Ubuntu moves away from GNOME

Farstrider

Still used nautilus and gconf, gedit, gnome-terminal and seahorse and all of the other gnome crap - it's still gnome. Isn't that what Canonical do, 90% somebody else's codebase and 10% Canonical and then take all of the glory?

No matter how you look at it, all you can do as an Linux user, without reservation, is to say thanks to Ubuntu (Debian as well) for sparking a renewed interest in getting the message across to new and old users alike!

Arch Linux is a GNU/Linux distribution that, while independent of CRUX, drew inspiration from the minimalist philosophy on which it and other distributions are built.

I think it would suffice to say that all Linux distributions draw inspiration from each other and there is no such thing as "taking the glory"! In my book anyway!

Solid Knight

I don't really see what you're getting at. When you need corporate level support, you pay for corporate level support. Linux is free, open source software, it's not magic, the organizations and people involved do still have to make money some how, and providing support is a very good way.

You never HAVE to pay for support though.

He wasn't talking about that kind of support. He was referring to how the large and most relevant projects rely on corporate money.

• 2 weeks later...
bjoswald

He wasn't talking about that kind of support. He was referring to how the large and most relevant projects rely on corporate money.

I'd rather have huge corporations throw money at them than spend my own money to fund Canonical's Unity experiments. ;)

EDIT: Red Hat earns enough money through their Enterprise software to fund their own work. Look at Fedora: it's wonderful.

I'd rather have huge corporations throw money at them than spend my own money to fund Canonical's Unity experiments. ;)

EDIT: Red Hat earns enough money through their Enterprise software to fund their own work. Look at Fedora: it's wonderful.

Exactly - Red Hat/Fedora, it's mostly their code base and look how much they contribute upstream/kernel patches, a huge amount. Canonical, well, for a start as I mentioned before 90% of their base is Debian and they contribute very little upstream yet still make a pretty penny supporting their enterprise customers.

As for being thankful to Ubuntu, well, considering the general public now think Linux = Gnome and Ubuntu fluff, the sheer amount of crap and misinformation about Linux it has resulted in, including stuff in this very post, even the topic title - I'm not as thankful as most, **** gets old fast. There is a massive amount of window managers and distributions to choose from, and how many are in Neowin's screenshot thread? Again, it's 99% Ubuntu/Gnome, sorry I don't think that's a good thing considering Linux is a framework with almost unlimited possibility and it's reduced down to bloody Gnome, ack!

Edit/tl;dr

I don't like Ubuntu, I don't like what it represents, and I don't see why I should be thankful for it - and one last thing, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/Skeak1qBGyI/AAAAAAAAAeM/3k_ntrDWmOw/s1600-h/ubuntu.png

+Majesticmerc

Exactly - Red Hat/Fedora, it's mostly their code base and look how much they contribute upstream/kernel patches, a huge amount. Canonical, well, for a start as I mentioned before 90% of their base is Debian and they contribute very little upstream yet still make a pretty penny supporting their enterprise customers.

As for being thankful to Ubuntu, well, considering the general public now think Linux = Gnome and Ubuntu fluff, the sheer amount of crap and misinformation about Linux it has resulted in, including stuff in this very post, even the topic title - I'm not as thankful as most, **** gets old fast. There is a massive amount of window managers and distributions to choose from, and how many are in Neowin's screenshot thread? Again, it's 99% Ubuntu/Gnome, sorry I don't think that's a good thing considering Linux is a framework with almost unlimited possibility and it's reduced down to bloody Gnome, ack!

Edit/tl;dr

I don't like Ubuntu, I don't like what it represents, and I don't see why I should be thankful for it - and one last thing, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rbeqbj-n1Z0/Skeak1qBGyI/AAAAAAAAAeM/3k_ntrDWmOw/s1600-h/ubuntu.png

That stinks of the elitist crap that Linux hackers have been spouting for years. I'll admit, I'm an Ubuntu/GNOME User, but why do I have to take crap from the self-proclaimed pros just because I want to get on with being productive and not have to spend hours getting my hands dirty with command line tricks and "optimizations"? Ubuntu did this for me, and it just lets me get **** done (mostly).

One of the things that Ubuntu HAS done is make Linux perceivable as a desktop operating system for everyone, and while others are equally viable, Ubuntu eases the learning curve for many Linux newbies, myself included. The massive community support structure around Ubuntu makes it easy to get issues resolved through Google, and the popularization of Gnome has given Linux something that it desparately needed for acceptance: a face.

