450d low light performance

By no means I consider myself a pro or even anything close to that, but during the last few years ive been using my 350d Ive grown really accustomed to it and all its settings and balah blah blah. This weekend I had a bit of time to play around with 450d, and one thing totally confused me. Its low light performance. While with 350d I could shoot rather great high ISO pictures in low light (yes, there was grain, but still), for the love of god, no matter what I tried it was just dark as hell. ISO 1600 with 1/2s exposition and lowest apperature possible and still dark as hell, while just by eye, I thought that 350d could do better at ISO 800 and 1/10 or something like that. It had a stock lense, but thats not the case, as I recall that 40d, when I had the chance to snap some pics with it, had the same problem. So, tell me, what is the painfully obvious thing I am missing?

TWO cameras had this problem? It's obviously user error then, no offense.

Check back and make 100% sure the settings are the same. do ISO1600 F5.6 1/30 or something like that. That should create 3 similar images from 3 cameras all within about 1/2 of a stop of each other.

To be fair the 450D is a naff camera xD Just after my 400D broke i borrowed my friends 450D to do some photos of tour of Britain, spent the night before and most the morning playing with it, that afternoon i got 3-4 good shots... It's not very easy to use compared to the 400D which if you ask me is a wonderful camera.

TWO cameras had this problem? It's obviously user error then, no offense.

Check back and make 100% sure the settings are the same. do ISO1600 F5.6 1/30 or something like that. That should create 3 similar images from 3 cameras all within about 1/2 of a stop of each other.

I know it is, but i just cant figure out where the error is. Don't have it on my hands anymore. Will try to find a photo tho, but EXIF probably wont tell much.

it's going to be next to impossible to figure out what happened unless you have 1 photo from each camera using the exact same lens pointed at the exact same object under the same conditions. And both photos have to have EXIF data lol

Yes, the scenario you are describing makes no sense. Regardless of the noise levels, the shot from the 450 should be more luminous under the exact same conditions.

I know, right :D But ok, nevermind. Like crazy88s said, without both cameras on hand it's just guessing, and I did that on my own to no avail, but thanks anyways.