Installing Windows XP on 500 gig drive ...

My hard drive apparently went bye-bye, so I got a new 500 gig drive to install Windows XP pro on.

The catch is, I have the original XP cd to install with, and it will not fully format the drive to 500 gigs.

Is there any way to combine my CD and say, service pack 2, so that Windows will fully format as well as install XP ?

Or can I get Windows to make a primary partition, after I get SP2 on the drive ?

Thanks for any help. ;)

PLEASE, no Vista or Windows 7 suggestions.

You can't use XP forever...

Anyways, the only way to properly do this is by slipstreaming SP3 on a disc and installing it that way. Pre-SP2 XP doesn't like modern hard drives. Why are you so anti-vista/7 anyways?

"Why are you so anti-vista/7 anyways? "

Well for one maybe he is not currently legal for vista or w7 and can not afford to buy it currently, and second maybe its an OLDER machine and just a new larger drive.

I have never run into this problem personally, but you should also just be able to create the size of partition you are able to, install - and then upgrade to sp3 -- then just expand the partition to fill the disk.

May i suggest a painless upgrade to WINDOWS XP PRO 64 Bits. Its a lot more stable and faster. That is if you have a 64 bit cpu, and its cheap on EBAY

Firstly, there is no upgrade Windows anything 64-bit except 64-bit to 64-bit. Secondly, if he's going to spend any amount of money on licensing, he would be better off upgrading to Vista/7 after taking into account his specs. Although, I have Windows 7 on my three-four year old netbook and it works well.

Well I see he actually said no Vista/7. That's disappointing, but I would not suggest Windows XP 64-bit; good luck finding 64-bit XP drivers.

You have a valid point, but in my experience when it comes to the productive value of a machine if the machine is say an INTEL CELERO 2.8GH with 128K of cache, it would run Windows 7 quite slow, due to its small cache, hence why intel clocked those cpus sky high to compensate. But if his/her cpu has X64 extensions no matter how old the machine is it could have drivers for XP 64 bit.

Just the thoughts of an it guy

I too have a netbook with windows 7 but have you stopped to think that windows 7 has optimizations for mobile netbook cpus? he may not have that luxury, and yes you can upgrade to windows xp x64 from 32 bit its called a clean install!

Also, the problem most of you fail to see is that x64 was what XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION was OEM only, no retail release hence the lack of certain drivers but it marked the first time microsoft released a consumer os based on a server operating system.

Anyways, the only way to properly do this is by slipstreaming SP3 on a disc and installing it that way. Pre-SP2 XP doesn't like modern hard drives. Why are you so anti-vista/7 anyways?

You mean slipstream *SP2*.

The alternative is to format the partition as large as the current XP allows, apply SP3, then (via Disk Management in Administrative Tools) expand the partition.

The usual reason for avoiding Vista and/or 7 is an application or game that is unready for the new operating system; however, it could have very well been that the old hard drive was too small. (Yes; that is despite the reality that even 7 Ultimate will fit on a 40 GB PATA drive, with space to spare.)

Btw to the original poster, if you stil feel like going through WINDOWS XP PRO X86 you could save yourself some time and get a XP SP3 disc from Ebay? they're only a few bucks. Keep in mind when you first power up the WINDOWS MESSENGER has a security flaw you'll need to plug. Install Windows Messenger 5.1.0716 from Softpedia. Hope it all works out for you bud.

The alternative is to format the partition as large as the current XP allows, apply SP3, then (via Disk Management in Administrative Tools) expand the partition.

The usual reason for avoiding Vista and/or 7 is an application or game that is unready for the new operating system; however, it could have very well been that the old hard drive was too small. (Yes; that is despite the reality that even 7 Ultimate will fit on a 40 GB PATA drive, with space to spare.)

If memory serves me well you are able to slipstream SP3 into xp, just not sure if its a slightly diffrent process it being its the EOL service pack

Btw to the original poster, if you stil feel like going through WINDOWS XP PRO X86 you could save yourself some time and get a XP SP3 disc from Ebay? they're only a few bucks. Keep in mind when you first power up the WINDOWS MESSENGER has a security flaw you'll need to plug. Install Windows Messenger 5.1.0716 from Softpedia. Hope it all works out for you bud.

If memory serves me well you are able to slipstream SP3 into xp, just not sure if its a slightly diffrent process it being its the EOL service pack

I posted a great utility to assist with slip streaming. You bascially copy your cd to a folder, tell the utility where that folder is, then tell the utility what you want to do (slipstream sp2 or sp3 for example), then have it make an iso or burn to a new disk. Costs 1 blank disk, some dl time to dl the sp, and you don't have to wait for it to be shipped to you. sp3 is the current service pack, it isn't a EOL service pack. xp support extends to 2016, so it will not be EOL'd any time soon.

