Dear Windows 7, what a long strange trip it's been

Thats it - I'm tired of this - I'm downgrading to Dos 6.0 right now.....

Can't wait to play Zork on my Alienware M17X....

-----

Seriously though - I at first bounced between Win 7 RTM and Vista SP2 and settled for Win7....Games are better, multimedia as a whole is better and so are the drivers for my "stuff"....

Thats it - I'm tired of this - I'm downgrading to Dos 6.0 right now.....

Can't wait to play Zork on my Alienware M17X....

-----

Seriously though - I at first bounced between Win 7 RTM and Vista SP2 and settled for Win7....Games are better, multimedia as a whole is better and so are the drivers for my "stuff"....

Can I also suggest Doom 2 and Quake, awesome games if you are going to DOS :laugh:

Can I also suggest Doom 2 and Quake, awesome games if you are going to DOS :laugh:

cough: DosBox

I releaised my PC could NOT even Run Vista X64

3.4Quad

8GIG DDR2

Crossfire 5770 x2

Dedicated Nvidia 8800GTS PhysX

Vista WDDM 1.0 dose not alowe your pc to run 2 diffrent cards from 2 diffrent manfactures. Even in the Sp update they never added WDDM 1.1 that Win 7 has. Aero Snap is deffentl a feature thats hard to give up.

SuperBar (IS TaskBar) is another hard to let go feature.

Its ironic though that if I wanted to I could DownGrade to windows XP x64 and have all my hardware running. It was kinda of a dumb move for MS to not add multi Cross videocard support in Vista

I find it very annoying that one of your reasons for moving to Vista is because too many people use Windows 7. I suspect this is probably your main reason since none of the other reasons make any sense.

wtf... 7 is vista perfected, but it's your choice, hope you will be happy with it:)

Vista WDDM 1.0 dose not alowe your pc to run 2 diffrent cards from 2 diffrent manfactures. Even in the Sp update they never added WDDM 1.1 that Win 7 has. Aero Snap is deffentl a feature thats hard to give up.

SuperBar (IS TaskBar) is another hard to let go feature.

Its ironic though that if I wanted to I could DownGrade to windows XP x64 and have all my hardware running. It was kinda of a dumb move for MS to not add multi Cross videocard support in Vista

The platform upgrade added WDDM 1.1 I believe, but you'll require SP2 to install it.

Hilarious.

There's benchmarks on the previous page.

This almost makes as much sense as saying:

I'll take the 2006 Honda Civic vs taking the 2010.

(slaps forehead)

With this backward mentality we'll be driving Flintstones cars in no time!

Hm, turns out all of you were right. There are nice things in Vista (the really dark and slim taskbar makes my screen feel a lot bigger), but I'm missing a lot of stuff from Windows 7 aswell, like Aero Snap. So I'm installing a clean 7 again! Most of my 7 issues were probably just random things that happen when you don't reinstall for almost a year.

I don't really know, it's pretty much a double feeling. Windows 7 almost feels too easy :s

You people obviously read only the title / first post and didn't see the above posted on the previous page.

You people obviously read only the title / first post and didn't see the above posted on the previous page.

(snipped)

He doesn't want Linux, read the OP. And FYI, you don't need to format every 6 months to keep it in order. Have you even used Windows since XP? For me 7 satisfies all of your conditions.

Edited by rm20010

Ubuntu doesn't run Office 2010, and I happen to need that a lot :)

I'm happy with this lovely clean Windows 7 right now. Think I just messed around with other random messy beta stuff a little too much with my previous install. Just this new Messenger is ruining my joy. It's full of ads without Apatch, and Apatch completley breaks Superbar support.

So, this thread can basically be locked (or deleted, kinda feel stupid now).

He doesn't want Linux, read the OP. And FYI, you don't need to format every 6 months to keep it in order. Have you even used Windows since XP? For me 7 satisfies all of your conditions.

Ok, but what this has to do with my post :rofl: I was just pointing out that people were replying without reading the thread.

This makes no sense. Windows 7 is so much better than Vista, and you can customize it to look exactly the same if you wish.

(snipped)

Now that's a load of horse manure.

Edited by rm20010

(snipped)

For many people Ubuntu is simply not an option because applications suites like Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite have no viable counterparts on the platform. And no, OpenOffice and Gimp really don't compare.

Edited by rm20010

Hilarious.

To be fair, outside of superficial differences, there aren't many under the hood changes between Vista & 7 that would greatly effect performance on high performance machines. 7 is not a magical upgrade over Vista that most people take it for, it is just a polished version of Vista, except this time, typical consumer hardware is up to scratch to actually run it, and manufacturers have finally made drivers that are decently stable enough.

