Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8.0 final

Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8

Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8 provides real-time collaboration between people in different locations. You can use instant messaging and audio and video calls to communicate with your contacts.

You can sign in to Messenger for Mac 8 by using a Windows Live ID. Windows Live IDs include all e-mail accounts ending in "@live.com", "@hotmail.com", "@msn.com" and other accounts registered with Windows Live.

Released: Sunday, October 24, 2010

.dmg file size: 24mb

Download: Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8.0

Thanks for the heads up :) Messenger Mac 8 is soooo much better then 7, I've actually ditched Adium and gone back to Messenger now :) Granted it's still light years behind the Windows client, but I find is heaps better then the abomination that was Messenger Mac 7 (hence why I switched to Adium in the first place).

Adium users: will this make you switch?

Doesn't support AIM and GTalk in the same UI, so no. :) Might use it for video calls with friends when needed, though.

Not me. I chat using multiple protocols (MSN, AIM, ICQ, FB, MM) so having a single client like Adium works better.

Thanks for the heads up :) Messenger Mac 8 is soooo much better then 7, I've actually ditched Adium and gone back to Messenger now :) Granted it's still light years behind the Windows client, but I find is heaps better then the abomination that was Messenger Mac 7 (hence why I switched to Adium in the first place).

Beyond added A/V support nothing fundamentally changed from version 7. So in what way exactly is version 8 heaps better and less of an abomination?

The GUI of the video conversations is one of the most atrocious I?ve ever seen. The screen estate stolen by this is undeniable, because your contact steals a lot of vertical space while your picture steals it horizontally.

What kind of developers do they have working at Microsoft ? blink.gif

Beyond added A/V support nothing fundamentally changed from version 7. So in what way exactly is version 8 heaps better and less of an abomination?

Well it actually works better then 7, I had nothing but troubles with it. I had sign in problems, it would screw up my buddy list and make all the contacts on it unremovable (that was annoying because it would add back on contacts I deleted years ago but wouldn't let me remove them again) and very sluggish....8 just works.

EDIT: Plus it looks prettier :p I know atheistic aren't really important but I like my apps to look good :p just personal preference.

Yep, already have. I don't need a multi-protocol client, just need Messenger. However, If I needed a multi-protocol client I would of stuck with Adium though.

for some reasons on my mac msn 8 crashes after roughly 1 minute after running.

i can login, see people coming online, the crash. i've roughly 600 contacts (work mainly).

tried to delete the pref. file and the configuration, but still crashes...

It's as bad as any other Messenger's from Microsoft for the Mac. Clunky, bloated and doesn't even support multiple user logins like the Windows client does. Adium is my favorite.

EDIT: Plus it looks prettier :p I know atheistic aren't really important but I like my apps to look good :p just personal preference.

Microsoft apparently still didn't get the memo that windows aren't supposed to have borders anymore in Mac OS X. I can't stand the bulky IM window. No new emoticons either, as seen in the Windows and iPhone version.

Microsoft apparently still didn't get the memo that windows aren't supposed to have borders anymore in Mac OS X. I can't stand the bulky IM window. No new emoticons either, as seen in the Windows and iPhone version.

Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8.0 final

Now there's a bad product version naming scheme. So they don't support Mac OS 9.0 or OSX then? ;)

Now there's a bad product version naming scheme. So they don't support Mac OS 9.0 or OSX then? ;)

It would have been a bad idea if they called it "Messenger for Mac OS 8.0". "Mac 8.0" without the "OS" part has no meaning.

Does this one actually let you change your display picture now? :p

Nope :(

It always did. blink.gif

Neither on 7 nor 8 have i been able to change the picture, annoying as hell

If i install messenger 6, i can change the picture, if i update messenger 7 over the top, i can change the picture, yet if i update over that with 8 or install 8 fresh no picture change, i know this was a known issue in the beta, but you would have thought they would have sorted it out by now

If i install messenger 6, i can change the picture, if i update messenger 7 over the top, i can change the picture, yet if i update over that with 8 or install 8 fresh no picture change, i know this was a known issue in the beta, but you would have thought they would have sorted it out by now

Try resetting it using AppZapper (to make sure all the settings and such are properly wiped out). Also try repairing your permissions. If that doesn't fix it, uhm... you might have a problem.

Try resetting it using AppZapper (to make sure all the settings and such are properly wiped out). Also try repairing your permissions. If that doesn't fix it, uhm... you might have a problem.

Messenger 8 was installed on a fresh install of 10.6.4, will grab appzapper and see if it helps along with the other things you suggest :)