Apple Media Event, October 20th

Can anyone one confirm that the new Air models really don't have a backlit keyboard? What a huge step backward...

No backlit keyboards, Engadget confirmed hands-on. I think that this is one of those wait-for-rev-2 products.

I really hope there was a technical reason for taking away the backlit keyboard and not just taking away a feature for the sake of taking away a feature and promoting it in next year's model.

Really lame that none of the new iLife applications are 64-bit...

I wish they would make itunes cocoa first, it would make converting MP3's and what not sooo much faster nevermind making the program itself a lot faster.

I don't understand why the newest Air models not including Flash is even as issue. First, Apple is pretty much the only OEM that includes Flash installed by default, at all. I've had many Dell computers in the past, and I know that their Windows installs never include Flash. And on top of that, the version of Flash that Apple includes in Mac OS X seems to be outdated, anyway. It doesn't seem to have any 10.x build at all.

It's not that you can't easily install Flash plugin yourself, it's about the message Apple sends out. Surely you understand that?

But that's just the thing, Apple isn't sending any different message than Microsoft, Dell, HP, Acer, or others. No computer I've seen comes with Flash installed by default except Macs (before the new Airs). So, what message were the others sending?

But that's just the thing, Apple isn't sending any different message than Microsoft, Dell, HP, Acer, or others. No computer I've seen comes with Flash installed by default except Macs (before the new Airs). So, what message were the others sending?

The others never incorporated Flash in the first place. Apple always did. In light of all the bickering between the companies, Apple suddenly decides to get rid of Flash? It's the timing I guess...

A more natural time would have been starting Mac OS X Lion or v10.6.5 even.

.Neo, I understand what you mean, but by experience it's true that the Flash Player always gets updated in a frequency that is so small that it scared me. You have like one version every week or so, and Apple was probably just tired of always looking for the latest Flash plugin every time they would release a new DVD with a new revision of OS X. This is a waste of time, and this is the way as I see that. Hell, it can even push a release of OS X further because it's probably the last thing you'll wanna do just to make sure you're including the latest version.

Oh and remember the time when Apple went in the news for including an outdated Flash player which contained a security issue? They will now avoid that.

I don't think it comes from the fact that Flash player sucks and is the definition in the dictionary of "unoptimized". If Adobe released a stable player that gets updated every year instead of every few days, I don't think this would happen.

Those are issues that have been playing for years not. So why didn't they make this choice when releasing Snow Leopard? I just think the timing is a bid odd considering my few weeks old iMac does have Flash on the Install DVD.

I've had a couple of days to compose myself - talk about the biggest let down for the last 10 years.

They show off iLife full of updates that seems to indicate they're at a point of diminishing returns.

The MacBook Air isn't really my thing - so I won't bash people who like it.

The Lion presentation was a major waste of time, a whole heap of gimmicky crap that quite frankly demonstrates me it was a show put together at the last minute: "quick, get some pointless crap together so we can show the public that we still give a crap about Mac OS X" and thus we have the half baked presentation. Sorry, after that presentation it signaled the beginning of the end for Mac OS X - to Steve and his managers Mac OS X is a giant pain in the ass and waste of time where they would sooner focus on iOS devices in the future instead. If the 2-3 years of ignoring Mac OS X is any indication be prepared for a pretty bleak future if you're a Mac OS X user.

I've been a loyal user for almost a decade and it is pretty damn depressing the presentation.

If the 2-3 years of ignoring Mac OS X is any indication be prepared for a pretty bleak future if you're a Mac OS X user.

yeah, except they didn't. Leopard was announced in 2006, came out in 2007 with updates until August 2009, when Snow Leopard came out, at the end of August 2009. Now, they announced Lion, which won't come out until Summer but the two Leopards didn't either.

The only thing they did was change the cycle from 1 year to 2 years, which is perfectly normal.

People often times confuse iOS with the death of MacOS, because you heard more about iOS recently. Which is because of it's tremendous success and anyone who wouldn't milk the iOS-cow would be plain stupid. To the vast majority of people out there, MacOS does not matter as much as iOS, which in no way means that Apple has abandoned MacOS altogether. It just means that they have an incredibly successfull OS out there, which they try to make money from. Big deal...

