Fusion OS

Here is the update that was promised! :) I will be posting a screenshot below, and I am going to post the Minimum Requirements for Fusion OS alpha 1. The User Interface here, as I said before is about 45% done. We will be replacing the Ubuntu logo with our new official logo (I will post that also) and the panels will be tweaked in ways such as: layout, applets, and overall design. Also if you notice the way the windows are displayed in the bottom panel, that will also be getting a skin. Fusion OS by default will use the Metacity Composition Engine to create drop shadow, and overall a better experience. With higher end hardware though you will be able to enable Compiz Fusion effects as well. The minimum requirements are as follows:

? 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit Processor

? 1GB of system memory (RAM)

? 10Gb of hard drive space

? Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

? A CD/DVD drive or USB port (for installation)

Thanks for reading, and we will be posting more updates as they come. So stay tuned for more!

- Keith Wright

fusionosfpr201011031730.th.png fusionlogo.png

Wow, why don't you guys stop being a bunch of ######. I'm getting tired of the "it looks like Windows" or "it looks like Mac". They ALL look similar. If you're tired of how they look, come up with something yourself that's absolutely 100% original, keeping in mind you may not have a bar at the top or bottom, or a dock. Now what will you use that will be as functional and be 100% original? Perhaps the reason they are similar is because there is a limited number of things you CAN do without spending millions in research and development. Also, suggesting he build an entirely new OS rather than base it on Linux is ridiculous. You realize that would be basically an impossible feat for someone to take on on their own, not to mention no software would work on it if you built a whole new system. Why don't you guys just let him do his thing and see how it turns out. If you don't like it, press the back button and don't comment. Maybe nothing will come of the project, maybe it will be the next big Linux distro. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• Like 2

Good luck! :) I, and a few others here were involved with Shift, so we have some idea of what you're trying to do and the work involved. Just be aware that unless it is truly outstanding it will be derided as just another 'buntu in new clothes. Keep the momentum, and keep your goals in sight.

RKWJ25: It seems to me like you created a very clean looking theme from GNOME 2.x. Whether it's necessary to create a whole new Linux distro around it I'm not entirely sure. Personally I don't think so, but I can understand the appeal of making something of your own. Couldn't you just release your theme for Ubuntu for example?

About the theme itself: I'm a big fan of the window theme. I don't think I've seen such a clean looking file manager window on Linux before. The corners seem a bit pixelated, maybe you can fix that. I would take the min/max/close buttons into a different direction though, something more unique to you rather than using Windows Basic's approach. The upper and bottom bars look like a stretched out Mac OS X Menu Bar gone wrong. Those definitely need more work.

As said before it looks nice and clean, but it doesn't exactly blow me away at this point. I'm interested to see where this will go.

The icons you are using aren't your own right?

Wow, why don't you guys stop being a bunch of ######. I'm getting tired of the "it looks like Windows" or "it looks like Mac". They ALL look similar. If you're tired of how they look, come up with something yourself that's absolutely 100% original, keeping in mind you may not have a bar at the top or bottom, or a dock. Now what will you use that will be as functional and be 100% original? Perhaps the reason they are similar is because there is a limited number of things you CAN do without spending millions in research and development.

Well, not really no. Mac OS X and Windows have two very distinct desktops and window styles. While there are bound to be similarities between the two - Apple was clearly inspired by Aero when it equipped Leopard with a transparent Menu Bar, and Microsoft took elements like the round wait circle and drop down arrows from Aqua - overall both Aqua and Aero have two very different personalities. In my opinion there are too many Linux distros out there that randomly copy interface elements from Windows and Mac OS X left and right and simply smack them together. This without giving much thought about if it really works and without even trying to be original. In the case of RKWJ25's previous mockups I'm wondering if it's really necessary to copy Windows XP's start menu or the Mac OS X Dock basically 1:1. I've seen enough themes and mockups out there made by people on the internet (without "spending millions in research and development") with a lot more originality. I applaud Ubuntu for taking its own route with its dark interface colors which look nothing like either Aqua or Aero.

