Rollercoasters

I heart Oblivion at Alton Towers, basically cos it ALWAYS breaks down. It's freaking unreliable, and been on it twice when it did. I found it quite amusing to be fair.

Favourite theme park is now closed though... Boardwalk & Baseball in Orlando.

I heart Oblivion at Alton Towers, basically cos it ALWAYS breaks down. It's freaking unreliable, and been on it twice when it did. I found it quite amusing to be fair.

Favourite theme park is now closed though... Boardwalk & Baseball in Orlando.

Nah, Air is more unreliable than Oblivion :p

Here's something of interest.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20110211/3126/depth-thorpe-park-reveals-plans-lc12-bm-winger-rider-rollercoaster-2012

Thorpe Park has released the plans for its planned new rollercoaster for 2012, which reveal that it will be a B&M Wing Rider model featuring a "crash site" theme...

Looks awesome. :D

the maverick is filled w/ twists and turns :huh:

Cedar Point still has the best coasters (collectively) in the world :happy:

Not the kind I'm talking about. It's also filled with bunny hills, and that first deep drop. I'm talking about coasters like the Corkscrew, or even the Raptor or Mantis. Rides where the entire attraction (aside from hanging and standing on the latter two) are the loops and twists--no real drops or hills or speed to speak of.

Also at Cedar Point, OH

To me, the Dragster is okay if there isn't a huge wait. It's not worth waiting any longer than 15-20 minutes for. Although I think I'd enjoy it more if I could be on one of the trains that don't make it over.

Well, I be heading to Alton Towers tomorrow, and it seems a reasonable amount of things are closed.

Katanga Canyon

All Water Rides

Sonic Spinball (Spinball Whizzer)

The majority of the X Sector

Dark Forest

I think that is all.

Love Alton Towers - one of my favourite places!!

Oblivion always gets me - i always want to get off once it starts going up!! :-D

I missed out on a lot when I was in Vegas, but managed to go on The Big Shot. Have also been on a few UK ones, but none of the newer ones.

Well, I be heading to Alton Towers tomorrow, and it seems a reasonable amount of things are closed.

Katanga Canyon

All Water Rides

Sonic Spinball (Spinball Whizzer)

The majority of the X Sector

Dark Forest

I think that is all.

After visiting yesterday, we found that Sonic Spinball was open, Enterprise had been taken apart and a few other things. Majority of the above was right, Skyride was closed, Monorail was closed too. As was Ripsaw.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for Storm Surge tomorrow at Thorpe Park! :D

Edit: So an update here, Thorpe Park had to issue a formal statement apologising for the events on the 13 March 2011. Basically they got 4x as many people as they expected, and then with a lot of food outlets being closed and rides just opening after the winter it resulted in a few rides breaking down occasionally. Generally it didn't go well for them.

Personally our experience was great except for the waiting for the food, but didn't bother queueing for Storm Surge as it didn't seem worth waiting ~ 2 hours. Plus it isn't themed all that well and just looks like it was plonked there.

• 1 month later...

My favourites are easily The Pepsi Max Big One (Blackpool, UK & still the tallest coaster in the world to my knowledge) and Nemesis (Alton Towers, UK) you can get on both of them for free with a day pass. The UK has by far the best coasters

Looks like the American coasters out-size the smaller ones we have in the UK. Oblivion is a personal favorite though, it stops just as your about to go down the drop :|

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta say, not the most thrilling ride ever but the Harry Potter ride at Universal is astounding. Seated on a robot arm which is in turn on a track! Awesome range of movement available.

thunderhawk1.jpg

ThunderHawk (used to be the Coaster) at Dorney Park, outside of Philly. Built in 1923, with Grand Mom Dorney's house in the middle, it was awesome. She loved to cook, and would make sauerkraut almost every day, and was the good old strong German type. Riding the coaster and hitting a wall of aroma from her cooking added to the experience.

We used to live at the park, on the weekends, and were gooFriendsds with the Dorney.

There is an iMAX movie about the coaster, which i was lucky enough to help shoot. The camera guy keep getting sick from the smell of food cooking and I held the longest ride record, (several times riding it over 100 times in a weekend).

I understand the the house is still there, but no one is cooking anymore.

Hey,

For me i don't really like rollercosters, I have a bad fear of heights. For me I'd rather go on water slides all day long, and the views at the water parks.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty cool footage from a coaster that's been a long time in development, from CoasterForce:

It's been five years in the making...and it's still not ready to rumble! However, Knoebels have posted a Point of View (POV) video of the ride using a prototype chassis on their YouTube channel!

This unique wooden bobsled rollercoaster has been dogged with construction problems, such as re-tracking the entire ride and changing the trains. Several weeks ago, the park's co-owner gave enthusiasts a glimmer of hope by saying he was determined to open the 24mph coaster later this season.

A message in the YouTube video, embedded to the right, states it is unlikely that Flying Turns will open this year. Never mind, at least we can see what we're missing!