All these folks who predict the end of Apple because... yeah, why, anyways? No reason at all...

yeah, except they didn't. Leopard was announced in 2006, came out in 2007 with updates until August 2009, when Snow Leopard came out, at the end of August 2009. Now, they announced Lion, which won't come out until Summer but the two Leopards didn't either.

The only thing they did was change the cycle from 1 year to 2 years, which is perfectly normal.

No, it is the fact that Leopard was delayed 6 months because they were more concerned with satisfying the i-device idiots than making sure they delivered 10.5 on time and without the huge amount of bugs that came with the initial x.0 release - even Windows 7 wasn't that buggy! You can't honestly expect me to believe that after they allocated all resources to iOS that maybe its a hint by them that they're not really serious about their desktop operating system? come on, they're a billion dollar company and they *STILL* haven't hired more staff so that both iOS and Mac OS X can be worked on simultaneously without needing to have programmers move to iOS at the last minute? If Apple were serious about developing Mac OS X they wouldn't have shown off gimmicky crap (how about showing something worth while like an upgraded OpenGL for christ sake) and they would have actually hired some more people to work on it to address the bugs that developers have to contend with - check out Mozilla Bugzilla some time to see the amount of bugs that Apple simply refuses to fix so it isn't as though Mac OS X has matured so much, so absolutely perfect that there is little that can be done.

People often times confuse iOS with the death of MacOS, because you heard more about iOS recently. Which is because of it's tremendous success and anyone who wouldn't milk the iOS-cow would be plain stupid. To the vast majority of people out there, MacOS does not matter as much as iOS, which in no way means that Apple has abandoned MacOS altogether. It just means that they have an incredibly successfull OS out there, which they try to make money from. Big deal...

All these folks who predict the end of Apple because... yeah, why, anyways? No reason at all...

Because I'm sick and tired of seeing $5000+ investment going down the toilet because Steve Jobs seems to be more concerned about serving the i-device idiots than actually addressing the need to rebalance the company - to actually go out hire another 5000 new programmers and have them working full time, all the time on Mac OS X and not being pushed off to work on iOS when 'Steve' feels the need that resources should be pushed in that direction.

What exactly ****es you off that badly with Snow Leopard?

Plus, I can't really for the heck of it take you seriously with all that BS talk of i-idiots... Seriously, what do you think? That those 13+ million folks who bought iPhones are stupid idiots that don't know better? And do you think Apple, a multi billion Dollar company, would not go all w00t when looking at those numbers and clearly focus more on iOS? I mean c'mon, you might not like it but it's perfectly understandable.

Imagine you make cheese. Let's say Cheddar and Gouda. Now in Europe, more people eat Gouda than Chaddar. I would willingly pee off some of the Cheddar-eaters to focus on my Gouda-making, because that, clearly, is the market to make profit in.

See, Apple isn't abandoning Mac OS. They just announced the next major release, for gods sakes! The features might not be of your liking but it was a SNEAK PEAK! There is plenty more to come. Those were three, four features that will definately be in the final release but even with those, we have no actual idea of what they will look like when Lion comes out!

So what about cutting the "I judge other people and calling them idiots because they buy a product that I don't like or whatever"-crap and just sitting back and waiting for things to come?

Afterall, if you have such bad experiences with Mac OS and Snow Leopard feels and works sooooo very badly for you, why not switch over to Windows...?

No, it is the fact that Leopard was delayed 6 months because they were more concerned with satisfying the i-device idiots than making sure they delivered 10.5 on time and without the huge amount of bugs that came with the initial x.0 release - even Windows 7 wasn't that buggy!

Windows 7 wasn't exactly a big update and basically Windows Vista should have been in the first place: Similar to Snow Leopard. Six months is nothing compared to the three years Windows Vista was delayed to. :whistle:

Personally I hadn't have any problems with Leopard, I had my worst experience with Mac OS X Tiger.

If Apple were serious about developing Mac OS X they wouldn't have shown off gimmicky crap (how about showing something worth while like an upgraded OpenGL for christ sake) and they would have actually hired some more people to work on it to address the bugs that developers have to contend with

Remember that this was a media event, not WWDC, so they focused more on consumer-oriented features instead of developer-oriented features like OpenGL and bug fixes.