Anyway, that's just my honest point of view. If that makes you tired, so be it... (Y)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted an update about Fusion OS. I don?t want you to think we haven't been making progress, because we have been turning in the hours. :) As you probably know by now we have chosen not to release an Alpha build for one because the alpha had many incomplete features and also had a show stopper bug with the window manager. So what we are going to do is move right into Beta territory. Now since the last publicly shown screen shot the User Interface was not up to par at that point hopefully you will see the hard work that has been put into this refined UI you will see in the picture below. The panels have new graphics (you can choose from rounded or un-rounded) that a more sleek, and blended together gradient. Also you may notice we are sporting a new icon set, and fonts. The windows theme has been changed to a custom created one with transparency enabled.

We have switched our window decorator from Metacity (default Gnome) to Compiz. This allows for transparency, effects among MANY other things. Also the icon based taskbar is not included yet due to a multitude of bugs at this time, but the one right now features window previews when you hover over the taskbar tile. Also this build has widgets that you can turn on, and off, and now changes from Metactiy Composition Compiz Composition, which provides transparency, minimize and open effects, window previews, drop-shadows, and much more which will all be customizable through a control panel like interface. The GTK theme is also a custom one which is not done yet, but IS featured in this build.

We are REALLY trying to create a consistent UI that brings everything together and with the new icons, and themes you can see the direction we are going in. I will now without further ado post the screen shot for you all to see. Please post your feedback! There is also going to be a bug tracker online to submit bugs when the Beta comes out. It will be accessible at http://www.bugs.fusionos.net/ but is not yet live. We are expecting the Beta to be released early January 2011. And many more updates and screen shots along the way!

Thanks for reading!

- Keith Wright.

PS: Also notice the new notification area in the top right hand corner.

fosbetafbp1.png

What is the motivation behind creating this? - I mean it just looks like Windows with that aero interface, if you want Windows why not just run Windows from the start? :huh:

Also just as some general critique the drop shadow in that screen shot to me is to strong, it overpowers the eye and takes you towards the dark void beneath the top menubar.

In my opinion I think FusionOS looks promising. My tip: Take out the OS in FusionOS ;). Also you should replace the ubuntu logo on the top left with your logo. My question is: Will there be an app store like ubuntu on the OS?

In my opinion I think FusionOS looks promising. My tip: Take out the OS in FusionOS ;). Also you should replace the ubuntu logo on the top left with your logo. My question is: Will there be an app store like ubuntu on the OS?

That is one of our ideas to include an app store, so I will say eventually yes. We are testing many User Interface designs at the moment this one, and another that right now may be taking the lead over this one I will write more about that interface tomorrow, and show our concept. Oh and to the person that said about the windows being aero. Their not, thats not what were going for. No resources from aero were used for our theme. More on the possible interface tomorrow. Stay tuned!

- Keith.

PS: The strong drop shadow is because of a bug right now. When Compiz starts, it overlays the Metacity drop shadow, and it only happens on the top panel. We are looking into it.

Oh and to the person that said about the windows being aero. Their not, thats not what were going for. No resources from aero were used for our theme.

I never made the claim that you were using resources from Windows in your builds. Merely that it looks identical to aero. Which it does. You even have the blue edge on the glass like aero has, you can't claim that it doesn't look like aero because it does..

IMO - WAY to many design ideas taken from Aero.

-Border style

-Min/Max/Close buttons

-The bottom bar looks just like the SuperBar in W7... I even see 'Aero Peek'...

Am I missing something? What is going to make this distro stand out? :/

I never made the claim that you were using resources from Windows in your builds. Merely that it looks identical to aero. Which it does. You even have the blue edge on the glass like aero has, you can't claim that it doesn't look like aero because it does..

yeah, i just saw this thread, and after seen the screenshot - it is an obvious windows copy - even copying the part i hated about vista - the blue edge.

come on now... why is it there?

Why would you need a bar on the top and one on the bottom? Chose one.

that's where concept two comes in stay tuned

IMO - WAY to many design ideas taken from Aero.

-Border style

-Min/Max/Close buttons

-The bottom bar looks just like the SuperBar in W7... I even see 'Aero Peek'...

