Fusion OS

For reals, I thought Linux Mint was promising to bring a "sane" gnome shell experience but their desktop looks really inconsistent and busy, this looks way, way nicer.

In the other thread you called that busy mess "shiny and elegant".

In the other thread you called that busy mess "shiny and elegant".

That was copy/pasted from the Linux Mint blog, I just didn't like how the formatting turned up with the quote block so I removed it. IMO it's busy and very inconsistent.

Here is the latest screenshot as promised. You can see that we are working on the bottom taskbar, which is based on DockBarX, and will be themed extensivley so that there are no inconsistencies between it and Gnome Shell. We are going to implement it as deeply as possible but also make it easy to turn off if you dont want to use it. By the way we have gained speed and responsivness even through the transition from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, even over the Gnome 2 based RC1. As you can imagine RC1 is now going to be an even larger jump for Fusion than previously stated. Please keep your suggestions coming! If you want to see something please let us know!

Looks nice, I really have no complaints about the UI this time.

That was copy/pasted from the Linux Mint blog, I just didn't like how the formatting turned up with the quote block so I removed it. IMO it's busy and very inconsistent.

Ah okay, because of the lacking quotes I though it was your personal opinion... :laugh:

The best looking Gnome Shell desktop I've seen so far. For reals, I thought Linux Mint was promising to bring a "sane" gnome shell experience but their desktop looks really inconsistent and busy, this looks way, way nicer.

I had to dump Linux for the time being since I'm having a regression with my wifi card and it won't work (grrr), but I'll be glad to test this in VirtualBox when it comes out. Keep up the work, I was skeptical during the Gnome 2 days of Fusion OS, but this is starting to shape up really nicely.

btw, that last screenshot looks beautiful, you guys have made some great progress on the gnome 3 shell in such a short amount of time, keep up the good work :)

Fusion is lookin nice.

good job :D

Looks nice, I really have no complaints about the UI this time.

Thanks so much for the positive comments. Its comments like these that makes us keep doing what were doing. We really really appreciate your comments! :D

11/23/11 Update

Everything is going well the things we are problems we are having / working on:

- Top Panel corners do not blend in they slightly stick out because they aren't transparent like the rest of the panel.

- Disabling / Moving everything from the message tray to the top panel. We may not be able to disable this altogether, but we could consider making it align with the look of DBX. (Maybe have a notification slide in from the right and then slide back out after a few seconds.)

- We are working very hard on stability and speed and even though it is early in the development with Gnome Shell it is suprisingly very stable, and we have tweaked quite a few things to make it very snappy, and fast.

Thats about it for now, I think I may do these updates every few days just to keep everyone updated on whats going on! Thanks again for your replies, and support.

- Keith.

- Disabling / Moving everything from the message tray to the top panel. We may not be able to disable this altogether, but we could consider making it align with the look of DBX. (Maybe have a notification slide in from the right and then slide back out after a few seconds.)

I say go with something like this, as it's good use for otherwise unused space :)

I just saw the latest screenshots of the final linux mint 12, and I gotta say your version is looking much better than their sloppy execution. :)

http://www.zdnet.co....maker-10024867/

Look at that lol, top and bottom bar have totally different themes, icon theme doesn't even properly support gnome-shell (no symbolic icons in system tray)

Fusion looks nice and consistent, and should be a good fit for the people that want gnome-shell, but with a more classic layout.

• 2 weeks later...

12-4-2011 - IMPORTANT UPDATE

Hey Everyone,

Everything is going very well and we are making remarkabley great progress. What I am going to talk about today is Open Source. As you know Fusion OS is based on Ubuntu which is open source. Ubuntu is licenced lo0l241under the GNU General Public License, Open source which requires us to make our source code feely available also. So I want to assure you that we will release the source code. However what you may not know is that you already have the source code. Fusion OS is a remastersys distro. This makes it much easier for us to work on Fusion in real time with a working system. Basically we started with a clean install Ubuntu Minimal which is a command line and we built it with packages from there, so all the basic source code for Fusion is already available. Then we create the graphics and other things and customize the applications with our grpahics and themes to create a clean unified UI. We only modify the config files of many applications. There are very few applications that we have to build from source. We have been getting a lot of hate and harrasment over this source code issue, so I thought I would explain it. So to clear this up there is no real "source" for Fusion. What you have is what we develop on. All of the source code is already availbe for Fusion from the various projects used in Fusion. Such as: Gnome, Libre Office, Evolution, Chromium, etc. I hope this clears up any problems. If not im not sure what we will have to do next. If this becomes to much of a hassle is could result in the projects end. We are trying to create a simple, cleaned up, beautiful verision of Linux. Its that simple. So if there is any questions please post them below and I will do my best to answer them for you.

