[XP] Bluescreen During Install, Please Help

Well im not sure what else you can try TBH. Other than start removing graphics cards etc and putting new one.

This realy is a strange one. Its not like we can say the hardware must be faulty either, since you can run other OS's on there without an issue.

Well im not sure what else you can try TBH. Other than start removing graphics cards etc and putting new one.

This realy is a strange one. Its not like we can say the hardware must be faulty either, since you can run other OS's on there without an issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare graphics card.

The error I get is related to boot_device_inaccessible so it has to have something to do with the hard disks, I just can't figure out why it is happening even when I put my SATA controllers into IDE mode :/

Update:

Finally figured out how to get the VMWare method working, however the crash still occurs when I try and boot natively from the drive :(

Are you sure you don't hav a bad stick of ram, thats one of the biggest pet peeves of xp, A bad stick of ram, remove them all and then start with just one, and so forth till you can get past the bsod

Have you tried it with only 1 drive attached, either IDE or SATA?

Yep, made no difference

Are you sure you don't hav a bad stick of ram, thats one of the biggest pet peeves of xp, A bad stick of ram, remove them all and then start with just one, and so forth till you can get past the bsod

My ram should be fine, the sticks are fairly new, and none of my other operating systems ever crash. I'll check it out, but I don't think the memory is responsible

If I were you I would be testing everything right now. I'm baffled as to what is causing your problems. I would test your memory with memtest Look up your HDD manufactures and test there drives with there offered diag tools (if you haven't done so already) swap out SATA and IDE Cables. Make sure that the CDRom drive you are using isn't on the same ide cable as the ide drive (can cause problems, even though it doesn't sound like the cause of the problem). Download and use intel's SATA drivers if you are not already.

Also open up your computer and make sure everything is fully seated and connected right.

If I were you I would be testing everything right now. I'm baffled as to what is causing your problems. I would test your memory with memtest Look up your HDD manufactures and test there drives with there offered diag tools (if you haven't done so already) swap out SATA and IDE Cables. Make sure that the CDRom drive you are using isn't on the same ide cable as the ide drive (can cause problems, even though it doesn't sound like the cause of the problem). Download and use intel's SATA drivers if you are not already.

Also open up your computer and make sure everything is fully seated and connected right.

I have already tried removing both of my IDE drives, and sadly made no difference.

Umm did you slipstream SP3 in this slipstream as well? Before adding the SATA x86 drivers? Here's the same exact stop error. And here. Is there a virus protection option in the BIOS?? If there is, disable it

You mean the no execute bit? Yes I can disable that. And I was using XP X64, there is no SP3 for it, SP2 is latest

No not the executable bit. Leave that enabled. Some BIOS'es have a virus option, like a bootblock virus option. Well yer SP2 if its x64 and SP3 when you were SS XP x 86

I am not sure if it has that feature or not, I will have to have a look and get back to you

What BIOS is on it at the mo?? Looks like this is the BIOS update. I'll get the manual and have a look and see whats in the BIOS

I am using the latest bios update posted Here. It's release date was 24/12/2008 which I believe makes it newer than the bios posted on the site you linked me to, although the fact that the 2 sites are out of sync confuses me. CDC24 which I am using now is listed on the site I linked to as being newer than CDA02, on the site you linked.

Also, checked out my bios there is indeed no setting for virus protection

OK. Under onboard IDE device, (If you want SATA), SATA mode is on SATA, I dont know what legacy mode does. Is Onboard JMB363 controller enabled or disabled?? I think its meant to be enabled. And controller mode on SATA. And what SATA port is the hdd plugged into? Since it looks it looks like port 1-6 are Intel SATA, and 7-8 Jmicron. Altho I think this is only for RAID

OK. Under onboard IDE device, (If you want SATA), SATA mode is on SATA, I dont know what legacy mode does. Is Onboard JMB363 controller enabled or disabled?? I think its meant to be enabled. And controller mode on SATA. And what SATA port is the hdd plugged into? Since it looks it looks like port 1-6 are Intel SATA, and 7-8 Jmicron

I have my 2 SATAI devices plugged into the JMicron controller at present (ports 7 and 8, one is a DVD-RW drive, and the other a 200GB SATAI hard disk), and the 2 SATAII drives plugged into the Intel controller (port 1 for the disk I boot from and 2 for the other disk), however I have also tried it with all 4 plugged into the controller with no change in the crash. The JMicron controller has either RAID or Native IDE as the options, and I have tried it set to both of those, and with the device disabled and the crash is also the same. Also, with legacy mode enabled, the crash is the same.