Ok, but what this has to do with my post :rofl: I was just pointing out that people were replying without reading the thread.

I wasn't directing it at you :), just using your quote to emphasise that people don't read :)

In all fairness,

The taskbar was the first thing that I noticed with Windows 7, and i didn't like it.

So that's why i did this...

57325946.jpg

To be fair, outside of superficial differences, there aren't many under the hood changes between Vista & 7 that would greatly effect performance on high performance machines. 7 is not a magical upgrade over Vista that most people take it for, it is just a polished version of Vista, except this time, typical consumer hardware is up to scratch to actually run it, and manufacturers have finally made drivers that are decently stable enough.

So true.

I find it very annoying that one of your reasons for moving to Vista is because too many people use Windows 7. I suspect this is probably your main reason since none of the other reasons make any sense.

Haha :rofl:

Just wanna be different...

oh but there some huge under the hood changes.

Microsofts enginers re-structured the graphics sub-system API in so many words finished an unfinshued API that vista runs making vast improvments to how the API works with your single or quad GPUs

(Note link engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx)

image_18.png

another huge upgrade was the windows scheduler thread API witch is responsible for multi-core awareness and threading instructions the works . windows vista still used the one from windows XP the only difference's was that they made a threaded layer for windows explorer . Windows 7 included a brand new from the ground up multi-threaded / core aware API system << related to Kernel and other APIs also

those are justa couple of examples of how much under the hood stuff has changed from vista to windows 7 for the better

And how would you know that when you can't access the source code? Microsoft could say anything and you would lap it up lol.

another huge upgrade was the windows scheduler thread API witch is responsible for multi-core awareness and threading instructions the works . windows vista still used the one from windows XP the only difference's was that they made a threaded layer for windows explorer . Windows 7 included a brand new from the ground up multi-threaded / core aware API system << related to Kernel and other APIs also

The API is just the application interface, it has nothing to do with the implementation. Ever heard of polymorphism? Again, you talk like you know what changes they made, but you'll never know because it's proprietary closed source.

those are justa couple of examples of how much under the hood stuff has changed from vista to windows 7 for the better

LMFAO.

Are you kidding me? I'm not going to do the research for you but you are obviously misinformed. Windows 7 is FAR superior to Vista in every way. Totally a troll post. I know I haven't been here a quick second but, seriously?

And how would you know that when you can't access the source code? Microsoft could say anything and you would lap it up lol.

The API is just the application interface, it has nothing to do with the implementation. Ever heard of polymorphism? Again, you talk like you know what changes they made, but you'll never know because it's proprietary closed course.

LMFAO.

(snipped) cause it is obvious of the changes specially when ya compare side by side windows vista vs 7 and look at the DWM usage that they made some big changes under the hood for the better. also if you ever headed over to msdn channel 9

here is some videos with the Developers of windows 7 and differant parts of it just as an example

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charles/Inside-Windows-7-Larry-Osterman-on-new-audio-capabilities whats new in the windows 7 audio stack API sub system

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/LarryLarsen/Behind-the-Windows-7-Startup-Animation

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Dave-Probert-Inside-Windows-7-User-Mode-Scheduler-UMS <<< to do with threading and CPU and multi-core

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Arun-Kishan-Farewell-to-the-Windows-Kernel-Dispatcher-Lock Arun's work directly benefits the overall performance of Windows running on many processors and means,

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Chittur-Subbaraman-Inside-Windows-7-Service-Controller-and-Background-Processing The great work in the Windows 7 service controller by Chittur and team has a direct impact on the performance of Windows 7. Tune in to learn about the details and history of the service controller (and Task Manager).

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Elliot-H-Omiya-Larry-Osterman-and-Frank-Yerrace-Inside-Windows-7-Audio-Stack , Architect Elliot H Omiya, Principal Software Developer Larry Osterman and Principal Software Developer Frank Yerrace take us through the details of Windows 7 audio, including some history, some design decisions,

Edited by rm20010

Microsofts enginers re-structured the graphics sub-system API in so many words finished an unfinshued API that vista runs making vast improvments to how the API works with your single or quad GPUs

(Note link engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644 ;)

Are you kidding me? I'm not going to do the research for you but you are obviously misinformed. Windows 7 is FAR superior to Vista in every way. Totally a troll post. I know I haven't been here a quick second but, seriously?

(snipped)

Edited by rm20010

The API is just the application interface, it has nothing to do with the implementation. Ever heard of polymorphism? Again, you talk like you know what changes they made, but you'll never know because it's proprietary closed source.

LMFAO.

The changes he outlined are WELL documented and known to exist. The DWM one is an obvious change that YOU as the user can easily observe. All you need is a Vista box, a 7 box, and know how to open task manager to look at the ram usage of DWM.exe.