[iPhone] Epic's Infinity Blade (formerly Project Sword)

Project Sword, the technologically impressive game you've been using to show off your new iPhone 4 to friends, family and Charlie Chaplin, is set to become a full game this holiday. Dubbed "Infinity Blade," the Chair-developed "action-RPG sword fighting adventure" will be available for iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch.

Infinity Blade will feature single-player battles within ye olde castle environments and will gradually grant you experience, improved stats and more powerful items. It will be expanded to support a multiplayer mode (and Game Center) via free updates after launch.

According to Epic Games, the Unreal Engine 3-powered demo landed in the hands of over one million people, lured in by the promise of what the company calls "triple-A mobile gaming." How much are people willing to pay for triple-A mobile gaming? Epic has yet to announce a price, but it'll have to be careful not to build a costly moat around its spot on the App Store.

infinity-bladeinfinityblade6.jpg

infinity-bladeinfinityblade.jpg

infinity-bladeinfinityblade2.jpg

infinity-bladeinfinityblade5.jpg

I'm so glad Chair is working on this. Can't wait till it's available.

The Epic Citadel graphics were stunning. Can't wait to play a game with that. Damn, look that monster level of details!

This really shows just how well the Unreal Engine scales to different hardware. I'd love to play it but I use Android :cry:. Still, I hear that Rage is coming to Android as well as the iPhone.

For some reason it reminded me of Demon Souls tbh :laugh: Looking forward to seeing more gameplay videos of it ^_^

This really shows just how well the Unreal Engine scales to different hardware. I'd love to play it but I use Android :cry:. Still, I hear that Rage is coming to Android as well as the iPhone.

No Rage is not coming to Android at all right now. tho while he did tweet about it he has siad in this other tweet http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack

I am going to take a stab at bringing Rage up on Android soon, but we have NOT committed to a product.

10:50 AM Oct 30th via web

id software are releasing a game called 'Mutant Bash TV' which is based around rage and uses a modified version of id tech 5 engine. I didn't read anything about it coming to Android though? I thought it was only being developed for iPhone 4 but I could be wrong.

So how are they pulling this off on the iPad?

Is the trick here:

low polygon count

low sprite count (2 on screen at a time)

High res textures

Style over substance (in regards to polygons)

It does look amazing from a distance and it looks great fun to play, however a closer look and it's smoke and mirrors.

Clever stuff!

So how are they pulling this off on the iPad?

Is the trick here:

low polygon count

low sprite count (2 on screen at a time)

High res textures

Style over substance (in regards to polygons)

It does look amazing from a distance and it looks great fun to play, however a closer look and it's smoke and mirrors.

Clever stuff!

Since this isn't 2D, it doesn't use sprites.

Also, we're talking about an iphone, so who cares what they do to make it look this good. At least they're making it look this good.

Since this isn't 2D, it doesn't use sprites.

Also, we're talking about an iphone, so who cares what they do to make it look this good. At least they're making it look this good.

What's the world for a 3D sprite? As in a moving or animated game object?

Also to answer your question. I care.

A 3D game could use sprites extensively, such as smoke/particle/weather effects, grass or trees.

Anyway.

that looks insane, also that trailer shows it running really well too.

how are they pulling this off on a phone?

the game is actually in the latest iPad ad..

And people say that the iPhone/iPad can't be home to full length titles. The tech is clearly in place for someone to take advantage of it, if they wish to.

Can't wait to see more games like this hit the App Store :)

methinks they can take advantage of being on a mobile device abit better than that... if they have many different levels to choose from, maybe they can tie in abit of geolocation and choose the level based on the physical location of the device... geolocation can maybe also be used to locate other Infinity Blade players so they could get in some local multiplayer action, with the level being chosen depending on where they are, of course... which could be trippy

the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games were known for their user-made maps, maybe they could release UnrealEd for Infinity Blade? that could seriously ramp up the replay value of the game, a guy can make a map and assign its geolocation to his home or something, so when he has his friends over , they get geolocationally assigned to the map he made... its like theyre not only visiting his real life home, they are also visiting his Infinity Blade map as well

or using the accelerometer as part of the moveset, like jerking the iphone/ipad in a certain direction to execute an action in that direction in-game

Looks amazing. The thought of playing something like that on a phone is definitely crazy (thought I imagine it will drain your battery in short order). Obviously the nice graphics aren't going to matter if there's no good gameplay to go along with it, but I have faith in Chair after Shadow Complex.

Only thing that I'm not sure about are the actual touch controls in the debut trailer. Hopefully there is some strategic element to the combat, so that you're not just flinging and flicking with reckless abandon.

Only thing that I'm not sure about are the actual touch controls in the debut trailer. Hopefully there is some strategic element to the combat, so that you're not just flinging and flicking with reckless abandon.

Apparently it's going to be a turn based RPG so that might prohibit any type of swipe spamming

• 5 weeks later...

Just downloaded it.

This is probably the best looking game I've ever seen on a portable platform. It really looks unbelievable.

The combat system is really remeniscent of Punch Out. So fun.

It seems to use a lot of system resources, so I had to close almost all of my apps to increase the framerate.