I could write directions, but if you can't read and know how to click you shouldn't be using a forum to post questions or answers. Not trying to belittle anyone, or trying to come off that way, but it really is read what the button does, click it, go to the next step, click what you want by reading what the button does, select where the location is of the sp next, it does it's thing, when it is done it will ask you to burn a disk or create an iso. I don't think you can get it any easier, manually doing it requires you to extract the files and run a command to slip stream them in, then find the boot loaders of the disk merge them back in to the disk, all using a bunch of either pirated utilities or other complicated ways of doing it. It can be done either the ms way or the utility I linked to. It is easier with the utility I linked to, saves quite a few steps.

Hostility eh

Well what i meant to say was SP3 ie EOL because ms won't release another service pack for xp get your facts straight! Second, mr.utility not everyone wants to go through the trouble of slipstreaming hence why i suggested going with a ready made disc. And yes XP will EOL in 2016, but the Sp3 is the end of the line in sp what rock have you been hiding under?

Why on earth would you want to slipstream SP2 instead of SP3? SP2 is no longer supported.

Will you get over yourself? Upgrading to Vista/7 isn't always a good idea (if he doesn't have a license for it why bother buying it to install on an older machine?)

Hostility eh

Well what i meant to say was SP3 ie EOL because ms won't release another service pack for xp get your facts straight! Second, mr.utility not everyone wants to go through the trouble of slipstreaming hence why i suggested going with a ready made disc. And yes XP will EOL in 2016, but the Sp3 is the end of the line in sp what rock have you been hiding under?

Read my edit, not trying to be hostile or hiding from under a rock. SP3 isn't EOL, SP3 is the last service pack. A big difference between End of Life (EOL) and the last service pack that will come out for the os. Not everyone wants to slipstream because it was a painful process to do it. With that I could slipstream a disk in 10 min, it takes little to no knowledge of the process, it is as point and click as you can get.

Isn't the point of posting to increase the knowledge of everyone collectively?

In my experience, realtek HD audio drivers refuse to install under SP3 (unless modified).

Anyways, http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Or you go and find the newer driver that works with sp3.

Hostility eh

SP3 is not EOL.

Why would you not want to slipstream? it is quicker and easier than installing XP and then installing a SP on top... There are so many programs that do it all for you now too that its crazy not to!

Have they finally fix this problem?!

When I come across the driver again I will post it, or you can try going up a model or two on the manufacturer site or going direct to realtek.

Have they finally fix this problem?!

Realtek updates their HD audio drivers ridiculously often. I've never come across that issue. You were probably trying to use a driver that was dozens of revisions old.

Realtek updates their HD audio drivers ridiculously often. I've never come across that issue. You were probably trying to use a driver that was dozens of revisions old.

The High Definition Audio hotfix wasn't included in sp3 and the installer only ran on sp1 & sp2. So you would either need to install it on sp2 and upgrade, or trick the install into thinking you're running sp2.

kb835221

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
  • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
  • Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
  • Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V
  • Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
  • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard
  • Windows Web Server 2008
kb888111
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
  • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
  • Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

Looks like Microsoft still hasn't released a installer that works out of the box with sp3.

... format the partition as large as the current XP allows, apply SP3, then (via Disk Management in Administrative Tools) expand the partition.

I guess I'll give this a try.

I can't really create a slipstream, as I don't have use of the DVD/CD burner, due to the desktop being down.

(My alternative computer is this netbook -- only has USB drive capability)

I also believe that I tried making a slipstream once before, and it did not work.

Windows XP in times past did a 'dynamic update', and that took care of the 137 gig limit.

I suppose that is no longer supported.

If I have to create a slipstream disc, I guess I will have to install Win XP, create the CD, then erase the new hard drive again, and start over. :unsure:

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

I'll let you know the outcome.

this will work

May i suggest a painless upgrade to WINDOWS XP PRO 64 Bits. Its a lot more stable and faster. That is if you have a 64 bit cpu, and its cheap on EBAY

I had to chime in on this one.

WAIT WHAT?!...

1: As said, you can't upgrade to Windows XP Pro 64.

2: All support of that OS is dropped also, it is based on Server 2003 x64 core.

3: Vendors are not supporting it for any updated drivers either.

That has to be up there on the list of worst IT advice, somewhere in the top 10.