.mp3s skipping

Question

madmax1345

Good morning all (well here in San Francisco it is),

Any way several months ago my collection of .mp3's started skipping, not all of them though. I had them all in the My Music folder most were in subfolders but not all, well the ones not in subfolders started skipping but the ones in the subfolders were fine. Not a big problem for me, I had a back up copy so I was ok. Now the same thing has happened to 2 of my friends (with out backups).

Now to my question: Is there a virus that is doing this, if so whats the name, if not what is doing this.

All computers are XP Pro SP1, no recent program installs no recent updates.

Thanks,

madmax1345

11 answers to this question

madmax1345

*bump*

+primortal

could a lot of disk activity cause the skipping or the processor being heavly used by another process?

bangbang023

1) do not bump threads

2) it's most likely skipping under heavy cpu usage

madmax1345

1) Pardon the bump

2) CPU usage is out of the question, my cpu is a 2500 barton, friends are both xp 2000+, on all three computers the cpu usage is about 10% at most.

will check with symantec.

Thanks,

madmax1345

John

you could just run a virus scan if you think it's a virus :huh:

MitchShrader

cannot speak to your issue precisely. HAVE seen skipping with downloaded mp3s , *suspect* these are being downloaded from some type of copy protected (spoofed 'good' dl's?) , and perhaps some interaction with DRM. vagueness incarnate.. will say: used latest CDEX to decode to .wav.. re-encoded with latest CDEX.. skipping vanished. On only two cds worth of dl's.. not sure relevance. but you might TRY it, see what happens.

johngalt

Is the skipping at regular skipping, as in every X amount of time it skips regardless, and is it on *all* the mp3s that are not in subfolders?

Do they all have the same date, or nearly the same date?

Are these all various MP3s or groups - as in you have 5 albums in one directory but only albums 1,3 and 4 skip?

Have you tried separating some of these MP3s into subdirectories to see if they stop skipping?

Have you tried moving them to a different HD?

If you have a burner and a CDRW I would try burning them to CD temporarily, and then seeing if they skip when played from CD.

Finally, Although Mitch might have an idea, I am not so sure it is a good one - un-encoding the mp3s will not give you nearly as good wav files as the originals were, and my understanding is that re-encoding will only cause more loss of quality. Of course, this may not be noticeable to you, but I would make copies of 4-5 random MP3s from the group that are skipping and try it separately before you go out and do it completely on all of them.

madmax1345

The .mp3's played fine until one day they just started skipping. The skipping only happens on the files not in subfolders and is consitant on each (not every 5 seconds but skips multiple times everytime played). The files I had were not dl'd but ripped from the originals with different dates. I have tried different directories and on different HD's. Have burned them (.wav, .mp3, and .wma) still with skipping on the cd's. I will have my friend un-encode and re-encode them, I hope this will work. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks

Madmax1345

John

you can always rip them again. it would take a while, but you might not get an answer in the amount of time it takes to rip them again.

johngalt

I'd have to agree - and I think that ripping them will probably take less time than unencoding and re-encoding them.

Unless you're CD ROM/RW rips at a really slow rate....