No Operating System Found

ok mods, i know this doesnt belong in the general discussion section, but i wasnt really sure where to put it, lol....but i have a problem w/a computer at my job. Its giving me the error when it boots up that "No Operating System found" but when i go into the setup, it tells me that it has win 95/98 installed....i tried using an upgrade cd to win 95, but when i booted the system up, it didnt read the cd, and its in perfect condition, and it gave me the same error...I know that to do that, you probably have to already be running windows and what not to upgrade an OS......anyone! have any ideas, j/please post whatever u may be thinking about this, b/c anything can help, lol....ill really appreciate it if you do, thnx!

well if the CD isn't bootable then it won't read it on startup. Use a boot disk and then from DOS type d:\setup.exe, that should get you into the CD drive.

Or from the same DOS prompt type fdisk and hit enter, now run through that and remove the primary partition and then readd it (make sure you use large disk format). Now do the same as about to reinstall windows.

quick ?....i know its stupid, but its not my computer and im not sure what they did with it....but what if there is no boot disk? am i totally screwed in fixing it? or are there other options?

quick ?....i know its stupid, but its not my computer and im not sure what they did with it....but what if there is no boot disk? am i totally screwed in fixing it? or are there other options?

Download one or find somebody using windows 98 and make one ;)

you can make a boot disk yourself with windows.

and i just ran into a problem just like this, i had to get a compaq prolinea 5100 running.

i hate brand name computers for the simple reason that they use nonstandard stuff (like psu and bios).

can i make one for 98 if im running xp pro or 2000?

If you have a 98 boot disk, it will work on any x86 computer no matter what OS you use :p

You just need 98 to make it :p

the only time that's happened to me is when i was fiddling around inside the PC and came started unplugging everything. Then when i put it all back together again i switched the PC on, and "no operating system found"... i just plugged the thingy into the HD the wrong way round... whats the thingy called?!

:p

tom

ok...i've made a boot disk...i put it into the computer and i get a menu that shows up, and it says starting windows 98...

the menu says start your computer w/cd-rom drivers, or w/o...and option 3 is the help menu....iv tried all three to get into msdos, and it doesnt work...the only thing i get is a promt for A:\....and if i type fdisk/mbr or fdisk, or anything like that...it closes everything thats on the screen, and loads a new screen that says no fixed system disks present and then on the next line it shows A:\...anyone have any ideas?

normally by typing

c:

and hitting enter. Have'nt used fdisk for a long time so not sure if its even relevant. Off to google in a seperate browser window ;)

yea, but....i cant even get to fdisk...if i type fdisk c: i get something about incorrect parameters and it doesnt do anything...if i do sys c: not hing happens, incorrect parameters or something very similar...

If you have a 98 boot disk, it will work on any x86 computer no matter what OS you use :p

You just need 98 to make it :p

Actually to try the FDISK /MBR fix he should use any Win9x boot disk from Win95b to ME.

Windows XP will also create a DOS boot disk that I believe is the same as you get from ME.

I do not believe you can create a DOS boot disk from NT or 2000 and a Win95a boot disk may not work with FAT32 partitions.

That's not the way it works. He just need to set a master boot record, and good old fdisk is more than adeguate. Plus, you CAN use and create a boot disk for a 9x system from a NT system and viceversa. :rolleyes:

ok...iv gotten the prompt to show up as C:\ and yes iv checked for loose cables...iv taken them out used an air duster to make sure they are clean both on the master end, and on the end that attaches to the mobo and also the power cords...everything is as tight as they can be in the HD...but i still cant get the system to boot up..