If all of the hdds are plugged in, DOES the BIOS detect all of them?? And if you've got a Vista or Win7 DVD, have you tried either, to see if the install works? That'll tell us whether something is faulty. Since both should work. Try slipstreaming the Intel SATA drivers again (just slipstream the ICH9R drivers, nothing else). See if it makes a diff. I take it, all of these SATA devices have power going to them?? Since, all need DATA from the ports and power (from the PSU)

If all of the hdds are plugged in, DOES the BIOS detect all of them?? And if you've got a Vista or Win7 DVD, have you tried either, to see if the install works? That'll tell us whether something is faulty. Since both should work. Try slipstreaming the Intel SATA drivers again (just slipstream the ICH9R drivers, nothing else). See if it makes a diff. I take it, all of these SATA devices have power going to them?? Since, all need DATA from the ports and power (from the PSU)

Yes they all have power to them. My current Windows 7 install detects all of the drives that I have plugged in, as does my BIOS. I will try and boot a Windows 7 install and let you know what the outcome is ASAP

Sweet. You dont have to activate it, we just have to see if win7 will see the hdd / and install

Indeed. Will install it to a spare drive, install all my drivers and run a few benchmarks to check it for stability and whatnot. Will probably not get around to that tonight so I will report results back to you tomorrow

Ok

I installed Windows 7 on a spare drive in my computer. It booted up fine, it installed fine, and it detected all of my drives, without me even needing to load the Intel AHCI drivers. I booted the installation up to check it over, I installed all of my disk and chipset drivers, and all of my drives where also detected and working properly within the OS

However, I did notice something most peculiar during the install process.

post-286512-12878512799357.jpg

This message came up when I (amusingly enough accidentlally) selected the 250GB IDE drive that I have, instead of the drive that I intended to install to. Out of curiosity, I restarted the computer with the JMicron controller (which also controls the IDE drives) in RAID mode, and this error was no longer present. Windows still detected all of my hard disks correctly with the JMicron controller in RAID mode. However I was able to install Windows 7 without the JMicron controller in RAID mode, and the hard disk still worked properly in Windows, it just wouldn't boot from that disk for some reason.

As Windows 7 worked, I then went back to trying XP X64. I tried to boot my computer up with my Intel controller in AHCI mode, and the JMicron controller in RAID mode, and then with the Intel controller in IDE mode and the JMicron controller in RAID mode, however the crash was the same. I have also tried altering the jumper settings on both of my IDE drive, however the original combination was the only combination that works, so it can't be that. The thing that really confuses me however is that even when I disable the JMicron controller in the BIOS, the Windows XP installer still bluescreens.

I have also ran some benchmarks, and done a couple of large file transfers, and both of the disks attached to the JMicron are performing at or near expectation, so I do not believe that the controller is faulty.

Whatever it is, it's specific to XP, as Windows 7 works perfectly.

Well first thing, are you using RAID or not??? If you're not, disable it in the BIOS. And leave it disabled. Because if you enable it (if you install Vista, or Win7), you'll need the RAID and SATA drivers for XP x64 and XP x86 (before you install both). Since XP x86 and x64 dont have any SATA or RAID drivers on the original CD

Thats right, Vista and Win7 installs BASIC SATA drivers (if AHCI is enabled in the BIOS).

You can still ADD the SATA drivers (from the manufacturer's site, during the install of Win7, which may give it more options). You can do this from the Win7 setup, or after Win7 has been installed through device manager. If you jumper the IDE hdd's just make sure you dont jumper 2 of them to slave or master. Or they'll conflict. I would say its the way you've slipstreamed XP x64 and x86.

Well first thing, are you using RAID or not??? If you're not, disable it in the BIOS. And leave it disabled. Because if you enable it (if you install Vista, or Win7), you'll need the RAID and SATA drivers for XP x64 and XP x86 (before you install both). Since XP x86 and x64 dont have any SATA or RAID drivers on the original CD

Thats right, Vista and Win7 installs BASIC SATA drivers (if AHCI is enabled in the BIOS).

You can still ADD the SATA drivers (from the manufacturer's site, during the install of Win7, which may give it more options). You can do this from the Win7 setup, or after Win7 has been installed through device manager. If you jumper the IDE hdd's just make sure you dont jumper 2 of them to slave or master. Or they'll conflict. I would say its the way you've slipstreamed XP x64 and x86.

I think you are still missing the point, the exact same crash occurs when I use an untouched MSDN image. And I believe you are missing my other point as well, I only enabled RAID to test out of it was a configuration issue, and the fact that the Windows 7 installer tells me that I can't install to the IDE drive when the JMicron controller is in IDE mode is confusing. During my normal usage I do leave RAID disabled. Also, I did point out that I had installed all of my controller drivers after 7 setup, the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and the JMicron drivers. Windows 7 installs and runs in a perfectly stable manner.