows Vista is a solid operating system that is modern and well supported by today's technology, but that's all... You can depend on it but you can't hope it goes out of it's way and does everything much faster for you. You also can't expect it squeeze every last drop of power out of your hardware. Windows 7's job was to deliver more than expected and be packed with features and to carry on the solid operating system tradition.

Windows XP is an ancient operating system that takes the least advantage out of your hardware and is the most unsecure operating system since it is the main target for most malware today. Which is why I recommend you Windows 7, or Windows Vista at the very least. Windows XP don't get at all! ;)

the really dark and slim taskbar makes my screen feel a lot bigger

You do know you can make the 7 taskbar slim and turn the color scheme dark right...

Look:

post-48603-12869116853137.png

Vista been solid since SP1 and hardware manufactures had time to make proper drivers.

It's a reliable OS now.

Microsoft indicated (unless they change there mind) it will get DX11.

Won't get WMP 12 which is better then WMP 11 imho.

Will get IE 9 when it released, but probably not IE 10 which 7 will likely get.

It will be support from a few more years with updates.

I miss the ability under "games" to make custom shortcuts, and the network notification activity lights (use 3rd party to get that back).