[UK] Clio or Corsa?

Hi,

I've just passed my driving test and am hoping to get a car very soon. I've been looking at a 2004 Clio with 70k miles on the clock and a 2005 Corsa with 49k miles. My main concerns are price and reliability. I can afford either car on finance and have already seen insurance quotes on both, which are acceptable, so that just leaves reliability.

In your experience, which of the two cars is more reliable? The Corsa only has one previous owner, it doesn't say about the Clio. The Corsa is ?300 more expensive and slightly more expensive on the insurance too, but that's negligible really.

The last thing I want is to have my first car breaking down within a few months!

Thanks in advance smile.gif

Neither lol.

I was also thinking about a 2005 Micra with only 35k miles on the clock, but then that's going into ?4k and I don't know if I want to spend that on my first car :p

both same sized engines? for reliability, and price of fixing it if something goes wrong you'd be best off with the Vauxhall, while not particularly well known for the their reliability its certainly a better reputation than Renault. for each cars individual reliability i would suggest googling the car, year and engine size with the word 'problem' on the end and reading few the first few hits, can help spot common faults and how likely your are to come across them

also after 70-80 thousand miles the chances of the cambelt needing changing are much higher, infact most manufactures recommend it at around that mileage. this job alone can cost ?200-?300 with parts and labour

both same sized engines? for reliability, and price of fixing it if something goes wrong you'd be best off with the Vauxhall, while not particularly well known for the their reliability its certainly a better reputation than Renault. for each cars individual reliability i would suggest googling the car, year and engine size with the word 'problem' on the end and reading few the first few hits, can help spot common faults and how likely your are to come across them

The Corsa is a 1.0 and the Clio is a 1.2.

It's mainly the less mileage that's swaying me to the corsa atm. I'm going to have a look at both on Saturday anyway :)

I drove (for a few days) a Corsa sxi 1.2 recently. Found it to be painfully sluggish. I mean, I've driven lower powered cars plenty of times, but I couldn't believe the amount of times I found myself changing down gears, and revving the hell out of it to get anywhere.

Can't say much about the Clios as I haven't driven one. In your position I might seriously consider the slightly larger engine though..

I drove (for a few days) a Corsa sxi 1.2 recently. Found it to be painfully sluggish. I mean, I've driven lower powered cars plenty of times, but I couldn't believe the amount of times I found myself changing down gears, and revving the hell out of it to get anywhere.

Can't say much about the Clios as I haven't driven one. In your position I might seriously consider the slightly larger engine though..

The thing about Clios is they get very mixed reviews, whereas Corsas seem to get more positive reviews, and Corsas are very popular which must be for a reason!

I do prefer Clios to Corsas looks wise, and the slightly larger engine would be good because I'll be doing a lot of motorway driving (the Mrs lives 120 miles away :p).. I don't think I'll be able to make my mind up until the day!

Cheers everyone :D

I have had Two Corsa's both engines commited suicide. needing about ?2500 worth of parts and labour. Several friends also had the same issue as have the tons of prople posting here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=69006

Plus, the oil pump fails and you get no notification on the dasboard. First you know if the sound of grinding metal.

I would avoid them, the new corsas have the same engine as do some of the Astra models.

Clio - mines a 53 plate, 1.2 Dynamique, ?40 per tyre, ?80 a service. 82k on the clock.

Starts first time, even at -6oC!

GE

Just with the Clio's, make sure you check for the bonnet to see if it's one of the one's that had the fault.

Neither really. Everyone goes for the Corsa/Clio/106/306 pick around here so I went for a Micra (the older one, they ruined them after that) and it's been perfect.

Neither really. Everyone goes for the Corsa/Clio/106/306 pick around here so I went for a Micra (the older one, they ruined them after that) and it's been perfect.

See I want an old Micra but there's nowhere that's got them in stock around here and I'm desperate to get a car :(

The Corsa's so popular because it's such a favourite of driving instructors, not because it's fundamentally any good ;)

Personally I find them horribly uninspiring to drive and, though I've never driven a Clio, it can't be any more dull. As such I would ignore the reliability concerns one would normally have with a French car and get as far away from a Corsa as possible.

See I want an old Micra but there's nowhere that's got them in stock around here and I'm desperate to get a car :(

I actually went a good length of England for mine (Cumbria to Suffolk) so that's no excuse :laugh:

(I really wanted an SE+ at the time.) Anyways, I always enjoy driving it. Have you had a look on Autotrader I take it?

Mileage is meaningless on modern vehicles. I would be more interested in possible rust, service intervals, or any curious knocking sounds :p

This is the most important. A car can go for many many miles if it has been serviced frequently.

Are you a girl? - Clio

Are You A Boy Racer? - Corsa

Are You Neither? - Go for a Fiesta or something else :p

I actually went a good length of England for mine (Cumbria to Suffolk) so that's no excuse laugh.gif

(I really wanted an SE+ at the time.)

I only passed my test on Tuesday so I don't really want to be driving between cities on my own yet tongue.gif

Edit: yeah, looked on Auto trader but I really want the security of buying from a dealer!

This is the most important. A car can go for many many miles if it has been serviced frequently.

Are you a girl? - Clio

Are You A Boy Racer? - Corsa

Are You Neither? - Go for a Fiesta or something else tongue.gif

I'm a 22 year old bloke but not gunna be a boy racer, I'm going to be an old man driver and not speed etc tongue.gif

All cars say they have a "full service history" but I know that's just marketing haha, will have to check it out more thoroughly when I view them.

I'd go with a Corsa over a Clio... (Unless we start talking about the top of range Clio sports...)

However, you'll find that both cars are simple run-arounds but not a bad choice for the first car.