"80% willing to game with 3D glasses"

ss_preview_3d_glasses_chart.jpg.jpg

Microsoft has dismissed 3D gaming as nothing more than a "science experiment", but according to a new study gamers are well up for the tech.

A whopping 80 per cent of gamers surveyed said they were willing to wear 3D glasses to play videogames, a finding that contradicts the widely held belief that having to wear 3D glasses is the tech's biggest put-off.

The new research from U-Decide Initiative, reported by Industry Gamers, found that interest in 3D climbs without the glasses. But the difference is marked for being smaller than expected. When glasses are no longer necessary, the participation level climbs just 12 per cent. There's a nice graph below.

Interestingly, 65 per cent of those surveyed said they already own a HD telly, and over 35 per cent are looking to buy a 3D telly within the next two years.

The results of the survey will no doubt please Sony ? the PlayStation 3 manufacturer is going big on 3D, and Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 5 is expected to showcase the tech.

It should be noted, however, that U-Decide 2010, which is responsible for the research, was "made possible" by The S-3D Gaming Alliance (S3DGA), Panasonic, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Steelseries, Zalman, Blitz Games Studios, Computer Power User, and Meant to be Seen.

Digging a little deeper, the Initiative's website reveals the methodology behind the survey.

Two surveys, in fact, were conducted. One targeted at traditional 2D gamers who don't yet own S-3D display equipment of their own, the second survey intended for experienced S-3D gamers who own stereoscopic 3D equipment.

"Each respondent was only allowed to complete one of the two surveys, and we took special measures to prevent and remove accidental duplicates," said the company.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-80-percent-willing-to-game-with-3d-glasses

Fascinating, I've owned 3D glasses for my PC for gaming since they first came out almost 10 years ago - Tried them once - put them in a box and never touched them again

Might be because it's 10 year old technology

I wouldnt bring them out of that box either.

Probably cause of prices, there's a Samsung 50" Plasma with 4 pairs of glasses that's been kicking about on the UK deal websites for just over £900 for a few weeks. Christmas should bring about some interesting deals.

Okay, even cheaper

Samsung 40" LCD 3D TV + Bluray Player + 3 Pairs Of Glasses = £734.99

http://www.digital-f...d.php?p=3371735

http://www.electrica...s.php?pid=11309

Probably cause of prices, there's a Samsung 50" Plasma with 4 pairs of glasses that's been kicking about on the UK deal websites for just over ?900 for a few weeks. Christmas should bring about some interesting deals.

Okay, even cheaper

Samsung 40" LCD 3D TV + Bluray Player + 3 Pairs Of Glasses = ?734.99

http://www.digital-f...d.php?p=3371735

http://www.electrica...s.php?pid=11309

That's a good deal. If i wasn't blind in one eye i'd be all about that!

That's a good deal. If i wasn't blind in one eye i'd be all about that!

If I weren't skint same, then I'd sell the Blu Ray player.

However with deals that cheap just now and Christmas around the corner, I would say us techies are best to hold out till December~February.

Are there any cheaper passive 3D TVs? The Sam and Pans seem to be both active.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the difference? I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to TV's, but I've not really read into these terms before.

Why would anyone want to watch/play 3D without the glasses? That's like having 20/100 vision and watching/playing TV without your prescription glasses. You need them in certain scenarios.

I think 3D should stay in theaters. Resident Evil Afterlife was nice and all but it lacked story. I'm not blaming 3D, it's a RE movie thing. You could really tell they were having fun with the bonuses of using 3D.

Why would anyone want to watch/play 3D without the glasses? That's like having 20/100 vision and watching/playing TV without your prescription glasses. You need them in certain scenarios.

I think 3D should stay in theaters. Resident Evil Afterlife was nice and all but it lacked story. I'm not blaming 3D, it's a RE movie thing. You could really tell they were having fun with the bonuses of using 3D.

Either

a) Don't like the look of themselves in the house/around others (most glasses are fairly chunky)

b) Comfort (especially if you're not a current wearer of glasses)

c) Extra expense

Although all the deals seem to be bundling lots of glasses, and Samsung website gives you a free pair if you give them your Samsung TV barcode.

So mostly a/b.

Without a doubt glasses free FTW, but only when it can 1:1 replicate what glasses can do.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the difference? I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to TV's, but I've not really read into these terms before.

AFAIK Passive = Glasses just like the cinema, non powered. Active = Glasses which require power to run.

Thats the basics

AFAIK Passive = Glasses just like the cinema, non powered. Active = Glasses which require power to run.

Thats the basics

So basically with these ones we'll be USB charging them outside of viewing? Guess I could live with that if the operation levels aren't 3 hours. Anyone have any ideas on battery length of glasses? That would greatly impact on any future purchase of mine, regardless of TV pricing.

So basically with these ones we'll be USB charging them outside of viewing? Guess I could live with that if the operation levels aren't 3 hours. Anyone have any ideas on battery length of glasses? That would greatly impact on any future purchase of mine, regardless of TV pricing.

I think thats dependant on manufacturer, most figures I've heard pushed around were around 8 hours or so. I have zero source for this other than discussions with reps in TV stores so take them with a pinch of salt.

http://www.3d-tvbuyingguide.com/3dtv/active-vs-passive-glasses.html for more detail

I wonder how many people who took this survey knew anything about the tech. I bet opinions would change if they saw the price, the viewing angle, the weight of them and the motion sickness effect it gives you trying to focus on multiple planes.