- Keith.

Hello everyone,

Its with a heavy heart that I write this update today. The Fusion OS project has been ended. I am so sad that we didn't get to achieve our goals. The reason is becaus of harrasment and threats we have been getting over the source code which I as I explained above has already been released. So to avoid any conflicts I have to end the project today. I and the rest of the team still have a great passion for Linux and Open Source software and this will not be the last you hear from us.

Sorry and thanks for reading.

- Keith.

Hello everyone,

Its with a heavy heart that I write this update today. The Fusion OS project has been ended. I am so sad that we didn't get to achieve our goals. The reason is becaus of harrasment and threats we have been getting over the source code which I as I explained above has already been released. So to avoid any conflicts I have to end the project today. I and the rest of the team still have a great passion for Linux and Open Source software and this will not be the last you hear from us.

- Keith.

*******... What's next? WhateverthehellnamewecanthinkofOS? Alpha, Beta, RC, then quit because of "threats"? Give me a break. Lame excuses.

Bring back Fusion OS - I was just about to download it , then it turns out its ended. So what if there is no real source code.

Anyone got any mirrors for Fusion OS?

12-4-2011 - IMPORTANT UPDATE

Hey Everyone,

Everything is going very well and we are making remarkabley great progress. What I am going to talk about today is Open Source. As you know Fusion OS is based on Ubuntu which is open source. Ubuntu is licenced lo0l241under the GNU General Public License, Open source which requires us to make our source code feely available also. So I want to assure you that we will release the source code. However what you may not know is that you already have the source code. Fusion OS is a remastersys distro. This makes it much easier for us to work on Fusion in real time with a working system. Basically we started with a clean install Ubuntu Minimal which is a command line and we built it with packages from there, so all the basic source code for Fusion is already available. Then we create the graphics and other things and customize the applications with our grpahics and themes to create a clean unified UI. We only modify the config files of many applications. There are very few applications that we have to build from source. We have been getting a lot of hate and harrasment over this source code issue, so I thought I would explain it. So to clear this up there is no real "source" for Fusion. What you have is what we develop on. All of the source code is already availbe for Fusion from the various projects used in Fusion. Such as: Gnome, Libre Office, Evolution, Chromium, etc. I hope this clears up any problems. If not im not sure what we will have to do next. If this becomes to much of a hassle is could result in the projects end. We are trying to create a simple, cleaned up, beautiful verision of Linux. Its that simple. So if there is any questions please post them below and I will do my best to answer them for you.

- Keith.

Hello everyone,

- Keith.

So why not just release the code?. The fact that it may already be out there is unimportant. Release what you have as source code and silence the haters.

Hey Guys,

I want you to know that I am looking into a way that we can comply with the license requirements to relase the source code. But if you know how remastersys works, then you will know why this is almost impossible. With remastersys you are working on a live system and the code is already compiled so we rarely ever work with "source" code. I may just release the un-built iso of Fusion OS Beta 3, which would contain our development files (which are almost all in the OS anyway). I will keep you posted. I want to find ANY way possible of keeping the project alive, I love doing this and so do the others on the team we truly do have a passion for this. Bythe way people asking about what threats were made:

Reporting to GNU (apprently a few times, however I have never been contacted by them.)

The emails I am getting from people are very negative and they really just seem to be trying to shut down the project any way they can. People like this are really what stops innovation, and what stops Linux from having a larger market share.

- Keith.

Listen dude I have been fallowing this **** from the get go... It is sexy hot and sexy... Did I say sexy? I want a stable beta with these changes NOW! :rofl:

God speed.......

Hey Guys,

I want you to know that I am looking into a way that we can comply with the license requirements to relase the source code. But if you know how remastersys works, then you will know why this is almost impossible. With remastersys you are working on a live system and the code is already compiled so we rarely ever work with "source" code. I may just release the un-built iso of Fusion OS Beta 3, which would contain our development files (which are almost all in the OS anyway). I will keep you posted. I want to find ANY way possible of keeping the project alive, I love doing this and so do the others on the team we truly do have a passion for this. Bythe way people asking about what threats were made:

Reporting to GNU (apprently a few times, however I have never been contacted by them.)

