Boy Scouts tell gay leader to take a hike

And why is that ?

Exactly what do you think is going to happen, if your kids were around 'gays' ? :laugh:

I would also like to know this :)

To that question, some people reply "I don't want my kid thinking it's normal." If saltysaltybk replies with that, I'd like to ask him:

1) Why don't you want your kid thinking it's normal, what do you think will happen if he/she decides it's normal?

2) Do you not think your kid can think for himself/herself?

They are a private club but have to abide by human rights laws ... at least here in Canada you could potentially sue for discrimination. I know that is a bit extreme but this news sickens me that there are still people so closed minded they cannot accept someone because of their sexual orientation or beliefs. Pathetic really.

well, people can get banned from organizations because of their food preferences, you know. There are organizations who specifically ban dog-eaters (and nope they don't eat your pet dog, only those dogs specifically bred in farms for meat like cows and chickens), which is really hilarious I guess.

I would also like to know this :)

To that question, some people reply "I don't want my kid thinking it's normal." If saltysaltybk replies with that, I'd like to ask him:

1) Why don't you want your kid thinking it's normal, what do you think will happen if he/she decides it's normal?

2) Do you not think your kid can think for himself/herself?

In answer to part two of your question, should we leave our children with alcoholics and drug abusers also so they can find out first hand about the habit/act and allow them to think for themselves?

In answer to part two of your question, should we leave our children with alcoholics and drug abusers also so they can find out first hand about the habit/act and allow them to think for themselves?

I wouldn't because taking drugs and drinking alcohol, in an addictive fashion, harms one's health. Being a homosexual does not harm one's health any more than being a heterosexual does. So, I ask again, why do they not want their kids around homosexuals, when children should be able to think for themselves?

Drug offenders frequently do give motivational talks to children to encourage them not to drink.

Although, homosexuals aren't really addicted to anything, or in rehabilitation. Long term research has shown children to be no worse of (within the margin of error...the 20 year study actually found children in gay families were better off than their heterosexual equivalents, since homosexuals tended to have more disposable income prior to adoption) in a homosexual environment than in a heterosexual one.

I wouldn't because taking drugs and drinking alcohol, in an addictive fashion, harms one's health. Being a homosexual does not harm one's health any more than being a heterosexual does. So, I ask again, why do they not want their kids around homosexuals, when children should be able to think for themselves?

It's irrelevant of what the activities do. The parents who won't allow their children to do it will reason on the lines of them thinking homosexuality is a deviant activity. To them, homosexuality or drug abuse may as well be on equal level.

It's irrelevant of what the activities do. The parents who won't allow their children to do it will reason on the lines of them thinking homosexuality is a deviant activity. To them, homosexuality or drug abuse may as well be on equal level.

And that is my point :) They are unreasonably exercising blind intolerance.

My biggest issue with this is that the Boy Scouts are

a direct influence on our youth. Same problem I have

with Churches.

There is a huge difference between preference

and tolerance. I choose to tolerate homosexuals because

even though it's not my lifestyle, I understand that I

don't (and shouldn't) have the right to tell them they aren't

allowed it. Whereas homosexuality isn't my preference, and

that was not a choice.

In this case, the Boy Scouts are teaching our kids that being

intolerant to those with a different preference is perfectly

acceptable.

So if you knew a person who didn't want their kids to be around Muslims because this person thought that they where all suicide bombing terrorists, you'd just accept that? somehow I think not. We have a duty in society to educate people out of bigotry not make excuses for it.

So if you knew a person who didn't want their kids to be around Muslims because this person thought that they where all suicide bombing terrorists, you'd just accept that? somehow I think not. We have a duty in society to educate people out of bigotry not make excuses for it.

You'd be wrong then, again.

There are people in society who probably do think like that. Unfortunately, their kids will stay away from Muslims due to their parents. Hopefully they will see the error in their parent's ways when they grow up and have a chance to actually interact with those other people they were stopped from doing so.

In this case, the Boy Scouts are teaching our kids that being

intolerant to those with a different preference is perfectly

acceptable.

I think it's just a reflection of our society as a whole. Many children learn this behavior from their parents. We're not nearly as tolerate of a society as we make out to be.

I think it's just a reflection of our society as a whole. Many children learn this behavior from their parents. We're not nearly as tolerate of a society as we make out to be.

sooooo....homosexuals learn about homosexuality from their straight parents?

The difference is that many kids don't like their parents...

a side product of being a kid. But with the Boy Scouts, these

kids are filled with a sense of comradarie and belonging. Lessons

learned in that environment tend to take a much stronger hold.

why would a gay guy want to be associated anyways? they're very outspoken on "god hates fags" in that org.

Perhaps they wish to try to change the views of the Boy Scouts? It will probably never happen, but anything's worth a try. We can never achieve full equality in society if organisations such as this maintain their intollerant views.

Perhaps they wish to try to change the views of the Boy Scouts? It will probably never happen, but anything's worth a try. We can never achieve full equality in society if organisations such as this maintain their intollerant views.

Why even try? Why not work with the tolerant people to build a better society and let these folks get left behind?

I'm sure all the boys would have become little flaming gays, had this 'leader' not been outed. LOL

I always thought being Gay and an Atheist was an prerequisite to join the scouts anyway so I don't see what their problem is ? :whistle: