• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[UK] Finding a new Television

JMann    2

Hi everyone,

My old 26" LCD TV is slowly dying, so I am going to take the jump and upgrade but since my last purchase, things have changed a lot! I've read some threads in this forum, and LED seems to be the way to go with my budget which is between ?500 - ?600 - would you agree? Is LED better than LCD now?

I've written up a small list of requirements that I am keen to have on the new TV, like 32" / Freeview HD / 1080p / Internet Enabled if possible. So on that basis I had a look on Amazon, and found a Samsung and LG which I thought looked decent:

LG-32LE5900

Samsung-UE32C5100

I then went in to some shops, and managed to look at the Samsung which was nice but I couldn't see the LG as neither store stocked that television. I've had a look on the LG website, the main difference with the LG is that it uses the Edge LED technology which isn't quite as good? To me it's a lot of money to buy something online that I cannot see before buying it. :pinch:

Does any one else have any other suggestions / recommendations? All the other things like Hertz, MS response, Contrast Ratio's are just confusing me - it's hard to know what is decent, and what is utter rubbish!

Thanks for any help.

Dark_ph0enix    13

I'm looking at replacing my old(ish) main TV with the Samsung you linked to, so yeah - if anyone has any info, especially about the Samsung, I'd like to know as well (Y)

Marshall    15,357

If you're going to go with LED I would wait a little while until OLED's are mainstream. OLED's will blow away plasma's in picture quality plus double the lifetime of them. If you can't wait that long I'd say both of those tv's are nice choices.

I currently own a 50" LG LCD and couldn't be more than happy with it. It is full 1080p, internet ready, and two usb ports. Picutre quality is excellant.

JMann    2

I would like to go with OLED, but considering my current TV is nearly dead I don't think it will last the wait time plus I doubt my budget would be large enough. I've done some more research and people seem to prefer LG for the smaller sized televisions than Samsung. Can anyone enlighten me with the differences between these two LGs?

LG 32LE7900

LG 32LE5900

Also they use Edge LED lighting, is that still good? Sorry with all these questions. :p

Marshall    15,357

I believe the "Infinia" line (the top link) are the LG's that are 3d ready.

When it comes to Edgelit it is basically the standard in LED tv's. Backlit LED's will provide a better picture quality (Better black levels) than edgelit. Now is a backlit LED worth the price increase over an edgelit LED? It's a matter of opinion and in my opinion I'd stick with the edgelit. You'll see a noticeable increase in picture quality with a backlit LED but not worth the price tag, IMHO.

mulligan2k    211

ive got a 32" lcd lg tv, had it about 3 or 4 years so its prob a couple of models below your make. ive not had any problems with it, and sky hd looks great to me on it!

+Ely    213

Think 3D :yes:

+Human.Online    8,268

3D tv is not any sort of agreed spec yet, give it a few years and the glasses will go, so I disagree with Ely!

JMann    2

Thanks everyone, great help.

I'm not bothered about a television been 3D ready, as I doubt I will ever actually use that feature. However I have done some more research thanks to your information between the Edge and Backlit LEDs, and am now more tempted to pay the little extra and get the LG32LE7900 as according to it's image, it's full LED.

Just hoping I am making the right choice. ;)

Sir Topham Hatt    268

I love LG products.

I am never disappointed with anything LG I have bought and what makes them great is intuitive menus and the fact you can TURN IT OFF COMPLETLY. The physical on/off button on my TV is in a great position and the LG DVD/HDD recorder I have has a "i am completly off when you turn me off" option, no such thing as standby :p

Kerm    51

Never been a huge fan of LG as far as TV's are concerned, Pioneer & Panasonic are my preference.

But quite aside from that, whatever you decide to go for make sure you give this palce a quick check first;

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/

I got my Panasonic 37" a few years back from them and they were massively undercutting everybody else.

I used to work for Panasonic and at the time that website had deals that weren't much above cost price for our stock. No idea how they made any profit.

WelshBluebird    95

Aren't "LED TV's" actually LCD panels that are LED backlit? Aka not actually an LED screen?

While OLED TV's do actually use OLED's for the display?