When most people think of Linux, they think of Gnome, and in my opinion, that's OK. Much the same way that people think of Windows as Aero, and people think of OSX as Aqua, Gnome is representative of Linux appearance for many people. The great thing about Linux over Windows or OSX however is that we do get the choice to switch away from Gnome or Ubuntu if we so choose, and that's great, but offering so much choice initially makes Linux confusing and unappealing to newbies (ever notice that cars aren't available in 16 million colours?). Everyone has to start somewhere, so why not Ubuntu and Gnome?

Yes, the domination of Ubuntu and Gnome has made life hard for those offering alternatives, but at the same time I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

That's just my $0.02, feel free to disagree :).

EDIT: I see your Demotivator, and I call: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1367/1143260643_00281226ef.jpg

• Like 2
remixedcat

Meh. I like GNOME. This sucks.

• Like 1
Syanide

Haha, 08933 is angry Ubuntu has succeded where every other distro failed. Seriously dawg, what did you expect? That there was a chance they'd get big and keep complying with wishes of a million angry nerds? Ubuntu knows its place, and more importantly, it has an idea of its place in the future. Kudos to them.

Disclaimer: I'm not even running Ubuntu atm.

Meh I don't mean to be a distro troll, I usually keep my mouth shut, but I've been coming to Neowin since 2001 and it's habit to have a daily/bi-daily check of the forums but the linux forums here are 99% Ubuntu and misinformation.

I think I'll leave you guys to it, enjoy! :)

Syanide

But what do you expect on a Windows forum, seriously? That Windows users would jump to Arch straight away? Ubuntu is the first step, and yeah, that first step is a baby step. Nothing wrong with that.

Look what you have on the other hand:

http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora_Artwork/Banners/freedom-poster.png

Fedora couldn't convince a thirsty man to drink their water.

EDIT: Hahaha, they changed the slogan. THANK GOD. It said "Freedom Over Convenience" originally.

+Majesticmerc

Meh I don't mean to be a distro troll, I usually keep my mouth shut, but I've been coming to Neowin since 2001 and it's habit to have a daily/bi-daily check of the forums but the linux forums here are 99% Ubuntu and misinformation.

I think I'll leave you guys to it, enjoy! :)

I didn't mean to offend, or drive you away from posting, quite the opposite. If you took offence, I apologise wholeheartedly. After all, Linux users have to stick together, we're not the popular kids here on Neowin :p. I agree that Ubuntu's status as the "default Linux" has brought misinformation about Linux and disillusionment about what Linux and its ecosystem actually is, but you can't dismiss it altogether just because it's the starter kit of Linux distros. I consider myself a pretty advanced PC user, but Ubuntu still works for me and many others. That's not to say that I'll stay with it forever though, since after all, choice and freedom is exactly what Linux is all about. You can't just expect us all to be epic source-compiling rockstars off the bat :).

.Neo
"Freedom Over Convenience"

At least they are being realistic.

Syanide

At least they are being realistic.

Hahaha true dat.

Flashlite

Very interesting. Ubuntu is really starting to set themselves apart from the other Distros.

What about all the Ubuntu forks?

hougtimo

Hello chaps.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here. I'm traditionally a Windows user however I have run various Linux distros for a significant amount of time and I'm probably spending more time in Ubuntu that Windows at the moment. I'm running Alpha 2 of 11.04 upgraded to the latest daily.

To be honest I really liked the gnome desktop. I didn't particularly want a desktop that was 'easy' as I'm more than happy tinkering around with config files and the terminal, but Gnome just ticked all the right boxes for me and can be configured to look very nice indeed. I guess that aesthetics are rather important to me when using my computer.

One thing that I've always felt is that there is very little difference between the main distros. I could boot any up and I'd have the same apps and the same look (generally either KDE or Gnome). Of course I could configure any distribution how I wanted and I guess that's exactly what Linux is all about. This is why I don't get all this "distro snobbery" - it's silly!

I really like the way Ubuntu is going - with the apps they're including and with the feel they're going for. Linux has never felt very polished to me. This has begun to change a lot recently and the distro I noticed the changes coming to first was Ubuntu. I had gripes with graphical glitches with GTK themes and also I was never keen on the font rendering. The build of 11.04 I'm running at the moment seems to rectify all of these points. For the first time it's bringing a new and interesting interface to Linux and a damned well built one at that (with regards to graphics - don't pull me up on stability yet - it's still alpha).

My 2p.

While I'm ranting it amuses me so much that Linux 'geeks' (for want of a better word) historically (I'm going back from about 7-8 years here) would moan about people who used / liked "W1ndowzeeee" but whenever users asked for help or asked about an easy-to-use distro the 'geeks' would immediately start with the "Linux shouldn't be user friendly" routine.

Odd. Just odd.

Growled

What about all the Ubuntu forks?

They'll have to fend for themselves. Mint has said they are not going with Unity but they are planning on keeping their current look, although they aren't sure yet how they are going to accomplish it.