Hello,

My Floppy Drive is not recognized in my windows 7 64 bit OS

I didn't open my case since I installed Vista and then upgraded into windows 7

It was fully functioning in vista

but it's not recognized in my 7

so how can I solve this ?!

Thanks

H3

I saw no post, there was nothing on the left...

But seriously, check that you haven't disabled it in your BIOS and that all the power and data cables are plugged in to the drive.

Also, check Device Manager to see if its an unrecognised device or has driver issues. If your drive isn't in device manager at all, chances are that it's not enabled much lower down than the OS.

Failing that, move to DVD's or bootable USB's. Who uses floppy's anymore :D

If it is a ribbon connected floppy drive maybe it's dead or has a driver issue as noted above. If you really need one still how about a USB based one?

On a very unhelpful note, this may be the first test use of floppy drives in Windows 7. Perhaps nobody else has ever bothered.

On a more helpful note, you could boot Knoppix and see if the floppy drive works. At least then you would know if it was a hardware problem or not.

It was disabled from BIOS

but what I see now that there is a small LED that it's not working

I think that it must show a glowing green light

but it's not working over here

so maybe there is something wrong in the hardware " connections or so .. " ?!

The LED isnt on perminently, only when its reading/writing data. Boot up and stick a floppy disk in and try to actualy write data to it, this will tell you if it is working or not.

The LED isnt on perminently, only when its reading/writing data. Boot up and stick a floppy disk in and try to actualy write data to it, this will tell you if it is working or not.

Actually, if the LED is on permanently then the floppy cable is connected upside down.

I enabled it from BIOS

and I entered 3 or 4 disks

and every time I get a message saying please enter a floppy disk

and the LED is not glowing at all

even when I enter a disk

I enabled it from BIOS

even when I enter a disk

If the power connector connected?

Actually, if the LED is on permanently then the floppy cable is connected upside down.

Thanks, I am enlightened! :laugh:

I enabled it from BIOS

even when I enter a disk

Check the power to the drive and try a connection from another feed if possible. It is showing in the system so it could be that the drive is shot.

I didn't open the case to see that to be honest

but from my sayings, could it be a power problem ?!

so that I open the case and deal with it

If the data cable and the power cable are connected then the floppy drives will often seek (the light will flash) on boot. Some BIOSes have the ability to disable/enable floppy seek.

Thanks, I am enlightened! :laugh:

Just what you needed, eh?

Floppy drive experience being at an all new high and all. :D

On a very unhelpful note, this may be the first test use of floppy drives in Windows 7. Perhaps nobody else has ever bothered.

I have a floppy drive on my Windows 7 machine and it works.

Why bother using floppy drives in a Windows 7 machine? What could you possibly be storing on something that can only hold 1.44mb of data and transfers said data at the speed of a snail? Also, where else are you going to be able to use this media? Hardly anyone still has floppy drives anywhere. Just get a USB flash drive or SD card reader and be done with it.

I mean seriously, one JPG from my camera would require like 5 floppies.

Why bother using floppy drives in a Windows 7 machine? What could you possibly be storing on something that can only hold 1.44mb of data and transfers said data at the speed of a snail? Also, where else are you going to be able to use this media? Hardly anyone still has floppy drives anywhere. Just get a USB flash drive or SD card reader and be done with it.

I mean seriously, one JPG from my camera would require like 5 floppies.

Recovering old data from floppy drives could be something you'd use a floppy drive for these days. It doesn't mean that you have to use floppy drives for everything.

Why not invest / spend a couple of bucks (10$) on a 3.5" cardreader. (Akasa or Skythe or OEM)

I replaced all the floppy drives in the household for a akasa cardreaders. (you can even read simcards from your phone to quickly backup important phonenumbers)

A 4GB CompactFlash card is very cheap. You can create a bootable image on them and or store the complete windows 7 / Vista installation and install the OS in mere minutes.

I believe a pack of 10 new 3.5"diskettes cost more than a single 4GB CF-card...

Yea floppys are so yesterday but I do a lot of pro-bono work for non-profits and a lot of them still have them due to financial constraints. So I keep my 12 year old floopy drive to move updates and database fixes for them. It has worked fine since Win7 RC and a rebuild earlier this year.

Suggestion if the drive is dead and you still need the best bet is a USB one, no install and you can use it on any machine plus they are cheap.