New Equipment!

UPS showed up at my door today.

D90, 18-105mm VR kit lens, and 70-300mm extra. :D

This all replaces my D3000 set I sold earlier today.

/me is a happy Chronopoulous

IMG_0097.jpg

Depending on the price you got the D90 and your photographic skills/needs, you shoulda just gotten a D7000 :p

But that'll be a good upgrade from the D3000. Enjoy :p

That's you sorted for the next 5 years then!

Good job.

Buying a DSLR starts an addiction, sure, his kit makes perfectly fine photos. But he'll want MORE soon enough!!! :p

Buying a DSLR starts an addiction, sure, his kit makes perfectly fine photos. But he'll want MORE soon enough!!! :p

Yea he'll soon discover those lenses are crap and then the body will be obsolete or his needs will change in 2 years.

Welcome to Digital Photography :p

Great, feel free to share the results in the gallery thread.

Will do. I just need to find time to get out and do some shooting. I have some stuff in there already.

Yeah yeah. I've gone from a D40 to a D80 (had to sell in hard financial times), D3000, and now the D90. I'm certainly not new to the addiction. :p

Yea he'll soon discover those lenses are crap and then the body will be obsolete or his needs will change in 2 years.

Welcome to Digital Photography :p

Again, yeah yeah. :p

I plan on keeping this body for a while. I do, however, intend to build my lens collection when I get some more cash.

Sounds like a plan. There's 2 routes I suggest.

1.) Fast Primes.

35mm, 50mm, 85mm, umm... what's after that for nikon? 105mm? 200mm

2.) Fast zooms

12-24mm (or some equivilant, there's like 3456 good wide angles these days), 24-70mm (or 17-55mm), 70-200mm.

That'll be a good start for ya :p. You're free to mix n match too, if ya want.

Sounds like a plan. There's 2 routes I suggest.

1.) Fast Primes.

35mm, 50mm, 85mm, umm... what's after that for nikon? 105mm? 200mm

2.) Fast zooms

12-24mm (or some equivilant, there's like 3456 good wide angles these days), 24-70mm (or 17-55mm), 70-200mm.

That'll be a good start for ya :p. You're free to mix n match too, if ya want.

Fast zooms are WAY to expensive to start (at least for a university student like myself lol)... and besides that, primes are better because it forces you to actually move yourself to get a shot, then to just zoom in on the object, and then you end up finding new/interesting angles... which after time become habit, then it's fine to just use a zoom, since you have that experience

As I said, I started with a D90 and an 18-105/70-300... my next lens was a 50mm 1.4, then a 105mm 2.5 (both manual focus - I don't recommend getting manual focus, but they were given to me) then I purchased a 35mm 1.8 prime, then a 105mm 2.5 prime (macro VR)... and then finally a 11-16 2.8 for ultra wide...

basically I use my 35mm and 105mm... I haven't used my 18-105... in like, who knows how long. same goes for the 70-300 (the extra reach is nice though for when I need it)... but basically I loved the 18-105 and 70-300 UNTIL I actually purchased a prime lens. they kick ASS!

I'm a university student too. Just gotta plan out your financial priorities :)

I guess I prefer zooms cuz most of my work is photojournalistic (specifically sports), and a lot of times you can't zoom by walking.

I'm a university student too. Just gotta plan out your financial priorities :)

I guess I prefer zooms cuz most of my work is photojournalistic (specifically sports), and a lot of times you can't zoom by walking.

True, but I don't do any "work" in terms of photography, it's just a hobby haha

Basically all my money is going towards school then vacation to portugal each summer - to visit family -

don't have much room other than that for a nice 2.8 zoom, as much as I would like one.

but I have enough gear that I am set for just about "any" situation...

and second year I start my paid co-op so financially I will be much more free then!

True you are right!

What is the focal range for your tamron zoom?

I actually do have a 2.8 zoom... I'd hardly call it a zoom, but technically it is haha (I only use 11mm) it's a Tokina 11-16

True you are right!

What is the focal range for your tamron zoom?

I actually do have a 2.8 zoom... I'd hardly call it a zoom, but technically it is haha (I only use 11mm) it's a Tokina 11-16

I wish that lens was out when I got the tokina 12-24mm f4! It's still an awesome piece of glass though.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's the 17-50/2.8

that's indeed the one. They now have a... VC(vibration compensation)? version out that would be nice!

The 17-50 2.8 VC is just what I'm about to get :)

Glassed Silver:mac