what do you think? Win98se or ME

larry

I have never used ME but I alway's hear nightmares about it. I can get a recent version of it but I have 98se and it works fine right now no biggie to format again and install ME. It's also on a PPro with 96 ram Just wondering cause the computer it'll be on is only for watching TV or doing stuff online when I occasionally burn a CD with WINXP... Thanks

Quboid

Win98SE

Regardless of specs or use, I'd always choose any version of Windows (newer than 3.11 or NT4) above WinME, even Win95 if possible.

* Xain detestes WinME

I think Win2000 is the best Windows yet, but it could do with a better comp than you have. Considering your specs, Win98SE is probably the best version available.

stevember

Hi,

Stay with 98se or goto Win2000. don't go for win me! I bought it and its the most expensive place mat I got!

Stevie

mortensen

I've got ME and it runs fine... it's not brilliant but it's NOT as bad as people say.

It is basically a multimedia version of Win98... comes with Movie Maker, more card games, etc.

If it's only for the web then don't bother if you have an OS. If you ever do need to do a clean install then ME is A LOT MORE friendly to set up than Win98 [it doesn't try to sign you up to MSN, etc - Win98 was very bad because of that] and is the better OS.

-mortensenj

Toxicfume

Yes, WinME is a nightmare. But it depends on what you usually do. If you are only going to do work stuff, go for 98SE.

But if you are going to game alot, i say you you consider WinME, but even 98SE performs very well on games.

I'd say you go for 98SE

larry

ok thanks. I think I'll try it and if I don't like it I'll re-install win98se. Like I said it's free shhh! don't tell microsoft..ha ha

Silvorgold

I would say 98SE because i always hear of Win ME crashing, although 98 crashes every 3 hrs, i dont want it to be even worse with ME, i'll just wait till XP, till then i'll use 98SE, but i dont like installing so much software (winzip, win media player 7, and like a dozen other programs) each time i have to reformat my computer

larry

Well, I have win xp and it is awsome. I have beta and it's never even crashed and there is soo much stuff not supported for it yet.

willywonka69

ive been running win98se for a 5 days know

has to be a record for the longest ever running win98

me101

My uptime on my rc2 box is now 28 days, ever since installing rc2 I have not rebooted. Try that on Win98 or even Win95! ME, Pah, the ME box that my friend has (dell p3-866) has to be rebooted like once every other day, and all they basically do is surf, and do msn/aol im.

ME is a piece of crap, and I agree with you ToxicFume, as soon as the home edition of XP comes to my friendly crapusa, I'll get then to upgrade, for $99 it's well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
MovieMaker

There are always problems with any O/S.

If your buying Win ME for the system restore...don't bother it doesn't work.

But it has Motherboard drivers with it which is an advantage!

So over all I think ME

But if your putting it on make sure you partition it so you can format regually it does tend to slow down!!

Lezend

I don't know why people dissing ME. It is the most up-to-date drivers OS than the rest. While you are struggling up dating your old OS with windows update, ME already include the majority of all the old software combine. On the other hand, if you were to buy ME then heck no. Not worth the money, but if you can get it for free, heck ya -- way better!

Over all, Windows 2000 Professional still my favorite. Stable and Painless.

configure

Why can't they (MS) make thing simple? What's the deal with all those graphical inky winky cartoonic mickeysoft GUI?! Just my rant on Luna tho.. ;) Overall, judging from the specification of your computer, I think 98SE is not that bad. I'm using one right now, and not going to upgrade to anything else but XP Home Edition. Just my opinion...

/me quietly walks off..

dmd3x

Windows mellenium did not like my sound card, network card, or video card. I also had problems with version conflicts of ODBC 32. Windows ME is a sad operating system. I would definately go with Windows 98, Windows 98 SE or Windows 2000!

shluxeon

As fellow users have suggested larry, go with Windows 98 SE. Although i'd recommend Win2k for it's better security features and stability! :)

larry

ok. I tried win2k but it didn't like my ATI AIW video card. anyone get it to work on win2k? I put 98se back in so I can watch tv on the puter..lol