The Universe

Hi All!

This thread is dedicated to the Universe!

Please share quality scientific material about the Universe here to discuss, to gain more knowledge, and to entertain ourselves :fun:

I'll start off with a few videos :)

Cheers All! :alien:

Sweet videos.

This thread seems like a good place to ask if someone has a link to an image I saw on here a while back. The image was of several panels side by side that first depicted the planets' size in relation to the Sun. Then the solar system's size in relation to the closest star, then the Milk Way (I think). Then the Sun compared to another Star, and then that Star to an even bigger star, etc, etc... Does anyone know which image I'm talking about? I've been looking for it for months but can't find it.

Yea was going tonsay about the series on netflix, but blahism beat me to it,,,lol.

But I'll add to it and say it's an awesome series

Thanks Lovell and SCRISP. Those are similar to what I was looking for. I think the gif that you linked SCRISP is the same image I saw, only as a slide show. Thank you both. (Y) (Y)

I love this kind of stuff. Just getting your head around the sizes of things, it's a complete head ****. I just hope we manage to do something like communicate with life from another solar system or colonise Mars within my lifetime, but I cant see it happening.

Last night i was watching a show on the science channel made in 2010 about our milkyway galaxy. They said that the galaxy is almost as old as the universe. 12. some billion years and that they were suprised as to why it still contains gas. The answer for this is that there are "Micro" galaxies that are on the outskirts of our galaxy that rotate around and get pulled in by our galaxies gravitational pull. The milkyway devours the stars from the micro galaxies and that is why our galaxy is still producing more stars after so long.

The program said that the galaxy will continue to stay bright for QUITE some time.

Last night i was watching a show on the science channel made in 2010 about our milkyway galaxy. They said that the galaxy is almost as old as the universe. 12. some billion years and that they were suprised as to why it still contains gas. The answer for this is that there are "Micro" galaxies that are on the outskirts of our galaxy that rotate around and get pulled in by our galaxies gravitational pull. The milkyway devours the stars from the micro galaxies and that is why our galaxy is still producing more stars after so long.

The program said that the galaxy will continue to stay bright for QUITE some time.

Take note of the following:

hyhel.gif

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. which makes up a majority of galaxies, even intergalactic space ( between galaxies), diffuse atoms of hydrogen are still about.

Awesome. Think ive pretty much seen every episode of the Universe, plus hundreds of other documentaries, its all i watch i am hooked.

Planktime always gets me, ridiculous how short amount of time that is.. You can split 1 second into more planktimes than there ever has been seconds the entire universe (if you go by earth seconds). Amazing.

Planck Time is very interesting, so is Planck Distances etc. Since Planck Time is actually the measurement of the time it takes light to travel 1 Planck length in a vacuum, it's mind bending how many Planck "seconds" there have been in just the last hour :D

But I still love the Yottasecond! That's only 32 quadrillion years or so :p

Or how I'm only just barely older than 1 gigasecond. (32 years, I'm 34)

Tee hee, I love this stuff.

Thanks Lovell and SCRISP. Those are similar to what I was looking for. I think the gif that you linked SCRISP is the same image I saw, only as a slide show. Thank you both. (Y) (Y)

Our_Solar_System.gif

I'm pretty sure the reason there is gas everywhere is because of supernovae. If galaxies are made up of billions of stars, and most stars (we think) only last for about 5 to 10 billion years, then our galaxy alone has had millions upon millions of stars explode since it has existed. It's not really all that surprising to find gas and dust everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Universe" TV Show by History channel (All four seasons) are great to learn about Universe. Have you seen them?

:yes: brilliant shows, so interesting about how small a part we actually are.

"The Universe" TV Show by History channel (All four seasons) are great to learn about Universe. Have you seen them?

I was on a Universe marathon not long ago, 5 series in about 3 weeks, amazing!

And a small part is a MAAAHHHOOOSIVE understatment!

hmm, turns out I was thinking you meant stephen hawkings universe, and I don't think I have seen many of these, I certainly haven't seen all 5 series. I don't know if we are allowed to discuss such things, but do you guys know where I could get a copy (preferable free ;) ) of series 1/2/3 I have found series 4 and 5.

hmm, turns out I was thinking you meant stephen hawkings universe, and I don't think I have seen many of these, I certainly haven't seen all 5 series. I don't know if we are allowed to discuss such things, but do you guys know where I could get a copy (preferable free ;) ) of series 1/2/3 I have found series 4 and 5.

Also a brilliant programme ;)

Yeah, it's a great show. The fifth season is on ;)

btw, guys, since the Earth is part of the Universe, this thread is pretty much open to anything...scientifically studied and naturally occurring :rofl:

Speaking about the shows and the Earth, The BBC Planet Earth series is probably my favourite :)

btw, guys, since the Earth is part of the Universe, this thread is pretty much open to anything...scientific and naturally occurring :rofl:

true, but I think this thread is aimed more at things outside of our solar system. At least that's how I took it.

true, but I think this thread is aimed more at things outside of our solar system. At least that's how I took it.

Well, yeah, the cosmic intergalactic stuff is what interests me the most too here, but what I've meant to say is that if something posted here describes something which is part of the Universe, then it, the subject, is about the Universe.

I don't know if it makes sense, but here's another YouTube video :)