Am I missing something? What is going to make this distro stand out? :/

it looks so similar because it is based off another theme it is just a placeholder. that's why it has the blue edge, and there is no aero peek?

that's where concept two comes in stay tuned

it looks so similar because it is based off another theme it is just a placeholder. that's why it has the blue edge, and there is no aero peek?

Ok I guess...

Then whats going on with the bottom bar? Looks just like Aero Peek / that vista preview box when you hoover over a window in the taskbar. :/

Ok I guess...

Then whats going on with the bottom bar? Looks just like Aero Peek / that vista preview box when you hoover over a window in the taskbar. :/

Uhh is it correct for me to assume that new distros are not allowed to include features that people like? e.g. showing a thumbnail representation of the window you currently have the mouse over?

the way you people complain just leads me to believe you want an operating system minus any features found in windows and osx

* Can't have a dock

* Can't have aero like features

* No superbar

* can't use min/(max/)restore/exit

* can't use rounded/smooth edges

it would appear their intention is to build an os thats functional, efficient and simple to use

whether thats combining the functionality/style/ease of use of windows 7 and the power of linux into a product that anyone can use (that can atleast use windows) then thats seems like a great idea if they can pull it off

besides anything that can help linux spread is always great, all good OS deserve attention

Hello,

Today I am going to be showing you the new desktop for Fusion OS. As you will see from the screenshot, A LOT has changed we have taken the feedback you all have proivded and have come up with this. I think it is much more "origional" than the last. We are now favoring darker colors, with dark transparency, and subtle gradients here and there. There is now only one taskbar that houses a main menu based on gnomenu. Which specifically will be based off the theme Dark Candy for gnomenu. Also there is a new notification are in the top right corner of the screen, this will stay on the desktop only and will be covered up by maximized windows. Right now we are sticking with the default Gnome window manager for the taskbar, and will work on the icon based one in the future, it will not be in the Beta slated for January. We will still be using Compiz as the primary compositing engine, which means there will be a requirement of at least 512 Mb of RAM but 1 Gb is reccomended. And you can also see how the window previews will work. I will post more actual screen shots tomorrow. Please critque, and give your suggestions because that is the only way we can improve! Also the white square is a place holder for the start button.

- Keith.

fusionosnewdesktop.png

Very nice, but why can't it all be just in the taskbar?

I actually like the separation. If the time was moved to the top right corner then the user would know that all windows are on the bottom with all relevant notifications being on the top right. If a shortcut/hotkey could bring the notification area to the top (and optionally hide it again) then it would provide the user with easy access to notifications when and if they want it.

@RKWJ25 - don't let the nay-sayers get you down; 90% of them have no real concept of what it takes to pull a distro together, let alone making one that intends to stand apart from all of the other distros.

To the people who cry "What? Yet another distro?!": That is what Linux and the Open Source community is all about - being able to build upon fairly strong foundations and create something unique; if you whiners don't get that, then you completely miss the whole concept of Open Source.

I know that some of you reading this post from me and know me here are probably saying "He's defecting from Redmond!" - nothing could be farther from the truth. You see, I *was* somewhat involved in an Open Source project quite a few years ago called....ummm....LiteStep. I also cut my "computer" teeth on BSD Unix back when I worked at the Computing Center at Lawrence Berkeley Labs in the late 1970's, so I *do* have a little bit of a connection to *nix OS'es.

Keep on rollin', RKWJ25!

--ScottKin

Well obliviously its not just me doing this, and you can think what you want. By the way the site is not finished yet I think you probably could have figured that out by looking at it? I also don't see how you can make that judgement when you haven't even seen screen shots or anything of the project yet? Why dont you wait until the Alpha comes out give that a try and then give your opinion. :whistle:

why don't you wait til the Alpha comes out and then post screenshots etc...instead of advertising it like a premature ejaculator? hmmmm?

Omg this looks awesome I would be very happy to try it out for yah and hopefully one day run it as my primary OS (If it hopefully get s to that stage)

My Suggestions:

1. That notification bar is awesome! But Maximized windows go over it so I suggest maybe finding a way to hover over it and it pops up or integrate it into the explorer bar when a window is maximized, maybe a button above the min/max/close

2. Use your logo for the start menu =P

3. An app store would be necessary as you want to keep people away from command lines

Keep up the great work, can't wait until beta =)