[iPhone] Custom SMS Text Alert sounds

Is there any way to customize my SMS Text Alert sounds without jailbraking it? I tried googling the answer but all searches led to a dead end.

In short, no - you're restricted to the ones built into the phone.

Cue Apple bashers....

I just find it strange that I can customize my ringtones by downloading a song, picking a specific section of the song, and add it to the ringtone list directly all from my phone but I can't customize my SMS alerts.

why just apple bashers? custom sounds are a must in current phones...

No kidding, I'm not an Apple basher (though I do like apple sauce every now and then :p )....I personally do not mind Apple though I do not own and probably will not own any of their current products, but thats pretty bad when you cant even use custom sounds for text alerts and what not. That was one of the first things I did when I got my new/first phone, change the sounds for ringtone, text, and email, that way I can tell them apart not only from each other, but from others with similar phones.

No kidding, I'm not an Apple basher (though I do like apple sauce every now and then :p )....I personally do not mind Apple though I do not own and probably will not own any of their current products, but thats pretty bad when you cant even use custom sounds for text alerts and what not. That was one of the first things I did when I got my new/first phone, change the sounds for ringtone, text, and email, that way I can tell them apart not only from each other, but from others with similar phones.

The iPhone gives you about 10 different options for different text alert sounds. I'm talking about taking an mp3 and making that my SMS alert sound

I'm talking about taking an mp3 and making that my SMS alert sound

Not an unreasonable request since this feature has existed on most other phones for about 6/7 years...

The iPhone gives you about 10 different options for different text alert sounds. I'm talking about taking an mp3 and making that my SMS alert sound

I know, which is exactly what I did on my phone, when I said change the different sounds, I mean't with custom sounds so a majority of phone owners would have the same/similar selection and therefore be much less likely to use the sounds I changed to.

We appear to be getting more choices in iOS 4.2, however not a custom option... :\

yeap 4.2 is adding the ability to do custom sms sounds, but there not really custom, its more of an additional 10 are being added.

why just apple bashers? custom sounds are a must in current phones...

A must? Please. I much prefer having a functional OS over the ability to use a custom SMS tone. What are you, 15?

A must? Please. I much prefer having a functional OS over the ability to use a custom SMS tone. What are you, 15?

seriously?... Comon, almost every phone out there in recent times has had the ability to set a custom sound for all alerts... to say someone is 15 because they like to customize their devices is idiotic... lots of adults put time into UI customization... to put an option to select a custom sound is almost no work at all, it's just telling the phone to point to another sound file... the people who design the OS are not the same group of people that do the sound parts of it and other UI parts, so to say a functional OS over sound / UI stuff is irrelevant as they are done by two different teams... Apple has left out basic functionality in almost all their products recently, just to interoduce them slowly in to new versions as key selling points, by this time most people seem to realize this... but it's a stupid tatic... I mean your home screne wallpaper... what phone with a GUI hasn't had home screen wallpaper for the past decade?... and to put it in with the past couple versions like its a huge OMG WALLPAPER! I MUST BUY! thing is getting old... but then what about IOS isnt already functional? by now we should have this feature... the OS has been "functional" for many many versions now

seriously?... Comon, almost every phone out there in recent times has had the ability to set a custom sound for all alerts... to put an option to select a custom sound is almost no work at all, it's just telling the phone to point to another sound file... the people who design the OS are not the same group of people that do the sound parts of it and other UI parts, so to say a functional OS over sound / UI stuff is irrelevant as they are done by two different teams... Apple has left out basic functionality in almost all their products recently, just to interoduce them slowly in to new versions as key selling points, by this time most people seem to realize this... but it's a stupid tatic... I mean your home screne wallpaper... what phone with a GUI hasn't had home screen wallpaper for the past decade?... and to put it in with the past couple versions like its a huge OMG WALLPAPER! I MUST BUY! thing is getting old...

I understand your point, I just thought that the majority of iPhone users (including myself) really didn't care for any of this.

I guess I was wrong.

Until they get all the features you need built into the OS by default, jailbreak. It's definitely worth it. :yes:

Is that jailbreak from your phone site still up? I'm starting to seriously think about this

There really should be an option for custom IMHO. There are more SMS tones being added, but the ones I've heard from the 4.2 beta are terrible. Lots of neat and exciting ways to annoy the crap out of everyone around you.

Thats why I keep my phone on vibrate practically all the time. There are enough people with annoying ringtones and SMS tones going off...I don't need to contribute to this.

In fairness, I'm surprised at the decision financially... I mean, in 2007, the sale of ringtones and message alert tones was a MAJOR source of revenue. I would assume this has dropped SLIGHTLY but, still...

Ok - have to say it - this is not the selling point on other phones but if manufacturers continue to leave out the little things people aren't going to buy their product. I love my android phone and the "Ring Droid" app I can download and customize any sound file to be my ringtone or sms txt tone, etc... is great just to say, "I can do this..." Does it make my business better, get more clients on board, or allow me to do things in a more productive manner? no...but again, its neat :cool:

Just to clear things up, you can rename a sound file and drag it to itunes to become a custom ringtone. Or you can download an app that does it for you on the iPhone.

Ringtones aren't my issue. I was just asking about the SMS sound

There really should be an option for custom IMHO. There are more SMS tones being added, but the ones I've heard from the 4.2 beta are terrible. Lots of neat and exciting ways to annoy the crap out of everyone around you.

Thats why I keep my phone on vibrate practically all the time. There are enough people with annoying ringtones and SMS tones going off...I don't need to contribute to this.

That sounds a lot like custom tones to me.

um, if I remember, you must convert the audio files in Itunes, convert ending to .m4r then rename the file according to a name of the sms files in some folder i can't remember :pinch: , but yeh, jailbreaking is the only way to go at least that's the route I've been taking