The emails I am getting from people are very negative and they really just seem to be trying to shut down the project any way they can. People like this are really what stops innovation, and what stops Linux from having a larger market share.

- Keith.

So I'm more or less playing devil's advocate here.

You were never using the Open Source source code, you were using some pre-compiled form of an OS with a 3rd party app that allowed you to make changes and never realized this was going to be a problem?

So I'm more or less playing devil's advocate here.

You were never using the Open Source source code, you were using some pre-compiled form of an OS with a 3rd party app that allowed you to make changes and never realized this was going to be a problem?

No, we did compile it and all look into Ubuntu Minimal 11.10 thats the base.

No, we did compile it and all look into Ubuntu Minimal 11.10 thats the base.

So what does this comment mean then, in your post

But if you know how remastersys works, then you will know why this is almost impossible. With remastersys you are working on a live system and the code is already compiled so we rarely ever work with "source" code.

Anyone got any mirrors for Fusion OS?

I'm the only one seeding, so be patient ;)

http:// t i n y u r l .com/d4qfqj9
[/CODE]

I'm not sure if I understand the issue here, even when you use remastersys with minimal Ubuntu as base, the same commands for fetching the source code that work in Ubuntu work just the same in FusionOS. Since you are in fact using the same repositories a simple apt-get source should fetch the same source code for a given package the way Ubuntu does. And that command covers the entire OS package base AFAIK.

Actually, I just checked, that's the same way Linux Mint deals with releasing the source code:

Some of the packages we distribute are under the GPL. If you want to access their source code you can use the apt-get source command. If you can't find what you're looking for please write to root AT linuxmint DOT com and we'll provide the source to you.

From their website.

The only source code you should release manually or set up a source repository for it should be the packages you've modified (for instance if you wrote a new Software Center and used Ubuntu's software center as the base).

I don't see the issue here. Get back to work :p

So what does this comment mean then, in your post

Sorry, I didnt mean to confuse anyone. We start with the Ubuntu Minimal installer in a VirtualBox environment, and then it downloads and compiles the Ubuntu base install which is just a command line. Then we download and compile Gnome 3. And we then implement our UI which includes custom window themes and GTK themes. And many tweaks to Gnome and Gnome Shell as you have seen in the screenshots. We try to clean up menus, and make things more slee, user friendly, and simple.

I'm not sure if I understand the issue here, even when you use remastersys with minimal Ubuntu as base, the same commands for fetching the source code that work in Ubuntu work just the same in FusionOS. Since you are in fact using the same repositories a simple apt-get source should fetch the same source code for a given package the way Ubuntu does. And that command covers the entire OS package base AFAIK.

Actually, I just checked, that's the same way Linux Mint deals with releasing the source code:

From their website.

The only source code you should release manually or set up a source repository for it should be the packages you've modified (for instance if you wrote a new Software Center and used Ubuntu's software center as the base).

I don't see the issue here. Get back to work :p

So what your saying is we would just have to set up a repository for our modified applications, and our themes and icons and so forth?

Sorry, I didnt mean to confuse anyone. We start with the Ubuntu Minimal installer in a VirtualBox environment, and then it downloads and compiles the Ubuntu base install which is just a command line. Then we download and compile Gnome 3. And we then implement our UI which includes custom window themes and GTK themes. And many tweaks to Gnome and Gnome Shell as you have seen in the screenshots. We try to clean up menus, and make things more slee, user friendly, and simple.

So what your saying is we would just have to set up a repository for our modified applications, and our themes and icons and so forth?

You just need to provide access to what you have modified. Nothing more. You didn't write Ubuntu. If someone wants the source code for Ubuntu, they can go get it themselves.

As long as you're providing YOUR OWN modifications, you're fine. Just a little piece of advice though, if you're unsure of what you should be doing with regards to licensing, research it. There is no reason to quit simply because some idiot threatens you. Also, if you haven't even been contacted about the GNU, I'm not sure why you're even worried.

In the end, if you're really going to be doing this, you'll need thicker skin ;) Don't be so easily jarred.